The Unknown Lifeform

A_FREAKING_DUCKA_FREAKING_DUCK Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215296Members
This is an idea for a creature that if you somehow managed to get close enough to scan it as you were near it, the ability to scan would come up, but it would simply come up as unknown life form, and will never be given a name unless the subnautica devs decided to use this idea and name it, instead of leaving it as unknown. This creature is almost half the size of the Aurora and walks on 6 legs. It is lower half is in a similar shape to the cave crawler, except the rest of its body is much taller and larger, with no arms, but a large eye in the front, and other small complex details to make it more unsettling. It will not appear in the game for 30-75 in-game days, and when it first appears, it is barely visible in the distance when you are above the waters surface. it comes from the opposite direction of the Aurora's direction if you were to look at it in the safe shallows. Although it walks on the ocean floor, it is so large it stands tall outside of it. After another few in-game days, it finally arrives at the safe shallows, and leaves the entire biome nearly destroyed after crossing through. if you are in the biome as he goes through it, you will most likely be killed. It then approaches the Aurora, climbs onto the sides of the exploded ship, then unleashes a loud roar from the circular mouth under its body that can be heard from almost anywhere in the map. It then quickly proceeds to rip the Aurora apart piece by piece for about 15 seconds until another explosion is initiated, which harms it. It lets out another scream after loosing its leg at the hands of the explosion, and proceeds to walk through the crash site with one leg missing. The crash site is now much more leveled. It continues to walk until it is no longer visible, which may take another few days. It is difficult to approach because whenever it takes a step, it releases an underwater shockwave around the entire creature, knocking the player far away if near. If you manage to get under the creature, you will quickly be eaten. The biggest threat it causes is if you, your base, or anything else of importance was in the safe shallows or the rest of its path, it will all be destroyed. I know this addition a long shot, but it would be a substantial edition to the game, as it not only adds a truly gigantic and deadly creature everyone wants, but it gives you another reason to explore and migrate, as you need to escape the safe shallows or any other area it covers before it is all destroyed.

Comments

• NecromNecrom The Grave Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215444Members
    Sounds terrifying. I support it.
  • nineonetwonineonetwo Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215452Members
    This is a spooky ass idea just as much as it is a cool one. Perhaps a cooler way to emphasize the mystery would be to have the scanner say 'ERROR-QUANTUM IMPOSSIBILITY DETECTED' or some other message like that and then have the scanner screen glitch out. Since the scanner reads every bit of a lifeforms to the atom, and this creature couldn't be successfully categorized, the creature itself should maintain a strange ability or behavior that corresponds with it being 'impossible', like teleportation or transmogrification or some other string theory weirdness like that. Although if you plan to take my advice, you may want to reconsider the creature design to something stranger than what you describe. Hope this helps!

• DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    nineonetwo wrote: »
    This is a spooky ass idea just as much as it is a cool one. Perhaps a cooler way to emphasize the mystery would be to have the scanner say 'ERROR-QUANTUM IMPOSSIBILITY DETECTED' or some other message like that and then have the scanner screen glitch out. Since the scanner reads every bit of a lifeforms to the atom, and this creature couldn't be successfully categorized, the creature itself should maintain a strange ability or behavior that corresponds with it being 'impossible', like teleportation or transmogrification or some other string theory weirdness like that. Although if you plan to take my advice, you may want to reconsider the creature design to something stranger than what you describe. Hope this helps!

I agree. Make it something terrifyingly lovecraftian.
  • PrimozGPrimozG Slowenia Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215333Members
    i hope they dont do bigger than the sea emperor. Fact is, that we have A LOT of big ass monsters in the game already. What wee need are smaller, aggressive monsters that make your life hard, attack your base, want to eat you... We need reason to make a defense perimeter around the base for all the monsters that come out at night and chase you around the map.
  • nineonetwonineonetwo Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215452Members
    PrimozG wrote: »
    i hope they dont do bigger than the sea emperor. Fact is, that we have A LOT of big ass monsters in the game already. What wee need are smaller, aggressive monsters that make your life hard, attack your base, want to eat you... We need reason to make a defense perimeter around the base for all the monsters that come out at night and chase you around the map.

