Observation... of TWO Reaper Leviathans

CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
I'm amazed this mated pair were so tolerant of my presence; but I knew the male would be as I freed him from a huge chunk of wreck that'd fallen on him when he was small--well, smaller. I spent days cutting it all away and in return he didn't eat me. That was the most I could ask for, really. So I thought I'd try and get some footage of him, and - as unbelivable as it might seem - he allowed it. Then his lifemate showed up...

I'm just glad he told her something along the lines of "This soft meat is not our prey, leave it alone." They swam close, though. Close enough that I could literally touch them as they went by--and of course they got up in my face, and I did my best to back the hell off. What's interesting here are the vocalizations; he 'called' and she 'answered.' I didn't even know she was there... until I looked down.

They're way more intelligent then they seem. I feel it. I know it...

Comments

• R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    How did you free him from a piece of wreck? I didn't think stuff like that could be cut. And do they grow now?
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    R2T9 wrote: »
    How did you free him from a piece of wreck? I didn't think stuff like that could be cut. And do they grow now?

(OOC: It's a little story to back up this video, just roll with it...)

A big piece of wreck poised on a weakened cliff, kinda balanced on a razor's edge; cliche, I know, but he must have just brushed it as he swam past one day and that was all it took. I heard his screaming for miles... Poor fella. And yeah, I know the wrecks can't be cut--usually, because the standard Alterra Laser Cutter is a slow POS. However, if you bypass some safeties to double the power output that little thing becomes a home-jigged plasma lance! Chews through energy like a b-tch, and gets so hot you NEED the insulated radsuit gloves to use it... but it gets the job done.

... and of course the Reapers grow from a baby stage. Eggs or live young; that, I don't know. They don't trust me enough to let me see their nest, yet. I tried to follow them back, once, and Koloth, he... well... he 'harried' me back home. I thought I'd damaged my relationship with him, after that, but it turns out they're more forgiving then they let on. So, we still have a thing; hence the footage. I have a hunch that their nest might be somewhere around the Lost River, but I've never found the place.

• DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    Coranth wrote: »
    R2T9 wrote: »

(OOC: It's a little story to back up this video, just roll with it...)

A big piece of wreck poised on a weakened cliff, kinda balanced on a razor's edge; cliche, I know, but he must have just brushed it as he swam past one day and that was all it took. I heard his screaming for miles... Poor fella. And yeah, I know the wrecks can't be cut--usually, because the standard Alterra Laser Cutter is a slow POS. However, if you bypass some safeties to double the power output that little thing becomes a home-jigged plasma lance! Chews through energy like a b-tch, and gets so hot you NEED the insulated radsuit gloves to use it... but it gets the job done.

... and of course the Reapers grow from a baby stage. Eggs or live young; that, I don't know. They don't trust me enough to let me see their nest, yet. I tried to follow them back, once, and Koloth, he... well... he 'harried' me back home. I thought I'd damaged my relationship with him, after that, but it turns out they're more forgiving then they let on. So, we still have a thing; hence the footage. I have a hunch that their nest might be somewhere around the Lost River, but I've never found the place.

You do know that you do have a talent for writing right Coranth? I feel that if you made a Fan Fiction thread like "aurora falls",you could be very successful.Maybe you could write about your character's encounters with the various sea creatures in Subnautica?Either in the typical logs or just a simple story.I would love to see a Subnautica story written in this style
  • x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    Do not turn ur Back at them, then they Attack instantly, don't ever let them out of ur Eyes. The same go's for ur seamoth, if ur in it, don't turn ur Back at them, they are programmend, to attack from behind ( that's for the jumpscares), so don't let them go behind u.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    edited May 2016
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    @x1Alpha2014 Never mind. Your icon just reminded me of a YouTuber who I enjoy watching.