'AURORA FALLS' - A Subnautica story.

Comments

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited May 2016
    The following morning, I had two basic options. I could either kick my heels idly and mope around The Broch until the AIs had worked out the tau-muon detection problem, or I get out there and do something vaguely worthwhile. It was all a bit of a non-question, actually. Besides, this situation gave me a plausible excuse to take out the ExoSuit again. I discovered that I was rapidly developing an enthusiastic attachment to this vehicle. Shortly before I left The Broch, I dragged all three AIs down to the hangar bay for an official christening of all four ExoSuits.

Gawain was mine. Guinevere was JUNO's. Galahad was assigned to IANTO, and Percival to DIGBY. Since they were the most effective combat-capable vehicles currently at our disposal, it seemed only right and proper to name them after central characters in Arthurian legends. The fact that ExoSuits closely resembled suits of mediaeval plate armour was entirely coincidental.

Of course, I could have taken the boring route and named them 'ExoSuit One' through 'ExoSuit Four', but where's the fun in that?

My first port of call was the wrecked Lifepod. Pod Seven.
    The very fact that the pod was submerged and partially destroyed should have been sufficient reason to pass it by, although I felt it necessary to examine at least one Lifepod for any signs of irregularity. I was full expecting heavy blast damage to be the norm here, although it wouldn't be entirely out of the question to find relatively intact pods on the bottom as well. Pod Seven had suffered a massive internal explosion, most likely originating in its bank of PermaCells. The side emergency access panel had blown out completely, taking the buoyancy chambers with it. Small wonder that pod went straight to the bottom.

There was nothing more to be learned here. I headed east, aiming for the unexplored region just off Aurora's port bow. To pass the time, I activated the suit's audio entertainment system. Ironically, the first random track that it played was a little something from Blue Oyster Cult...

'Don't Fear The Reaper'.

In a way, that song was particularly appropriate. I had come a very long way from being a lone defenceless swimmer, dropped practically empty-handed into a pitiless alien ocean. What I had now still fell considerably short of an absolute mastery of my environment, although I have reached a stage where there were very few things remaining on this planet that I truly feared. Surprisingly, it always came back down to Crawlers, Biters, Crashes and Bleeders. Now that I had the ExoSuit, even these tiny demons of the mind might eventually fade into insignificance, although I sincerely doubted it. You can't live inside an armoured shell forever.

This was the paradox of armour. If you felt truly safe only as long as you remained inside it, there was no way that an armoured vehicle would be considered an entirely effective defence measure. In my case, I could safely leave the ExoSuit while it was underwater, secure in the knowledge that if needs be, one of the AIs would instantly take control of the ExoSuit and use it to defend me. Naturally, there were areas on this planet where extreme environmental conditions made it an instantly fatal proposition to leave the ExoSuit. It was the certainty of knowing that I'd soon have to venture into these areas that concerned me the most right now.
    When it comes to designing weird life forms, Manannán wins hands-down. This new biome was sparsely vegetated for the most part, although the dominant species of flora in this area was well represented. Perfectly spherical purple bushes, as far as the eye could see. Some were tiny, not much larger than a basketball, while others grew to at least 10 metres in diameter. In spite of their densely-packed appearance, these growths were actually quite soft. Bright blue photophores were dotted over the upper section, giving off a pleasant blue bio-luminescent light. The plant was supported by a dense, twisted skein of slim roots, forming a stubby but secure foundation in the seafloor's bare rock.

"What's the analysis on this one, JUNO?"

"Communal plant specimen, Captain. No stinging cells or toxic exudates detected on external structure. Completely harmless. No other resident life forms are detected within the central structure. This plant has significant nutritional and hydration value. Samples may be collected for cultivation as a potential food source."

The growth reminded me of those squishy rubber filament balls. More a tactile toy than an actual ball you might use in a regular game, but they were curiously interesting to handle. Koosh Balls, I think they were called. Haven't seen one of those in a donkey's age, although I assume that they're still available back on Terra. This plant had the same sort of visual 'tactile' appeal. It practically invited you to bounce around on its upper surface.

"Designate new flora species as 'Koosh Bush', JUNO."

