Tagging

RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
Something that occurred to me while reading through the 'we need weapons' threads was the ability to use a tranquilizer and then tag a given creature. As more complex behaviors are implemented the tags could transmit information about these behaviors. Perhaps an attachable camera to see the world as a creature sees it, ,allowing for safe study for the more aggressive forms of life. I would love to be able to see the purposes behind the stalker's playful behavior, or what exactly the trigger is for a sandshark to pop out of the sand. What do the Leviathan's actually do? Why are they so attracted to the aurora and avoid other suitable habitats?

Just my two cents.

Comments

• Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I've never supported weapons in the game, but this idea is actually great!
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    edited May 2016
    I've never supported weapons in the game, but this idea is actually great!
    Now that I'm thinking about it tranqs are pretty unnecessary since the stasis rifle exists. I haven't actually gotten to use it yet so it didn't really occur to me. They've talked about traps at one point so perhaps trapping, tagging, and releasing would also be viable.

Advantages over the scanner room: longer range since the tag follows a given creature (best for migratory species), a tracking mechanism to plot points on a map (where is this species going and why), upgradable for taking different measurements of things like temperature which might be interesting if breeding goes into the game (species x prefers shallow, warm water to breed in, for example, like most fish in real life that lay eggs in an estuary), perhaps able to moniter a given individuals intake to get a general feel of the health of the animal and, with more data, the health of a given ecosystem.

It would also require some crafting as the tag itself will need to be made as well as sensor towers and relay stations to gather the data.

I realize this might be out of the way and possibly too much detail depending on where the devs intend on going with it, but its just a thought.
  • Sub_NaughtySub_Naughty Away from Reapers Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217316Members
    edited May 2016
    Pretty cool idea, like you say the stasis rifle is quite effective but to counter that, imagive using a stasis rifle against a reaper, wacking out your DNA stick then it becomes free? I've used what you've said in a post of mine anyway as I think the idea is great! Read it here http://goo.gl/jqx9a2