Oculus Update - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageOculus Update - Subnautica

A new Subnautica update is available on Steam! The Oculus Update brings support for Oculus Rift SDK 1.3, which is a nerdy way of saying: You can play Subnautica on...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ocker3Ocker3 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-05 Member: 215364Members
    Any chance we'll have a use for all of those Cargo boxes lying around?
  • livingin360livingin360 Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146657Members
    can you deconstruct wrecks or repair them and use them as habitats?
  • YamawildYamawild quebec Join Date: 2016-02-27 Member: 213551Members

That would be an awesome idea for the future! However, I feel like this would be a bit too much work for the devs right now with all of what they need to do.
  • SuchSuch UK Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210602Members
    With full Oculus support now implemented, how difficult would it be to add basic SBS 3D support? Subnautica is excellent with 'fake 3d' SBS on Android via Google Cardboard-type headsets, but would be so very much better with proper 3d and native support.
  • shazam0527shazam0527 North Carolina Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215393Members
    I am not finding it, but when I run the Oculus Rift with Subnautica, it seems that my keyboard/mouse controls aren't working anymore. Anything I'm missing? Please help!
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members

I feel like in the future we should have a way to break these down, maybe break it down into salvage pieces bit by bit until it's gone. Maybe get a few wiring kits or something out of it as extra. Cargo boxes and lockers here could be broken down into 3 or 4 titanium. Plus getting these chairs and desks out would be nice.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    A slight problem with dismantling wrecks is that it removes the purpose of Laser Cutters. Why bother spending time to cut open a door when you can just dismantle it?
  • MatthewdubyaMatthewdubya New Jersey Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213671Members
    yay sitting im not being sarcastic i mean it and can you put in a main menu button
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    Also as I noticed, the "options" menu is expanding, glad to see that :) (Sorry if it is there for longer, been out of SN for more than month...)
  • Gameon2000Gameon2000 Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215270Members
    Before this update there was Seamoth fragments absolutely everywhere, now they are nowhere, I went to a wreck that was between the safe shallows and creepvine biome, I looked all over the safe shallows that I was in, and I looked all over the side of the Aurora, where are they, also is it just me or did they just add other escape pods cause I found one in the safe shallows near the creepvine biome closer to the Aurora.
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    In the latest experimental build I've been finding Seamoth fragments in the Grassy Plateaus biome.

There are 6 lifepods (other than your own) that have been found so far. I'll be updating my list of wrecks / lifepods/ fragments soon.
  • blurbrerrrblurbrerrr Join Date: 2015-10-03 Member: 208281Members
    starkaos wrote: »
    A slight problem with dismantling wrecks is that it removes the purpose of Laser Cutters. Why bother spending time to cut open a door when you can just dismantle it?

maybe we can dismantle things with the laser cutter instead?
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    Latest experimental - those Lifepods are now solid objects; no more clipping through them. Damn, they're creepy...
    There was one in the Kelp Forest that could still be clipped through. Probably the devs haven't gotten around to updating that one yet.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Coranth wrote: »
    Latest experimental - those Lifepods are now solid objects; no more clipping through them. Damn, they're creepy...

I noticed this in the latest stable build. However in the stable build they're now lit up inside, which makes them significantly less creepy.
  • SubFruellSubFruell Mult Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215526Members
    It's already fairly cumbersome to continually supply power to the cyclops, in addition to the fact that the resources deplete over time. Is anything in the works to address this now that we are life dependent on power?
    A power cell recharger is in the works. So probably you'll travel around for a while, then head back to a base, swap in a set of recharged power cells, and head back out again.
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    Klinn wrote: »
    A power cell recharger is in the works. So probably you'll travel around for a while, then head back to a base, swap in a set of recharged power cells, and head back out again.

So you could add one in a cyclops and make a USEFUL submarine
    Heh, recharging a Cyclops from a Cyclops is probably not the best strategy. ;) There also seems to be discussion by the devs to substantially decrease the power draw of the Cyclops so it will run much longer on one set of power cells.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Klinn wrote: »
    Heh, recharging a Cyclops from a Cyclops is probably not the best strategy. ;) There also seems to be discussion by the devs to substantially decrease the power draw of the Cyclops so it will run much longer on one set of power cells.

Link? That would be awesome.
    Here: https://trello.com/c/IYCwOMmC/5602-recipe-for-cyclops-to-include-6-power-cells-increase-power-max-x6-or-include-6-cells-after-power-refactor

It sounds like you'll need to have 6 power cells when you construct the Cyclops, but in turn it's power will last 6x longer. Not exactly the way I phrased it in my previous post, but the net result is still that you can run the Cyclops for a longer period. I think. ;)
  • nick012000nick012000 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-11 Member: 215646Members
    >Power is now required for Seabase Oxygen, which applies to not just Seabases, but also the Seamoth and Cyclops. If any of the three are underpowered, they will stop producing enough. Oxygen for survival. It is now crucial to ensure everything is properly powered.

What about if your seabase is above water? Couldn't you just leave a hatch open and let the air circulate normally? I mean, there are some islands to build on, and it's not difficult to build a seabase in the Safe Shallows that has a level or two popping up above sea level.
  • ElementorElementor Australia Join Date: 2016-03-08 Member: 213984Members
    Instead of building a whole new powercell charger. Just give us the ability to make self-charging power cells, just make it that we need expensive resources like mass mercury or something.

How about that?
  • ElementorElementor Australia Join Date: 2016-03-08 Member: 213984Members
    Is it just me or is the new '3D background' at the start screen just a green screen with menu buttons.

Also does anyone else sometimes get your base or fabricator or ships turning purple?
    edited April 2016
    Elementor wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the new '3D background' at the start screen just a green screen with menu buttons.

Also does anyone else sometimes get your base or fabricator or ships turning purple?

I've had the border between the upper and lower levels of my large aquarium turn a bright magenta color when viewed from far away. It looks normal once I get closer. Is that the kind of thing you're talking about?

Also the 3d background is a view of the ocean waves, from just above the surface.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Elementor wrote: »

Are you by any chance running on a Mac?
  • killer2118killer2118 sweden Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214410Members
    Im running on a Mac and my base is dark sometimes but the Seamothstation is not dark it got light in it