Update 299 Released! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    the regular NS2 health and energy circles are displayed now togehther with the NS1 bars from NS2+ ... can you fix that please?

This should be fixed now. After a map change, take a look and see.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2016
    Since it was requested, I also put up a mod for restoring the pre-299 AV, in case you preferred it:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688075967

(This can be enabled clientside and should work on any server).
  • ResistorResistor Russia Join Date: 2014-08-01 Member: 197747Members
    Is it normal HMG shots sound like EXO shooting? Really strange choice imo.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Where to start...
    • The patch notes are unclear, but I hope/assume Vampirism works even with 1 shell? Otherwise it would be rather terrible to have one upgrade which did not, compared to all others.
    • Is the vampirism heal only on the first ambush or always? im not sure if OP if its on every hit.
    • While every commander hates the cyst damage a marine can do, this makes it sort of pointless to cut of res for most marines.. Unsure if this will be a improvement or not in general play.
    • I seriously hope there is a toggle for the alien vision is always on part.

I am less enthusiastic about the above.. I hope its all as positive as I hope it is.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Where to start...
    • The patch notes are unclear, but I hope/assume Vampirism works even with 1 shell? Otherwise it would be rather terrible to have one upgrade which did not, compared to all others.
    • Is the vampirism heal only on the first ambush or always? im not sure if OP if its on every hit.
    • While every commander hates the cyst damage a marine can do, this makes it sort of pointless to cut of res for most marines.. Unsure if this will be a improvement or not in general play.
    • I seriously hope there is a toggle for the alien vision is always on part.

I am less enthusiastic about the above.. I hope its all as positive as I hope it is.

Vampirism works the same way all the other upgrades work, progressive build up to its maximum potential at 3 upgrade chambers.

The health leech from the vampitism upgrade is for every bite, and if it turns out to be too OP, it will be tweaked, but having tested a few rounds I can say I think its pretty nice as it is.

the cysts that are cut from the cyst chain decrease in maturity very quickly, bringing them down to 30hp at 0% maturity... making it very easy for a marine to clear a room fast, it sounds confusing but it is way better than cysts were before.

Alien vision always on is just when you spawn, as always you can press F (or whatever bind you have set) to turn it off/on.

Hope this helped bud :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Well im then still not satisfied with the last one. It should be a toggle so 'we dont have to'.
    Im sure there was a ns2+ toggle for it though before the change.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    OK now this patch is very interesting.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Okay, played a couple of rounds...

Marines utterly dominated, but I don't think that was balance related. In general, no one researched/bought HMGs, but hey, they're new. General consensus seemed to be, though, that they're not really worth it. I kinda have to agree there; I probably wouldn't buy one. The only time I can imagine really needing it is to kill Onos... and killing Onos is something that requires teamwork, which your team apparently lacked until then, so HMGs won't help there. Of course I'm aware that the HMG comes straight from comp mod, so I may be proven wrong. We'll see.
    We played one round where we rushed HMGs, then w3. Of course we didn't win - but aliens had severe trouble breaking the stalemeate. We killed multiple Oni and Fades.

The one round I got to play Onos bone shield was very, very powerful. (And it looked that way from marine perspective, too.) I could literally keep pressure on a defended TP location on my own. Just disappear behind a corner and regenerate all your armor. I did this for several minutes. You don't even need a gorge, crag or hive! Saved my ass in a situation where I should have been 100% dead, too. This will probably require a nerf.
    It still doesn't help you win against a team that utilizes Exos well, though. Then again, 2 Onos (later 1) against a team that utilizes Exos well... we shouldn't have won that. (We didn't.)
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    OK well I played a few games now and have to say that it is kind of balanced.

Smart aliens win, and so do smart marines.

When I said about jpmarines being too slow to chase down onos if they have hmg, I meant more than just one guy running after an onos. I meant a few of them.

After about 5-6 games what I've seen is marines end up not researching HMG that much. Still defaulting to JP/exo with shotgun/gl.

Aliens are actively researching boneshield almost as a priority but it isn't as OP as I thought. If you aren't careful as onos you aren't going to do well. Rightly so.

Cyst changes also don't seem to have massively OP'd alien play.

HMG works as intended at close range on higher lifeforms but sadly the effective range is way too short for pub play. I think making it more expensive and increasing the damage distance would be good for pub play. Oh, and waiting eagerly for sound fix!

Overall think the patch is very interesting. Hopefully the meta will be shaken up. Really was getting stale!
  • garrehgarreh UK Join Date: 2014-02-22 Member: 194244Members
    When are the devs going to actually start whitelisting servers on the hive again? It's been 4 months without the hive on Hellarious / Shellarious servers -- they are the most popular servers in Europe and the devs are ignoring them? Come on. Whitelist them already.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited May 2016
    Okay, played a couple of rounds...

