Update 294 Released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Okay, wait, I don't get it. People play on a certain high slot server because they oh love it so much, but now the server isn't being displayed by default (it literally takes one click to display it), and suddenly traffic drops rapidly?

This doesn't add up.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    doesnt affect me cause i never ask for medpacks anyway :)
  • BruteBrute Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67778Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This doesn't add up.

Why? It just means that people don't change the default (like it is the case in many other areas, too, i.e. browser settings, mobile phone settings, ...). When presented with a list of all servers, they choose the big ones, when presented with a smaller selection, they select one of those. The filter is simply not prominent enough for anyone to be noticed, yet alone the fact that it is active by default.

When we look at TF2 for example: the "play now" equivalent has big illustrated icons that let you choose which game mode you want to be assigned to, and the server browser displays everything as default but offers multiple ways to create a subselection (map, player, ping, tags).
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Okay, wait, I don't get it. People play on a certain high slot server because they oh love it so much, but now the server isn't being displayed by default (it literally takes one click to display it), and suddenly traffic drops rapidly?

This doesn't add up.

Nice confirmation bias. "If a server goes down in population after we make it harder to see, that must mean it wasn't liked as much as they thought it was!!!1"
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What was that you say?... You just made it easier to obliterate people with my skulk??...
    Why thank you.....
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lev Steel wrote: »
    The basic marine commanders spellpower should result in a higher value of the HoT, even with a 1 second duration.
    f*** blizzard! *troll*

Sounds like ElitistsJerk theorie crafting hehe
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2016
    I find it weird how balance update is aimed at a really small subset of the playerbase. Constant med spam isn't a problem in servers with a population of 20+. Competitive players have their own balance and the majority of the player-base is on larger servers.

Maybe the modifications to the Server Browser will breathe life into the dead servers... while taking away from Wooza's (and the other large servers). Pretty awkward :P
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm more irritated by losing my jp to a single onos gore with no armor than I ever have been by being or not being medspammed. Hellarious bastards are into something...

Anyways, all I can gather from this update is that my lerk game just got a lot stronger with literally no change in skill needed on my part.

Thanks?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    2cough wrote: »
    I'm more irritated by losing my jp to a single onos gore with no armor than I ever have been by being or not being medspammed. Hellarious bastards are into something...

Anyways, all I can gather from this update is that my lerk game just got a lot stronger with literally no change in skill needed on my part.

Thanks?

Next update will change Onos gore to 500 damage per hit to please you even more! No marine should be able to survive that big rhino.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited April 2016
    Lerks may be slightly boosted early game when you can commit to several bites but later on vs shotguns its more of a nerf.
    All the dots type attacks will lose in effectiveness because of the regen.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Brute wrote: »
    This doesn't add up.

Why? It just means that people don't change the default (like it is the case in many other areas, too, i.e. browser settings, mobile phone settings, ...). When presented with a list of all servers, they choose the big ones, when presented with a smaller selection, they select one of those. The filter is simply not prominent enough for anyone to be noticed, yet alone the fact that it is active by default.

When we look at TF2 for example: the "play now" equivalent has big illustrated icons that let you choose which game mode you want to be assigned to, and the server browser displays everything as default but offers multiple ways to create a subselection (map, player, ping, tags).

True; I gotta admit to the appeal to incompetence here. This is not meant in a derogatory way, this is exactly the kind of thing that would trip me up. Still, I would expect the majority of players to notice the missing "ns2large" servers and at least take a look at the filters. I can't imagine everybody just ignored those up to this point.

This doesn't add up.

Nice confirmation bias. "If a server goes down in population after we make it harder to see, that must mean it wasn't liked as much as they thought it was!!!1"

That's not what I meant at all. I was only referring to arguments being brought up here.
    "People like to play on certain high slot servers because they like it, they actively come to us"
    vs
    "Now that visibility of certain high slots server is lower, fewer people come. *complain*" (<- Why complain if they prefer gameplay on these servers and thus actively come to you?)
    2cough wrote: »

Thanks?

Why can I not agree with this five times?
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Still, I would expect the majority of players to notice the missing "ns2large" servers and at least take a look at the filters. I can't imagine everybody just ignored those up to this point.

