Hive Skill Rank

MashpitSquaredMashpitSquared Texas, USA Join Date: 2014-01-13 Member: 193053Members
Is there a post somewhere explaining how the skill ranking works? No matter how well or how poorly I perform in game, I always seem to get a skill ranking between 950-1050, and I'm rather confused as to whether the skill ranking was ever implemented properly. It generally doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game, of course, but I like being able to visually see that I'm improving at the game. As it is now, I get basically the same skill score at 20/20 KDR and 40/10 KDR.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    Here you go https://moultano.wordpress.com/2014/08/04/a-skill-ranking-system-for-natural-selection-2/

It is the technical document that describes it in detail. Only the basics of that were implemented though.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2016
    You can read most details at https://moultano.wordpress.com/2014/08/04/a-skill-ranking-system-for-natural-selection-2/. However keep in mind that so far only the basic model is implemented.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    All you need to know: It's a refined Elo system where only your wins and defeats matter in the context of whom you played against. If you improve in the game, you are more valuable to your team and you will start winning more games on average, and the score will adjust upwards. If it settles around a number, that is most probably your intrinsic skill level.
  • MashpitSquaredMashpitSquared Texas, USA Join Date: 2014-01-13 Member: 193053Members
    Ah, so only victory results have an effect on the skill ranking (currently), and it only really causes drastic changes to the skill ranking if the outcome goes against the "predicted" outcome of the match. That does explain a lot - I'm usually on the losing team >_>.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2016
    You just need to let the system do its work. It's based on long-term averages, so don't worry about it on a match-to-match basis.

Technical edit: It's not based on averages, since it doesn't have to remember past data. But the point is that it might deviate from your "true" skill value due to bad/good streaks but it will rebound in the long run and keep oscillating around that level.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    but in theory if you play evenly matched games then your score should be osmething close to a 1-1 win loss ratio which will give you a hive score of roughly 2000
  • friendlybusfriendlybus Join Date: 2005-02-10 Member: 40594Members
    Therius wrote: »
    All you need to know: It's a refined Elo system where only your wins and defeats matter in the context of whom you played against. If you improve in the game, you are more valuable to your team and you will start winning more games on average, and the score will adjust upwards. If it settles around a number, that is most probably your intrinsic skill level.

It doesn't really work very well. The central conceit is that I can't control my team. If I as a comm or marine could kick or punish other players, I could be held responsible for not using that power correctly. In the current format commander has no power over marines and marines only have the eject option. It's quite disempowering for both, that's why teamwork is so important. The hive skill measures how many winning teams I have been on, but is labelled as an individual skill level.

• MashpitSquaredMashpitSquared Texas, USA Join Date: 2014-01-13 Member: 193053Members
    but in theory if you play evenly matched games then your score should be osmething close to a 1-1 win loss ratio which will give you a hive score of roughly 2000

Weird, almost all the games I play are played with forced even teams and I have close to a 1.0 W/L ratio, but my skill rank is almost always ~1000.
    http://hive.naturalselection2.com/profile/84956848
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If have not really kept the thread really organized, but if you are interested in other hive stats look at this thread. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/136931/basic-statistics-of-the-hive-skill-system/p1
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited April 2016

Weird, almost all the games I play are played with forced even teams and I have close to a 1.0 W/L ratio, but my skill rank is almost always ~1000.
    http://hive.naturalselection2.com/profile/84956848

i have roughly 1600 1600 win loss ratio and mine is 2000, i actually have a few more losses then wins
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited April 2016
    Average of win/loss doesn't determine a person's actual skill though, as evidenced by the many people who throw the skill system out of whack...

There are SO many things it doesn't take into account... Like the difference in alien/marine skill, or the fact that someone can carry their team to an insane extent, turning a clear 5 min defeat into a 20 min game of back and forth.. yet their score will go down even if they have triple the kills and score of anyone else on the server.

Of course those who support it will argue averages and numbers till they're blue in the face, it doesn't change the simple fact that the vast majority of shuffles end up as ridiculously one sided stomps. Until we get Hive 2.0 (which will hopefully take more factors into account as well as seperate alien/marine skill) the "skill" score is more or less useless.
    @Mofo1, just reread the post before yours where Therius explains that it is a long run average.

