Farming issues.

TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
I really love/hate the food and hydration and farming in this game it's like a shell of a system at the moment and I really hope that the dev's put some serious time into this for those of us really looking forward to the survival part of the game.

At the moment we can quite literally plant 1 tree in a pot or throw 1 species of fish in a tank and that's it, done, never need to build any other plant pots or plant grow beds, never need to build any other tanks or aquariums, 1 or each and were set for life.

Don't know about the rest of you but I hate that, basically if your planting more than 1 Fruit tree your doing it simply because you can, because you think it looks nice and not because if you don't your going to starve to death.

SO!...

1 fruit = 1%hp
4 fruit = 1 fruit Sections = 4%hp
4 fruit Sections = 1 fruit slice = 16%hp
4 fruit slices = 1 fruit meddly = 64%hp

Making the meddly would require 64 fruit, estimating 15 fruit per tree that's 4+ tree's being fully harvested and then crafted down to produce 64%hp food item, most people would have at least 8 Tree's in this situation to ensure they have enough supply, this is starting to feel more like farming.

If we assume that your Hunger or HP drops faster the more active you are when your swimming the ocean then the amount of Tree's needed to keep an active player alive increases which is really cool I think, These foods should only take up 1 slot not 4 and we should have item stacking why is that not a thing ?

we should apply the above logic to the fish as well, the bottom line is that we need to make farming more involved at the moment it's far to easy 1 tree, 2 fish and your sorted, with something like the above we would actually have to farm, making sure we harvest as soon as crops are ripe so that we get the most out of it to produce enough end stage food, honestly I would make it even harsher than I set out above but I suspect to many people like the 1 tree model.

Discus.

Comments

• PBSF_PendragonPBSF_Pendragon UK Join Date: 2016-05-24 Member: 217427Members
    While I like your idea. And the whole, "only need one plant / species" makes the survival aspect moot, I think it's important to strike a balance to keep it easy enough to access.

I am on survival (not hardcore, screw that... game preview, I'm going to die through bugs if not my own stupidity) but having to dedicate too much time to farming for that could become too much of a grind.
  • BaleBale France Join Date: 2015-09-05 Member: 207737Members
    Well. I like this farming system. It is kind of a pain to search for food and water. It's funny in the first stages of the game but it becomes quickly annoying.
    If you want to play a game where you spend all your time eating, i would suggest you " Don't Starve ".
  • AntoninAntonin Montréal Join Date: 2016-05-08 Member: 216529Members
    I agree that the items should take only 1 slot.
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    Bottom line, the Hunger and Hydration system with the current farming update makes survival in terms of eating and drinking to stay alive a meaningless endeavour, it's far to simple and it feels like an unfinished system.
  • TotalologistTotalologist Norwich, UK. Join Date: 2016-04-05 Member: 215379Members
    Taiphoz wrote: »
    Making the meddly would require 64 fruit, estimating 15 fruit per tree that's 4+ tree's being fully harvested and then crafted down to produce 64%hp food item

This feels like unnecessary busy-work, and not at all like interesting gameplay. I don't play farmville because resource grinding games aren't my thing. I'm here to explore.

That is before mentioning that a survivor eating 64 pieces of fruit a day is either going to be too fat to get through a hatch, or suffer from diarrhoea leading to dehydration...
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    What I'd prefer? A difficulty setting that made fruit grow more slowly.

I calculated that 1/50th of the current rate would make agriculture expensive enough that one would only have it in the larger bases (basically it'd take an entire multipurpose room to sustain an individual).
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    The only changes that I think need to be done to the Fruit are:
    1) Reduce the respawn rate, I think this is where it becomes to easy as the tree spawns fruit to quickly.
    2) Take up only 1 or 2 slots. If a Fruit is as big as my Air Tank it should fill me to full lol
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    One could also add a power penalty (due to the required lighting and desalination in order to keep the plants alive).
  • AceDynamoAceDynamo Canada Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213737Members
    I know they have plans to expand cooking, they want you to be able to mix and match ingredients to create more interesting and nutritious meals, maybe they will even add some buffs. (backlogged according to trello)