Exactly
  • NevercallmebynameNevercallmebyname Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207155Members
    So... Like the Europan millipede but on Subnautica?
  • A_FREAKING_DUCKA_FREAKING_DUCK Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215296Members
    nineonetwo wrote: »

That glitchyness and crazy name is what I was going for, and i definitely like your ideas. I couldn't think of a good design, so I may try to come up with another more strange way to make it look and act. An ability it can have is that maybe it bugs out all electronics in the game when it releases a screech, or maybe seems to look or act a lot stranger. I suddenly imagine it to look really deformed and screwed up, still with the one huge eye in the front. I will try editing a more descriptive version in.
    PrimozG wrote: »

Although i see where your coming from, not wanting to over-do big monsters, if you look at it closely, all the big monsters in the game their are and are planned to be are the Reaper, Emperor and Dragon. There's also the Sea treader, crabsquid and reefback, if you would even count those as "big monsters". Although they are cool, its easy to tell that this game wants to have some spooky parts, and i feel this would fit in. And although i see you don't want big creatures, and I understand that, I don't understand why you would want some more little assholes to make the game more tedious :P I feel we already have a good amount of those, with more to come for that. There's the stalker, sandshark, boneshark, spine eel, Mesmer, Lava larva, lava lizard, crash, biter, bleeder, cave crawler, blood crawler, blood biter, gasopod, etc etc etc. Also, remember this isn't as much of an enemy, as it is completely unkillable and unavoidable, but only comes once, coming and going, never to come back again.
    Then again, some of what you said i liked. I would like a small-ish species that comes in a swarm after a point in the game to come raid and destroy your base. That sounds interesting. Mind if i make a page on this?
  • creeper_wickcreeper_wick Life Pod 19 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215184Members
    This idea is amazing, But it destroying the safe shallows biome is a little much there, cause most beginners seem to make their first base there. Another thing, how else would the ship explode? I would guess the screech that you mentioned earlier would have something to do with it. Plus it would be amazing if you could be warped by a warper to where the creature is heading, and prob find something amazing, like the sea emperor prison (which the S.E. Should still be bigger) or something else story-wise.
    This idea is amazing, But it destroying the safe shallows biome is a little much there, cause most beginners seem to make their first base there. Another thing, how else would the ship explode? I would guess the screech that you mentioned earlier would have something to do with it. Plus it would be amazing if you could be warped by a warper to where the creature is heading, and prob find something amazing, like the sea emperor prison (which the S.E. Should still be bigger) or something else story-wise.

Thanks! About the destroying safe shallows being a bit much, remember, he doesn't come for 30-75 in game days. I made sure to point this out because of this reason, because beginners build their base their, it makes it important to migrate across the world after you advance a lot. Also, the part with the ship exploding was mostly just supposed to be a small explosion caused by him smashing some more in-tact explosive parts inside the ship unintentionally, but if that is too illogical, it could end up being caused by the screech. I also see where your coming from about being able to warp to where it is heading, but it is more meant to just come and go. Still would be a good easter egg though, maybe like a very low chance of being teleported to some giant cave it lives in or something xD Also, the Sea Emperor prison is already there in the lava biome I'm pretty sure :P Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
  • MarioblockMarioblock United States Join Date: 2016-04-14 Member: 215744Members
    Sense terrain destroying is not going to be in the game, it may go with a way of just putting in the big shock waves or pre-made craters to signify that the creature was there before you landed there. Plus I would love to see this creature be added, its a neat idea that a giant crab is going to kill everything. The base destroying should also be there too as a warning that this creature is the biggest threat in the game and can destroy every single drop of copper and quarts you have been gathering for the past 4 hours. When the creature goes onto the ship, pieces of scrap should just start flying all over the place and you have dodge these things so you don't die by giant pieces of metal falling from the damn sky. (Great idea man love it.)
    Marioblock wrote: »
    Sense terrain destroying is not going to be in the game, it may go with a way of just putting in the big shock waves or pre-made craters to signify that the creature was there before you landed there. Plus I would love to see this creature be added, its a neat idea that a giant crab is going to kill everything. The base destroying should also be there too as a warning that this creature is the biggest threat in the game and can destroy every single drop of copper and quarts you have been gathering for the past 4 hours. When the creature goes onto the ship, pieces of scrap should just start flying all over the place and you have dodge these things so you don't die by giant pieces of metal falling from the damn sky. (Great idea man love it.)

Good ideas! I do like the idea of him possibly ripping a huge part of the aurora off and throwing it, crushing you if you were in the wrong area at the wrong time :P and about the terraforming being removed, although i know this is happening, I would hope that it can still be sort-of done. What I mean by this is that I would hope that the place becoming barren and creature-less would give the impression its destroyed, forcing you to want to set up base somewhere else. Because the coral tubes and such are entities that aren't attached the environment, I think those can be destroyed as well. This will hopefully leave the impression its basically dunes at this point, with a bit of destroyed versions of new stuff that can be found. Loving the feedback, thanks!