Gorge self heal is better "downwards"?!

StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
So I've been playing NS for le long time, same with NS2. Today someone mentioned to me, "you'd self-heal as a gorge much faster if you're aiming down."

This sure threw me off. Didn't get a chance to try, but wtf? When the hell was that put in? They said it's been around 'since the beginning' and someone else agreed but even the UWE wiki doesn't mention it whatsoever. I googled, searched on UWE forums, went multiple pages deep etc. Never heard of it.

Is this for real? and if so, when the hell was it put in?

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yup, downside is you only heal yourself and not the surrounding area.

Yet ANOTHER player friendly hidden mechanic!
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Well, I believe it's a bug that's never been fixed. Not a hidden mechanic.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zavaro wrote: »

Thus it is a good bug then! Don't fix it zav, bad zav bad!
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Anyone know whether you have to be on the ground, and how far downwards you have to aim, before this works?

I've known about the mechanic for a while, but I've never actually gotten around to testing the specifics like that.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    Well, I see it as the Gorge healspray sprays forwards to heal other people, but when you're trying to heal yourself, you're chasing after the spray, catching the end of it.
    When you look down, it bounces back up and hits you straight in the face. Same as how you can get Babblers on to yourself by bouncing the bait ball in to your face.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited April 2016
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Zavaro wrote: »

Thus it is a good bug then! Don't fix it zav, bad zav bad!

Best bug EVER!!!! Seriously for the sanity of gorges everywhere please PLEEEASE do not "fix" it. You would be doing nothing but annoying people with that one.

Besides you don't heal those around you when looking down, so theres a disadvantage to balance out the convenience of having it...

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does it bounce when healing a wall?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Someone link him the hidden mechanics list
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Does it bounce when healing a wall?

No. And heal spray does not bounce at all, it's not a projectile based ability.
    I assume sherlock is talking about an in-universe justification ;)
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does anyone know the details then? I believe self-heal is normally half the heal rate, so does this make it full? 75%?

And again, a search in the changelogs didn't reveal anything but I think it was only searching at the title level.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Never felt weird, looking downward, circle hopping around a tunnel, healing yourself and the damn thing while crying for support ?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The healspray only heals about 40% to self (at least that was when making gorgecraft).

I have no idea why it would heal faster looking down. If I was to make a guess looking at game mechanics as a cause, I could only think it was the spray terminating at the world bounds, so it couldn't go full distance, and thus the origin of the heal would always be in one spot, but that would be speculation.. and I would expect similar behaviour to occur when facing a wall if that was the case.

I don't think game mechanics are the cause though, it's probably a bug, but not one I was really aware of myself :P
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    The healspray only heals about 40% to self (at least that was when making gorgecraft).

50% in current lua code. And also there is a loop that can do up to 3 bounces.

Maybe someone has inspiration to insert some print() and see the list of things being healed.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    The part of the healing code that decides if something should be healed is ... a bit weird, to say the least. The reason you get double healed as a gorge is that the gorge is always in the list of entities to be healed ... and then the weird part of the code results in adding in the gorge again, if you aim downwards just a little bit from the horizontal.

So the gorge ends up healing itself twice.

Originally a bug, of course, but a bug that lives that long is probably best called a feature...
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    matso wrote: »
    Originally a bug, of course, but a bug that lives that long is probably best called a feature...

So the rifle jam is a feature? Actually I haven't seen that one maybe so maybe it's been fixed finally, but you get my point.

Not that the gorge self heal shouldn't be a feature. I was under the impression though that it meant sacrificing the ability to heal any other thing. Even if you were sitting on top of something that needed healing, aiming straight down would heal only you. THAT sounds like a balanced feature.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    sotanaht wrote: »
    matso wrote: »

So the rifle jam is a feature? Actually I haven't seen that one maybe so maybe it's been fixed finally, but you get my point.

Not that the gorge self heal shouldn't be a feature. I was under the impression though that it meant sacrificing the ability to heal any other thing. Even if you were sitting on top of something that needed healing, aiming straight down would heal only you. THAT sounds like a balanced feature.

of course feature, it is to impart a semblance of the reality that guns jam... and sometimes you need to throw them against the ground really hard to dislodge the alien gunk that's causing the jam and then you can reload again.
  • xuuxuu Sydney, Australia Join Date: 2014-11-26 Member: 199814Members
    Should be an animation on the rifle-jam "feature" which actually detects a rifle jam and plays an animation of the marine trying to un-jam the rifle. That would actually be pretty cool :)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    xuu wrote: »
    Should be an animation on the rifle-jam "feature" which actually detects a rifle jam and plays an animation of the marine trying to un-jam the rifle. That would actually be pretty cool :)

It should display ERR on the ammo counter screen :D
  • BollwerkBollwerk Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67196Members
    Hehe, I remember you doubting me back then on the siege server...

Here is the link Nordic mentioned:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135042/lets-make-a-list-of-hidden-mechanics/p1
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    If you look directly below you at the floor when heal spraying as a Gorge, you will regain twice as much health. Nothing around you will be healed though.
    If you can manage, alternate between looking around and on the ground while healing, so you still see where you are going.