I have also explained to you in detail what conditions lead to shuffle not always working as expected, and that it typically has very little to do with the hive skill system.
  • FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
    Here's what you need to know about Hive Skill

<1000 = Baddies
    1000 - 2000 = Normal folk
    2000 - 2500 = Really good normal folk
    2500 - 3000 = Suspiciously good folk
    >3000 = Hackers
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer

<1000 = Baddies
    >3000 = Hackers

I'm 3800 right now, and have been 4500. Guess I cheat.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2016

<1000 = Baddies
    >3000 = Hackers

It actually goes like this. So really, 835-1582 hive skill is the normal folk.
    Percentile	Hive Skill
       90%	          2110
       80%	          1715
       75%	          1582
       70%	          1466
       60%	          1275
       50%	          1124
       40%            1003
       30%	          897
       25%	          835
       20%	          760
       10%	          542

These values are from players who have played sometime between January 1st and February 12th 2016 with 50 or more hours recorded in hive. I chose 50 hours because by that time their hive skill should have converged near the intrinsic value.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited April 2016
    Apparently 40% of the population is below a rookie in skill.
    edited April 2016
    sotanaht wrote: »

1000 is just one value among others, arbitrarily chosen to represent a new player. If actual rookies are not that good, they will quickly plummet to lower levels.

MoFo1 wrote: »
    Average of win/loss doesn't determine a person's actual skill though, as evidenced by the many people who throw the skill system out of whack...

There are SO many things it doesn't take into account... Like the difference in alien/marine skill, or the fact that someone can carry their team to an insane extent, turning a clear 5 min defeat into a 20 min game of back and forth.. yet their score will go down even if they have triple the kills and score of anyone else on the server.

Of course those who support it will argue averages and numbers till they're blue in the face, it doesn't change the simple fact that the vast majority of shuffles end up as ridiculously one sided stomps. Until we get Hive 2.0 (which will hopefully take more factors into account as well as seperate alien/marine skill) the "skill" score is more or less useless.

Everyone agrees that marine and alien skills should be separate, and I don't understand how that is not yet implemented. The rest of your post is complete nonsense from someone who still does not understand how statistics work.

• SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Is there a post somewhere explaining how the skill ranking works? No matter how well or how poorly I perform in game, I always seem to get a skill ranking between 950-1050, and I'm rather confused as to whether the skill ranking was ever implemented properly. It generally doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game, of course, but I like being able to visually see that I'm improving at the game. As it is now, I get basically the same skill score at 20/20 KDR and 40/10 KDR.

It isn't a "skill" ranking. It is basically just a tally of your wins. The more your team happens to win, the more points you get. Broadly, having a high "skill" score doesn't necessarily mean you are "skilled" at the game. It just means that you happened to be on winning teams a lot of the time that you played. I personally know several people with high scores who aren't that good individually.

However, most of the players with very high scores (2000+) tend to be good at the game. They tend to be experienced, know how to use the flaws of the game to get kills, they play gathers with others of high game ability, or tend to stack on public servers, and bring about wins. For this tiny subset of the NS2 population, the "skill" score does reflect their actual ability.

If you are a casual-ish player you may do well in-game, but a foolish team, or poorly trained commander, will bring you loss and cause a reduction in your "skill" score. For the majority of NS2's surviving population, the "skill" score doesn't mean anything.

It is important not to compare the "skill" score of NS2 with other ranking systems such as DOTA2, SC2 or CSGO. Those games are far better at measuring your ability than NS2 is, mainly because those games have a far larger population on which to base "skill" measurements, and because the developers of those games actually make an effort to improve the ranking system to make it actually... useful.

The best policy is to ignore the "skill" number and just play the best you can, and try to have fun too. If it is causing you stress or frustration, it's not worth spending any time on it.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

It isn't a "skill" ranking. It is basically just a tally of your wins. The more your team happens to win, the more points you get. Broadly, having a high "skill" score doesn't necessarily mean you are "skilled" at the game. It just means that you happened to be on winning teams a lot of the time that you played. I personally know several people with high scores who aren't that good individually.

However, most of the players with very high scores (2000+) tend to be good at the game. They tend to be experienced, know how to use the flaws of the game to get kills, they play gathers with others of high game ability, or tend to stack on public servers, and bring about wins. For this tiny subset of the NS2 population, the "skill" score does reflect their actual ability.

If you are a casual-ish player you may do well in-game, but a foolish team, or poorly trained commander, will bring you loss and cause a reduction in your "skill" score. For the majority of NS2's surviving population, the "skill" score doesn't mean anything.

It is important not to compare the "skill" score of NS2 with other ranking systems such as DOTA2, SC2 or CSGO. Those games are far better at measuring your ability than NS2 is, mainly because those games have a far larger population on which to base "skill" measurements, and because the developers of those games actually make an effort to improve the ranking system to make it actually... useful.

The best policy is to ignore the "skill" number and just play the best you can, and try to have fun too. If it is causing you stress or frustration, it's not worth spending any time on it.

This, too, is ignoring statistics.

A player may or may not be good at the game. Let's call this his skill. Over the course of a lot of games, he may end up with a lot of crappy teams, he may end up in a lot of stacked teams, but due to the law of large numbers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers) these will more or less even out. The only constant is the player itself. Due to his skill he nudges, on average, his team ever so slightly towards victory (or not). Statistically speaking, the effects of all other players he plays with even out over time, leading to a 1.0 W/L ratio. If the player is just a little better than the people he usually plays with, this will go a little up. If he's worse, it will go down. Since he is the only constant, it's the only thing that matters. Everything else evens out over time. The "skill rating" is simply a number representing his ability to nudge his team towards victory, factoring in everyone else's skill rating, player count and things like that.
    If you keep winning more often than you should, according to the prediction of the model, your skill will go up to compensate. Likewise it will go down if you lose more often than you should.
    If you are in a stacked team (in any direction) the accuracy will be thrown off a little, but over the course of the next 50 games or so this will matter less and less and less. Because the influence of other players on your skill evens out.
    I wonder what life is like if you reject everything that goes against your intuition as being nonsense without doing any research. Is it easier to live in ignorance?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I wonder what life is like if you reject everything that goes against your intuition as being nonsense without doing any research. Is it easier to live in ignorance?

Yes.
    Sadly.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    Rookie is defined by score in this game. Because you can only gain score, its quasi-equal to time you play. You eventually grow out Rookie status.

Yes.
    Sadly.

Above ^^
    Echo chamber auto-aggrandizement and groupthink self-validation. Root of almost every single problem this game has been plagued by.
    Do you blame everyone who comes at you with fact-backed arguments about echo chambers and groupthink? What do you think about vaccines and global warming?

Care to elaborate why you never even try to counter any arguments made by these so-called "self-validators", apart from shouting oppression?
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have 1100-1350 skill constantly, always have done. I only really play competitive games but when i do play on public im in the top 3 on a bad day (unless im playing with Div 1 and above players) yet i can never get my score to go up.
    Everyone in my comp team has scores of like 2.5k.
    I used to switch teams all the time to try and make the games with the rookies fair during the sales, it seems now i can not undo the damage ^^
    I have 1100-1350 skill constantly, always have done. I only really play competitive games but when i do play on public im in the top 3 on a bad day (unless im playing with Div 1 and above players) yet i can never get my score to go up.
    Everyone in my comp team has scores of like 2.5k.
    I used to switch teams all the time to try and make the games with the rookies fair during the sales, it seems now i can not undo the damage ^^

That seems strange, since the skill adjustments don't become smaller with time. Proof: My skill varies by about 300, depending on how I'm doing that day.
  • jrgnjrgn Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58289Members
    edited April 2016
    Everytime i hear about hive "skill" i get a head ache :). Maybe because i'm stupid. Maybe because i'm bad. Probably because i am confused... But why is it called a skill when it is not measuring anything than your ability to be on the winning team? :'( As been said before, numbers should have been hidden, but they are not!
    jrgn wrote: »
    Everytime i hear about hive "skill" i get a head ache :). Maybe because i'm stupid. Maybe because i'm bad. Probably because i am confused... But why is it called a skill when it is not measuring anything than your ability to be on the winning team? :'( As been said before, numbers should have been hidden, but they are not!

Agree 100% with this. Numbers should be hidden. Sadly those in control of the "skill" system like to brandish their own high numbers to prove... something.