Changing beacon grid spot on observatory to guard against accidental beacons

ydyydy Join Date: 2014-10-21 Member: 199067Members
Is there a reason beyond inertia not to change the beacon grid spot on the observatory from 5 (default key S) to 9 (default key X)? Using shift+WASD to pan it's only a matter of time before you miskey it. It'd better for a small and simple mistake like this not to have to hurt your team so bad.

Comments

• radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited March 2016
    accidental beacons seem to me like an unnecessary rite of passage for newer commanders, and yet it happens to even the most experienced of comms. since a beacon can't be cancelled, they have the potential to cause a snowball effect for the marines.

ydy's suggestion is a good one to help prevent them, and definitely worth exploring. i wonder if using a different icon (perhaps rotating the beacon symbol to more resemble an exclamation point? ;) or even adding a cautionary style to the button would help.

for example:
    XFp0FN8.png
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I never quite understood why the default bounds for structure upgrades are the same as your camera movement keys, it's clunky, inefficient and has accident prone written all over it IMO.
  • ydyydy Join Date: 2014-10-21 Member: 199067Members
    nwBWiGu.png

Either of spot 7 (F) or 9 (X) would be a big improvement. 8 (C/G mess) is available but I'd avoid it. Let's fast-track this into 293 gogogo
    radionaut wrote: »
    adding a cautionary style to the button would help
    A visual change wouldn't help anything for miskeys but yeah that'd be good overall

I was hoping to make a client-side-only mod so that people could opt into this change immediately but apparently the grid spot mappings are kept in a Lua file and no mod can touch any Lua file unless it's running on the server. So forward-thinking server ops, check out Steam Workshop: Beacon on X. The source for it is tiny.

To support for vanilla go vote at feedback.userreport.com: Move beacon grid spot on observatory from 5 (default key S) to 9 (default key X).

Failing that, at least vote to make the grid spot mappings client-side-moddable: feedback.userreport.com: Move commander interface grid spot mappings out of Lua space.
  • knoxafknoxaf USA Join Date: 2014-02-22 Member: 194233Members
    I misclicked it once but it was because my brain told me push S for scan.

Please change it per ydy's suggestion.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    Please change this as suggested in the OP. If you make this happen, it fixes an issue. The community will be happy, and it's a good idea.
  • MOMOhandsetMOMOhandset uniteds tates Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213668Members
    definitely an annoying feature. beaconing marines when trying to scan and medpack at the same time is something all commanders cringe about. this is also the only thing i genuinely get upset at in this game
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    While I agree that the position of the grid spot should be changed to prevent accidents, I don't get this hand wringing over scans and meds. Do you guys actually select the obs to scan? That just seems odd.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aeglos wrote: »
    While I agree that the position of the grid spot should be changed to prevent accidents, I don't get this hand wringing over scans and meds. Do you guys actually select the obs to scan? That just seems odd.

This.
  • KanehKaneh Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174783Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    because you hotkey the obs for when you DO want to beacon quickly
    Yes, but you don't usually scan with your obs selected as scans are available in the same menu as meds, which was my point.
    Still happens all the time
    edited August 2016
    I think it's time to bring up this idea again. Ydy brings up a good point. This has happened too many times over the course of this game for this to be ignored. It might seem like a simple thing, but I think it's a very important change to make. It's game ruining when this happens and it's a trap that can happen to any commander. I think this is a great time to make this change with the upcoming commander tutorial. Thoughts?
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Or... you could just add a button to cancel the beacon... maybe just make it so that when you recycle it cancels, like when you recycle a phasegate it no longer functions... and recycling can be cancelled too.
    ^The problem with that is aliens react to the beacon to make big plays on a phase gate/decision to do something on the map. If you could fake out an alien team with a beacon, I think it makes for worse game-play. I think it just needs to be tougher to beacon by mistake. Seems to fix the issue and not cause a big fake out problem.
    I'm sure you are all better players (and commanders) than me, but the only time I ever select my obs is to hotkey it, to research phase gates and finally to beacon. I don't get why this is such an issue.

I mean, it seems a fairly simple change with only benefits and inconsequential downsides, but why are you guys specifically bringing it up? I mean, it seems more of a rookie trap than something veterans are susceptible to. Much less competitive players like yourselves.
    ^This is to help out all commanders. Even if this just helped new commanders, that's a good thing. Why can't I bring up an idea that makes the game better?
    Because it is very unlikely to occur to yourselves? I mean people don't usually think about it unless it has happened to them, whether on the field or as commander. I can count on both my hands that it has happened to me or my commander in the maybe 1000 hours I spent as a marine. And I'm not particularly skilled, nor are the majority of my commanders. Any benefit is better than none, and I support the change, but what has me perplexed is why has this became such an issue that you have to advocate for a change, especially when you should be seeing the least of it.
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    Aeglos, what is with all this frivolous nitpicking about the reasons for a change that you clearly support? it has grown tiresome.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    It only loosely ties here, but sometimes when I'm medding, I somehow trigger the beacon despite I havent selected the hotkey for it.
    Has anyone bumped into this, or is it only my user error?
    radionaut wrote: »
    Aeglos, what is with all this frivolous nitpicking about the reasons for a change that you clearly support? it has grown tiresome.

Genuine confusion? What is this defensiveness?
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2016
    Playing regularly the past week I've seen unintentional at least once per day.. probably even more... mostly by less experienced commanders, but even to experienced commanders it happens and it really screws up the game...

This has great benefits with comparatively little effort.. so please do something about it
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    All that needs to be done is have the beacon hotkey moved further away from phasegate research and also moved from the movement binds as they are too close to each other for an accidental press, other researchable tech can get away with this as you can simply cancel the request and have your resources refunded.

Beaconing on the other hand often has disastrous consequences and is non refundable.

Case solved.
    Case solved, but is it solved? UWE confirmation?
    edited August 2016
    Cancelable beacon can be used to scare away base rushing aliens...
    Onos on the powernode?
    BEEP-BEEP *onos retreats* BEEP-BE *beacon canceled*

Not saying that it's definitely bad thing, just has to be considered.
    I could also image a button for it which has to be pressed twice (dblclicked/tapped) to do it's job
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Cancelable beacon can be used to scare away base rushing aliens...
    Onos on the powernode?
    BEEP-BEEP *onos retreats* BEEP-BE *beacon canceled*

Not saying that it's definitely bad thing, just has to be considered.
    I could also image a button for it which has to be pressed twice (dblclicked/tapped) to do it's job

I can imagine double pressing a key would lead to another "hidden mechanic", since no other mechanic requires you to double press?
    Right... scrap the last sentence :D
    Maybe move it to a submenu then? Like dropping equipment
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    Yesterday again 3 failbeacons...
    Don't suppose we can get an update of this idea? @remi It's a pretty good one