Something I didn't know could happen

SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
So I was working my way down one of the large coral tubes in the shallows, trying to farm copper for batteries, etc, when something I didn't know was a thing happened. I broke a limestone chunk, and a piece of copper popped out. But before I could grab it, a stalker charged in, bit me, then grabbed my copper and swam away with it! I had no idea they'd go for anything other than scrap metal. This was both a rude awakening and very cool. Makes me want to experiment with teasing them with other metals, to see if they work (titanium chunks, uranium, silver, gold).

Comments

• j0ndavj0ndav Bristol Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214373Members
    yea, the stalkers seem really aggressive at the moment, though i think they only go for titanium.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    Hmm.If a stalker went for uranium,would it get radioactive teeth?Because
    The stalker database shows that i actually eats the scrap metal and uses it to regenerate it's teeth.

If a radioactive spider bites and creates spiderman..
    A radioactive stalker...

Jokes aside,i think it actually goes for most metals that you find.Though im not sure about Uranium
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Hmm.If a stalker went for uranium,would it get radioactive teeth?Because
    The stalker database shows that i actually eats the scrap metal and uses it to regenerate it's teeth.

If a radioactive spider bites and creates spiderman..
    A radioactive stalker...

Jokes aside,i think it actually goes for most metals that you find.Though im not sure about Uranium

Well, as is real-life, Uranium is a WHOLE 'nother level of crap to deal with than any non-radioactive minerals. Due to the cancerous effects of radiation, I would actually think it would make sense for Stalkers to have evolved to avoid it at all costs. I mean, just being around the stuff without a hazard suit can mess you up for the rest of your life, if not just end it outright.

I can only imagine what eating it would do.
  • CaricaCarica US Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214970Members
    I've had stalkers go after some titanium chunks that I scanned from a fragment I already had.... them going after copper is new to me!
    They don't seem to go after gold or silver atleast I haven't seen them do that.... yet.

stalkers with radioactive teeth?!!?! oh god no.... my poor seamoth!!! well, good thing if it starts glowing.... I won't loose it at night!!
  • Mr357Mr357 Join Date: 2015-03-31 Member: 202777Members
    I read somewhere recently that soon they'll be able to take knives (and presumably other tools) out of your hand. Pesky bastards.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    Wasn't it the rabbit rays that were to become kleptomaniacs?
  • blurbrerrrblurbrerrr Join Date: 2015-10-03 Member: 208281Members
    i saw a stalker take silver a few weeks ago..
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    j0ndav wrote: »
    yea, the stalkers seem really aggressive at the moment, though i think they only go for titanium.

Well, no, it definitely stole my copper. That's the whole point of this thread!
    blurbrerrr wrote: »
    i saw a stalker take silver a few weeks ago..

That would piss me off. Silver is such a vital resource, losing it to a stalker would suck.
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    I'll be very happy if this is the behavior that's going to stay. Sure, won't make the game easier, but definitely more fun.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    That would piss me off. Silver is such a vital resource, losing it to a stalker would suck.

As long as the stalker hoards it and the resource stays in the game, it'd be ok. The stalker hoarding piles should be like safe containers. Then I'd love to see them doing the work for me. Same with other creatures. It's important that the stolen items actually are kept in game memory for some time.
  • HaliosHalios Oz Join Date: 2015-11-27 Member: 209514Members
    Mr357 wrote: »
    I read somewhere recently that soon they'll be able to take knives (and presumably other tools) out of your hand. Pesky bastards.

Imagine if they could also use those tools. Stalkers using repulsion or propulsion cannons could be entertaining.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Tested dropping silver in front of stalkers - they do take it. Still need to test other metals.
    Tested gold and uranium - both work.
  • pengsnick68pengsnick68 USA Join Date: 2016-05-02 Member: 216267Members
    i don't think radioactivity is a problem for mobs atm, there are those leech critters in the Aurora reactor pool and after it goes kaboom and before you fix it the water is quite radioactive yet i have seen no changes in critter pop
  • pengsnick68pengsnick68 USA Join Date: 2016-05-02 Member: 216267Members
    also, they should come up with an alternative source for silver and copper, titanium can be found in 3 different ways now and quartz is all over the place above max default Seamoth depths but silver only has sandstone and copper only has limestone
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I've had a stalker grab an oxygen cylinder I was dropped.
    also, they should come up with an alternative source for silver and copper, titanium can be found in 3 different ways now and quartz is all over the place above max default Seamoth depths but silver only has sandstone and copper only has limestone

Totally. And gold is freaking everywhere.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Subnautica resource distribution:

"Yes! I struck it rich! I'm Rich I tell you! All of this copper and quartz! I can finally get all of the windows and batteries I wanted! Wait.... Dammit! It's just a bunch of diamonds and gold!"
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    While its true that copper and silver are rarer, i dont see how having some resources harder to get is bad for the game. Every game has some resources harder to get, making you work a bit for achieving some things compared to others and thus making you feel good for succeeding at something harder.

Also, while copper and silver is a bit harder to get than titanium and gold, its not that harder. Limestones are found in alot of places. sandstones are definitely the rarer nodes but if youre patient a little you can find enough for your needs. It can be a bit frustrating for new players to discover where to find silver at first, but after investing some time in exploring the biomes more in detail you can memorize what is where in more abundance imo
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    edited May 2016
    Try building a scanner room in stalker territory. Cameras are shiny. Did I leave that camera over there? Coulda sworn it was docked....

Just to make sure I wasnt crazy I piloted the other camera near the stalker, it grabbed my drone and put it by the first camera. Spent the next ten minutes playing fetch with the stalker. Wow.
    It would be amazing if the other lifeforms in the game had behaviors like that - not just mindlessly swimming around and occasionally eating something, but actually doing things.
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    Tell you what, I was delighted to see that! Unexpected clever details like that realy set a game apart. Unfortunately with all the big neat things the devs are trying to get done before release, maybe they won't put in as many of those little details as we would like.