Marines utterly dominated, but I don't think that was balance related. In general, no one researched/bought HMGs, but hey, they're new. General consensus seemed to be, though, that they're not really worth it. I kinda have to agree there; I probably wouldn't buy one. The only time I can imagine really needing it is to kill Onos... and killing Onos is something that requires teamwork, which your team apparently lacked until then, so HMGs won't help there. Of course I'm aware that the HMG comes straight from comp mod, so I may be proven wrong. We'll see.
    We played one round where we rushed HMGs, then w3. Of course we didn't win - but aliens had severe trouble breaking the stalemeate. We killed multiple Oni and Fades.
    -- MARINE DAMAGE
    // assault rifle
    kRifleDamage = 10
    kRifleDamageType = kDamageType.Normal
    kRifleClipSize = 50

// vanilla HMG
    kHeavyMachineGunCost = 25

kHeavyMachineGunDamage = 6
    kHeavyMachineGunDamageType = kDamageType.Puncture
    kHeavyMachineGunSpread = Math.Radians(5)

kHeavyMachineGunClipSize = 100
    kHeavyMachineGunWeight = 0.3

// comp HMG
    kHeavyMachineGunCost = 20			// Comp Mod change, added HMG.

kHeavyMachineGunDamage = 7.0		// Comp Mod change, added HMG.
    kHeavyMachineGunDamageType = kDamageType.Puncture	// Comp Mod change, added HMG.
    kHeavyMachineGunSpread = Math.Radians(3.8)	// Comp Mod, added this for HMG.

kHeavyMachineGunClipSize = 100		// Comp Mod change, added HMG.
    kHeavyMachineGunWeight = 0.21		// Comp Mod change, added HMG.

The reload time is much faster with the vanilla one. The comp mod version had the reload animation artificially extended by slowing it down, but I guess its work in progress for the vanilla one.

I've played a bit the HMG and it felt pretty strong. You are practically never out of bullets and you can shoot at every opportunity.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    Why the mine changes?

Biting a mine so it was vulnerable to a quick parasite kill before it primed was great fun.

Everything else in this changelog I like, good job. Still salty about mass parasite and fade movement changes.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited May 2016
    Nice patch

Crush text description is a bit sketchy, what does it do exactly? Does it mean I can 2 shoot armor 0 marines with 2 bites if I have 3 shells with crush?

About the HMG I wonder if the research wouldn't be better placed as a direct option to the shotgun, so that marines have a choice instead of a path of researches.
    Please remove the holo sight, it makes no sense since marines are supposed to have a crosshair linked to their helmet HUD.

Also another idea of new weapon: a Lightning Gun that fires elecricity that slows down aliens, that could be quite cool I think.
    lA4iD1M.jpg
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Nice patch

Crush text description is a bit sketchy, what does it do exactly? Does it mean I can 2 shoot armor 0 marines with 2 bites if I have 3 shells with crush?

About the HMG I wonder if the research wouldn't be better placed as a direct option to the shotgun, so that marines have a choice instead of a path of researches.
    Also another idea for new wepon: a Lightning Gun that fires elecricity that slows down aliens, that could be quite cool.
    lA4iD1M.jpg

So funny you say that, we were joking about one yesterday... I love the yellow skin
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2016
    garreh wrote: »
    When are the devs going to actually start whitelisting servers on the hive again? It's been 4 months without the hive on Hellarious / Shellarious servers -- they are the most popular servers in Europe and the devs are ignoring them? Come on. Whitelist them already.

These server have been whitelisted as of 2:15PM Pacific. Have Fun!
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited May 2016
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    Nice patch

Also another idea for new wepon: a Lightning Gun that fires elecricity that slows down aliens, that could be quite cool.
    lA4iD1M.jpg

So funny you say that, we were joking about one yesterday... I love the yellow skin

Oh that's cool, I found this gun somewhere on epic games forums.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wake wrote: »
    But where is the ...
    ufpkz2g2e8ft.jpg

NS3: Aliens&SpaceMarines vs The Nazis
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Wake wrote: »
    But where is the ...
    ufpkz2g2e8ft.jpg

NS3: Aliens&SpaceMarines vs The Nazis

I would play the shit out of that.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited May 2016
    migalski wrote: »
    I don't know about the cyst change, it seems like you can just spam cyst across the map if you're pinned in and marines would have to constantly run around killing the cysts.

Also why not just use the comp mod hmg that has already been done...

Finally can we change cysts to like in comp mod where the farther away from a hive a cyst is then it takes longer to build and has less health? Shooting 450 hp cysts on the opposite side of the map is so tedious and annoying, any good alien comm will spam cysts making it horrible to clear out, especially now that cysts don't die.

I think you can clear cysts pretty easy now. You can cut the chain between the main hive and the natural, lane block a bit and then move along the cyst path and kill every cyst in 3 bullets.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    The Vampirism ability looks familiar.....Directly from NS2 Overhaul mod:

*Implemented Vampirism as a shell upgrade. Heals lifeform per hit

• FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
    Urge to come back to game, rising...

All I want is for the flamethrower to be useful though! It's such a newbie trap. They think since it costs 15 res it must be decent when in reality it's worse than every other gun except when it comes to killing whips.

Make the flamethrower actually fire 9000 times a second like it's supposed to so fades, lerks, and skulks can't just fly through it unscathed.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Nice patch

Please remove the holo sight, it makes no sense since marines are supposed to have a crosshair linked to their helmet HUD.

Also another idea of new weapon: a Lightning Gun that fires elecricity that slows down aliens, that could be quite cool I think.
    lA4iD1M.jpg

Looks like the gun version of a pulse grenade. But doesn't flamethrower already take out alien energy?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nice patch

lA4iD1M.jpg

Looks like the gun version of a pulse grenade. But doesn't flamethrower already take out alien energy?

Give it another purpose, slowing down is bad idea, but in itself lightning gun would be fun indeed.