To 64-bit, or not to 64-bit? - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageTo 64-bit, or not to 64-bit? - Subnautica

Walking through doors is hard. They look innocuous enough: Some timber, a frame, a handle – But beyond them lies the end of a train of thought. It is a...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Diegoalfonso1234Diegoalfonso1234 Guaynabo Join Date: 2016-04-15 Member: 215815Members
    I dont care if it lags a little or the graphics looks blurry i just want to play the game (as 32-bits and 64-bits)
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    64-bit please; stop holding Subnautica back from what it could potentially be.
  • Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    if we need a realy looking BEATIFUL game we need x64. But we must don't forget about that people who don't have a x64 (at any resons) but they want to play in subnautica too. So - we need both of it.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    forgive me if this is a dumb uninformed question.
    Can you not do both. A 64bit executable and 32bit executable?

I would say leave the past, in the past. 32bit will be a foot note in PC history, like an old 8 bit or 16bit system.
    Just my 2 cents
  • MoodsWoodsMoodsWoods Join Date: 2016-04-16 Member: 215831Members
    IMHO 64Bit really should be the priority nowadays.
    I thik its safe to say its kind of Standard today and transition period is kind of over mostly.
    At least i dont know any people (personally) any more with 32bit machines.

Of course if there are enough ressources to do both versions without limiting/compromising the 64bit version in any way....well do it....
    But if it affects the way the 64bit version would be without a coexistent 32bit version..PLEASE just dont do 32bit ;)

• Alex_INFERNOAlex_INFERNO Russia, Moscow Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214036Members
    forgive me if this is a dumb uninformed question.
    Can you not do both. A 64bit executable and 32bit executable?

I would say leave the past, in the past. 32bit will be a foot note in PC history, like an old 8 bit or 16bit system.
    Just my 2 cents

I agree with you. Maybe its a my misunderstanding. I mean OS but you - colors? :)
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Truth be told, buying game in Early Access players agree to take the risk of accepting any and all changes, even those potentially resulting in a different game than the one they had bought. Nothing is guaranteed until the game is officially out, and 32 to 64 change is well within that risk.

Also, if someone blatantly ignores minimum requirements, it's their problem, certainly not the developer's.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    Truth be told, buying game in Early Access players agree to take the risk of accepting any and all changes, even those potentially resulting in a different game than the one they had bought. Nothing is guaranteed until the game is officially out, and 32 to 64 change is well within that risk.

Also, if someone blatantly ignores minimum requirements, it's their problem, certainly not the developer's.

Waiting a full year after the announcement aint going to change any devs mind either :tongue:
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    yes, 64bit. Always please. Lets not keep going into the past.
  • HeartOfNatureHeartOfNature My Own Mind Join Date: 2016-04-19 Member: 215978Members
    I'm not really sure I understand much of the technicalities here, but this is the best I can find for my particular issue, and yeah. I've got a Windows tablet that runs Sims, Minecraft, etc., beautifully but Subnautica lags a ton- it runs, just lags a lot so I can't catch fish and stuff. Is this something wrong with the game, the bits, or did I misread the requirements?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2016
    I'm not really sure I understand much of the technicalities here, but this is the best I can find for my particular issue, and yeah. I've got a Windows tablet that runs Sims, Minecraft, etc., beautifully but Subnautica lags a ton- it runs, just lags a lot so I can't catch fish and stuff. Is this something wrong with the game, the bits, or did I misread the requirements?

Current Windows tablets are not designed for modern 3D games. Currently, the Surface Pro 3 and 4 are JUST within our Minimum requirements however, they both thermal-throttle their speed very quickly when stresses, so performance goes down as they get hotter. Old or lighter games of course, need MUCH less specs, so run better.
  • ThousandFootLashesThousandFootLashes Join Date: 2017-01-26 Member: 227295Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

Current Windows tablets are not designed for modern 3D games. Currently, the Surface Pro 3 and 4 are JUST within our Minimum requirements however, they both thermal-throttle their speed very quickly when stresses, so performance goes down as they get hotter. Old or lighter games of course, need MUCH less specs, so run better.

hm...I use a Surface Pro 3, too. Will it continue to run Subnautica as the game develops?
  • pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    edited January 2017
    some 32 bit vs 64 bit knowledge;
    A 32 bit OS has a limit on how much RAM it can use. This limit affects how many objects you can put in your game(among other things). If you drop support for 32 bit OS's you can use the additional memory to put many more objects into the game(again, among other things).

What this means for a game is that if you want to support both 32 and 64 bit you have to design gameplay around the memory limitations of the 32 bit version or else you'll end up with different gameplay(not just performance) depending on what hardware you're running it on, something typically looked down on for PC games. A player using minimum specs wants the same gameplay as someone using maximum specs and vice versa. In the example of a zombie game a 32 bit player may have the benefit of having less zombies to deal with at one time compared to a 64 bit player. 64 bit users won't be a fan of the fact that their more powerful hardware gives them a harder time, which will lead to fan outcries, riots in the streets, anarchy, etc.

Edit; As for which I think Subnautica should go for, I think that would depend on the quality of features that could be added with the additional space 64 bit offers. Restricting what machines it can run on is usually not a good idea in of itself.