That's what happened tho. I didn't check the filters. And newcomers have no reason to check the filters.
    Why can I not agree with this five times?
    Yes you can, but you drop a half agree, then 25 seconds later, you have a full agree.

• WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    New medspam is really good. At last, 3 casual skulks stand a chance against a mespammed elite sharpshoothopper. Finally.
  • kaokao france Join Date: 2015-12-20 Member: 210122Members
    edited April 2016
    Instead of spitting in the face of ns2large players after adding useless collectable we all dont care , do you plan to finaly fix the shitty hitreg issue we all experience since december ?

Wooza's playground was full tonight with higher skill ,
    now rookies are full sent to lowP servers , thank UWE xD
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Alite wrote: »
    and yet so many people hate on them because of their personal opinions about them.
    TIL that measurable numbers that are publicly recorded equate to "personal opinions".
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    RadimaX wrote: »
    25% of the community is playing on WOOZAS server, not only do you add WARNING to join it but now you even hide it haha whats next DDOS-attack to get rid of the most popular server in this community? uwe got their priorities straight...

Why would UWE cater to the remaining plebs that play this game. Those that still play have basically indicated that they still think the gameplay is good and fresh, while those that play on Woozas (no disrespect, i get the appeal) are playing a different game to ns2.

Better to target new players or those that could return to the game, since the remaining plebs eat poo and are thankful for it anyway. Not the people to listen to.
  • ImmortalKingImmortalKing Germany Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193131Members
    edited April 2016
    ive played ns2 since it wasnt even born because i was inside the belly having fun... (pre-ordered it waiting for it imagined how the game would be while being very excited)

then i was born i started to play it even more switching from server to server first ns2 vanilla then ns2 combat...
    then my toy got taken away :( they told me i have to grow up and pay for my own toy! i got very bored...
    but then i found something different :D i happened to find a place where a lot of people play :o
    since then i didnt want to play anywhere else although i tried different places... they just couldnt satisfy me anymore :/
    that place which is so lively each day became my only reason to play ns2 and i couldnt find it suddenly anymore!
    i was confused i searched for it and i found it because a friend was on steam playing on there...
    i was relieved for a bit but now im annoyed because i had to find out by someone else that i have to change my ways of finding the place where i want to play and so many creatures who are fresh to ns2 will very surely not find this place unless they are naturally very very curious creatures... that isnt the case for the most who love to play with many creatures in a large place... they didnt find the way to get there until being told or joining over steam :( so the chances are low of anyone new or anyone that got bored and tired like i did to find this place and get a new experience of this beautiful game :/
    i used to recommend this game to others and got atleast 4 creatures or more into it who bought it but now as it is i wouldnt recommend it... if this change wont be changed to the way it used to be i fear that the place where i play ns2 is endangered and it might die out over time...
    thats where this game will become my memory yet i hope that this time wont come anytime soon :(
  • kaokao france Join Date: 2015-12-20 Member: 210122Members
    edited April 2016
    UWE cant tolerate moded servers :(
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    Anyone notice performance issues with this patch? We played on 4 different servers last night and each one, a lot of intermittent red plugs that affected the entire server. Is the Heal Over Time being calculated every server tick or frame on the client?
    Alite wrote: »

This doesn't add up.

When someone sees that their favorite server isn't in the server list, do you really think they'll take the time to find the server they assume is empty and seed it all the way to full (which they assume because that server used to always be on there on start up, now for some arbitrary reason it was removed)?

Since we are talking about a server that is always fully, I would expect them to at least notice something odd and take a closer look.
  • zoljazolja Join Date: 2003-06-06 Member: 17057Members
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Well, after taking a look at the trello, I'm very apprehensive of the "remove alien weapon switching" card. I think its a great idea, outside of parasite, bilebomb and vanilla(trailing) spores. Its going to be a pain if you don't have spare mouse buttons to bind those to as you probably don't want to move away from your movement keys when using those abilities.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wake wrote: »
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    This is good, we need change, no matter if it's better or worse (hopefully for the better lol)

Woohooo ! Yojimbo is in Shake your Tail Feather mode, let's rock !
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qdbrIrFxas0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I shall be playing this over the lerk airwaves next on wooza :smiley: