Oculus and Mouse/Keyboard controls?

shazam0527shazam0527 North Carolina Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215393Members
When I run SN with the Oculus Rift DK2 - I lose Mouse/Keyboard controls. It's almost like it requires the Controller to be on. Is there a way around this? I'd totally prefer to use the Keyboard and Mouse over a console controller. Please advise..

Much appreciated! :)

Comments

• TentacleTentacle Germany Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215298Members
    Not yet. I read the focus is on controller because the rift ships with one. Which ignores all DK2 owners I'm afraid. Xbox controllers are not even the best input devices for Subnautica. You don't play it standing freely in your room like maybe some other games. And Xbox controllers are unprecise and limiting even without a VR headset. I really like to see mouse and keyboard control for the Rift as well but I also do understand that development ressources have to be bundled and priorities must be set. Its an economical desicion and the better the game sells the more can be added and improved in the future.
  • MattPeddlesdenMattPeddlesden Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215408Members
    Don't agree with this - spent the first few hours of my time in this game with VR (DK2, xbox 360 controller) using the controller and found it very easy to use and get right in to, I guess it's just what you're used to.

I use the mouse and keyboard without VR because I don't think the normal mode supports the controller yet unless i'm missing a setting somewhere.

TBH both modes work well for me and I certainly prefer a controller with VR when I can't see the keyboard, peering through the whole through the nose to see the keys occasionally is immersion breaking.

Matt.
  • TentacleTentacle Germany Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215298Members
    I use mouse and G13. I like the real "analogue" in put of the mouse it is much more direct. Anyway I didn't say Subnautica is not playable with controler, in fact I did it several hours. But I think it needs some kind of optimization still. I would like to have a pitch control for the right stick and a cursor for the menues and use the head for actually looking around, not for pointing at everything, that would feel more natural.
  • ssewellssewell Join Date: 2016-04-07 Member: 215443Members
    I'm in the same boat. I have a DK2, no controller, and I can't use Keyboard & Mouse input when I'm running with the Rift on. Really misleading because Subnautica in the Oculus Home Store explicitly states it supports both Controller and Keyboard & Mouse input.
  • shazam0527shazam0527 North Carolina Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215393Members
    I played Subnautica prior to the update with the Oculus DK2 and it worked great. Only thing I saw even remotely wrong was if you leaned back too far you could see your arms floating with no sockets :D Totally useable still. It's not that the controller is a huge ordeal, I'm just really used to Keyboard and Mouse controls (G700 wireless mouse and G910 Chroma keyboard lol) and love the tactile feel of both..
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2016
    We just added Mouse/Keyboard to experimental branch on Steam in VR, if you dont have a controller plugged in. Please update and let us know how it is :)
  • raven2010raven2010 USA Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204980Members
    Will this fix the sea moth driving? Feels like I'm driving under the influence under the sea
  • KlinnKlinn Lost in a cave Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214022Members
    Yes, I've pretty much given up on the SeaMoth since the last control changes were made. Not fun at all. :'(