I continued to explore the area, dropping into one of the narrow side canyons that threaded through the outer edges of this region. One hundred and forty metres down at this point. There was an abundance of smaller fish here, all of the usual deep reef species were present. I thought that I saw a couple of Shuttlebugs some distance ahead, and homed in on them. Shuttlebugs are harmless scavengers that pose no threat to an unprotected diver. However, these creatures had a tendency to hang around cave openings, marking them as reliable indicators that a cave system was somewhere close nearby.

I was mistaken. Those creatures weren't Shuttlebugs. They were closer to actual fish in their overall appearance, although there was that unmistakable alien look about them. These fish have four large petal-like fins and two smaller lobes that are usually held flat against their bodies as they swim around. I watched two of these fish meet head-on, and something unusual happened. Both fish deployed their fins in a cruciform shape, circled each other face to face for a minute or so and then swam away. To my untrained eye, it looked like some sort of territorial threat display or quite possibly, a courtship ritual. I decided to watch these creatures for a while longer, if only to get a clearer idea of how they fit into the ecosystem down here.

One swam close to Gawain's observation port. It must have noticed me sitting behind the plex, because it responded with that same threat display. I was able to get an excellent view of one now. I'm not certain whether it was some trick of the light on iridescent scales or chromatophore cells in the skin of the creature, but I noticed a complex, rippling pattern begin to play over the surface of its extended fins. The patterns shifted and swirled enticingly, never once repeating themselves. It was utterly fascinating to watch. I could cheerfully do this for hours.

Suddenly, the creature opened its jaws wide and lunged forward.
  • Pudding01Pudding01 Minnesota Join Date: 2016-05-03 Member: 216308Members
    You had better not make them declare war on him! Other than that... Keep it up!

I got this account just to tell you that, and the following.

I got here VIA TvTropes.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Telepathy, perhaps? It would explain the odd sensation he's having in his head. And I imagine the Warpers are drawing their own conclusions from the pictures on the monument. Maybe they'll draw Selkirk pictures of their own and they can communicate that way. :)
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    Wow... just... wow. I got cold chills down my spine with the water reveal! Keep it up!
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    Ladies and gentlemen, the moment some of you may or may not have been waiting for... coming when Bugzapper finishes the next part. Or something.
  • Obnoxious_GamerObnoxious_Gamer Cyclops Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210938Members
    edited May 2016
    I'm willing to bet that the warpers have some sort of standardized telepathy-language as well as physical communication methods, at least in this story (that's not a suggestion - I'm one of those weirdos who likes to see the writer's imagination at work).
  • GalacaticSurvivorGalacaticSurvivor NY, United States Join Date: 2016-02-12 Member: 212919Members
    The good news and the bad news. Good news: We seem to be reaching an epic finale. Bad news: We seem to be reaching a finale. Someone please reassure me that this series will go on forever and ever, and the happiness will never end.
  • TheManOfWhyTheManOfWhy Australia Join Date: 2016-05-04 Member: 216335Members
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Totally called it.

This gets me thinking about what we as a species would do if we ever encountered sapient extraterrestrial life. We keep talking about finding and meeting up with them, but how would we actually get our messages across to them? Would we (Or they) even be capable of comprehending the thoughts and emotions they're trying to communicate? It's not like on Earth where raising your hand in greeting is a universally understood gesture, even if you don't speak the same language.

Looking forward to future updates!
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Totally called it.

This gets me thinking about what we as a species would do if we ever encountered sapient extraterrestrial life. We keep talking about finding and meeting up with them, but how would we actually get our messages across to them? Would we (Or they) even be capable of comprehending the thoughts and emotions they're trying to communicate? It's not like on Earth where raising your hand in greeting is a universally understood gesture, even if you don't speak the same language.

Looking forward to future updates!

Well, a lot of human concepts and emotions are based in fundamental facts of living on any planet. For instance, fear is a response to danger, which any living thing, no matter how powerful, will experience in one way or another. Similarly, raising an open hand has a universal meaning: by putting your only appendages capable of holding weapons in view, one can prove that you are not planing on attacking.
  • Pudding01Pudding01 Minnesota Join Date: 2016-05-03 Member: 216308Members
    This is going better than I expected! Hopefully the Warpers'll find a way to communicate with the non-telepathy based mind of our Human friend!
  • VesperVesper North, to Alaska! Join Date: 2016-01-21 Member: 211748Members
    Simply amazing. I am yet another who signed up to this forum primarily to keep up with this wonderful story. Thank you.
  • The2musketeersThe2musketeers Decatur, GA Join Date: 2016-05-04 Member: 216350Members
    I made an account solely for this as well. Amazing story! Keep it up!
  • JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    Anyone aboard the figurative hype train too?

or are they just RnR'ing me?
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
  • fangfatherhunterfangfatherhunter england Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216369Members
    In my opinion almost as good as philips pullmans dark materials exceptional
    ps im going to make a subnautica minecraft adventure map would you mind if i based it off your story
    In my opinion almost as good as philips pullmans dark materials exceptional
    ps im going to make a subnautica minecraft adventure map would you mind if i based it off your story

Be my guest.
    I've been slightly more generous with the distances between features in this world, although the map is essentially the same as you would find in the game. Merely stretched UWE's world layout, took a few liberties and added a couple of locations. :)
  • Brodude1234Brodude1234 Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215106Members
    I'm checking this story so often, I visited a minute after this section was posted! Keep up the awesome work Bugzapper!
  • GalacaticSurvivorGalacaticSurvivor NY, United States Join Date: 2016-02-12 Member: 212919Members
    I keep refreshing the page to see when the next post comes. Keep the great story going!
  • fangfatherhunterfangfatherhunter england Join Date: 2016-05-05 Member: 216369Members
    exceptional as usual
  • CrypervillaCrypervilla US Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213026Members
    Amazingly beautiful. Just... Amazing.

edited May 2016
    When I returned to the monument the following morning, I found the Warpers already hard at work on their contribution to the discussion. I made my presence known as politely as possible, then moved a short distance away to give them enough clear space to continue working. Their picture was almost complete by the time I arrived, so I was able to get a fairly decent handle on the particular concept that they were trying to convey.

In truth, the Warpers had created something equally as intricate as a Mayan calendar stone or a Tibetan mandala. It was exceptionally detailed, and I marvelled at the level of craftsmanship they had employed during its execution. As for the amount of information that this pictogram contained, it could only be described as staggering.
    World-shattering, in point of actual fact.

The central image was that of some apparently immense creature. Its upper torso appeared vaguely humanoid, although there were definite signs that it shared kinship with both reptilian and cephalopoid life forms. Its head was of a similar design to the Terran hammerhead shark, with the facial structure of a Reaper Leviathan thrown in for good measure. Its forelimbs resembled a sea turtle's flippers, and the lower half of its body bore strong similarities to a giant Pacific squid. The impressive level of fine detail that the Warpers had used in depicting this creature seemed almost... Reverent.

Various creatures were arranged in a series of concentric circles around this central figure. Some I knew only too well, and there were others I had yet to encounter. The next circle out from the central image contained extremely large and solid-looking creatures that resembled a fusion of dragon and squid. Assuming that these drawings were roughly attuned to some arbitrary scale, these draconian squid were depicted as slightly smaller than the central figure, but were no less impressive. For want of a better name, I called them 'dragon leviathans'. On closer examination, I noticed a series of fine radial lines extending out from the central figure I had named 'Sea Emperor'.

At the end of each line, a ring of different species could be found. The Warpers were in the next ring, followed by subsequent rings containing Reefbacks, Reapers, Stalkers, Sand Sharks and Bone Sharks, along with many other unknown species. Shuttlebugs, Crashes and Bleeders were on the outermost rings. If I'm interpreting this drawing correctly, it appears to be an evolutionary sequence. However, that conclusion doesn't match the genomic information I'd obtained from JUNO, IANTO or the Magellan research logs. In fact, it seemed to be more like a graphic representation of a caste system.

I almost missed a crucial clue. There was a small design beside the Sea Emperor's picture. My eyes had skipped over this object at first, since it appeared to be a purely artistic ornament. I moved closer to get a better look at this design element. This strange glyph resembled the familiar representation of the DNA molecule. An even closer examination revealed that this molecule possessed four strands. Three distinct helices were wrapped around a central core filament.

Impossible.

"JUNO." I said softly, "Are you getting this?"

"I most certainly am, Captain. It is our considered opinion that you are seeing a representation of something truly miraculous. The entity you have named 'Sea Emperor' appears to be the actual progenitor of every species currently living on this planet. He is the Alpha and Omega of all life here."
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Unless you go for a star trek level of science failure, that would surely mean that the sea emperor is not native to this planet.