The descent of James Harold Haraldson into the lightless depths. [Log Story]

TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
(The descent of James Harold Haraldson into the lightless depths. A hypothetical story of the Aurora's bow section's journey into the dark down below.)
PDA User Interface Activating. Synchronizing Internal Database. Loading Personnel Files.
SUBJECT: James H. Haraldson.
FAMILY: N/A.
FIELD: Engineering.
ASSIGNMENT: Maintenance And Repairs.
DEPLOYMENT: The Aurora.

Accessing Personal logs:
[Log 01]
I've been sinking for what feels like hours now, Watching the pressure rising as i descend into the lightless depths.
When i woke up some time ago i was already too deep down to escape. I'll be going past the thousand mark now soon, If it wasn't for some of the auroras *GP3's still functioning i'd probably be crushed right now.
Still, They were in pretty bad shape by then. I have managed to jury-rig a temporary fix with the power-cells, But without a dedicated power source i'm afraid i'm living on borrowed time.
There's also a surprising lack of bodies here, Hopefully that means that the others managed to escape in time.
When the explosions started i didn't have the time to run for the escape pods, Luckily i was close enough to forward bay 3 when it started, Managed to climb into one of the Deep Sea Excavation Exosuits.
The sensor logs are painting one "heck" of a image, Thank god it was a Depthcharger i climbed into or i might not have survived. These things really deserve being called Class A.
It's a shame that its primary reactor still needs repairs, I'm going to have to rely on the auxiliary power-cells until i can fix it.

*GP3=Gravitational. Pressure. Protection. Projector.
"Projects gravitational fields to create an area of lower or higher pressure than surroundings.
Highly utilized in areas that are of differential pressures incompatible to human physiology and technology such as crushing depths."

[Log 02]
After scouting my surroundings i have discovered that i am sinking down with the front section of the aurora.
Further spectroscopic inspections revealed signs that a quantum-detonation of the V8 Dark Matter core was the most probable cause of detachment.
Not surprising, The V8 series is remarkably notorious for over reacting to even the slightest of stimuli. Good for when you need lots of power, But bad anytime else.
At least the hydroponics section fell down with me, I won't have to worry about scavenging food or oxygen at least, Thankfully.

[Log 03]
I finally hit the bottom. Well, What i "hope" is the bottom. I got rather startled when i lost my balance and fell on some critical equipment, Damaged the Depthcarger's communication array as well.
I probably won't hear from the surface anytime soon, So i'll be going out to scout out the area outside. The Depthcharger's GP3-field "should" be enough to protect me from the immense pressure.
If it doesn't? Well, I would be dead soon enough anyways. There are not enough materials aboard to repair the critical damage caused by the detonation and power is getting low.

[Log 04]
Unbelievable.
I walk out expecting utter darkness and yet no more than 3 meters before me there is a world of light.
Unexpectedly, The Eco-systems here seems to have adapted to the dark depths by producing its own light. The biologist would go wild if they saw this.
Further more, It appears that the majority of fauna and flora can be utilized for survival, Either as food or materials.
Looking upwards there appears to be stars; Most likely bio-luminescent creatures, And geological analyzation has revealed plenty of raw materials in the ground.
Good thing the Depthcharger's mining equipment still functions. I'll have a new reactor up in no time.

[Log 05]
Remember when i said making a reactor would be easy? I was wrong.
Not moments after i started excavating for ore i was attacked by a massive creature that burrowed from out under the ground; Which melted upon its entry.
It was glowing white and giving out enough heat that the waters around it was boiling. I used up half of my power just getting back to the wreckage fast enough.
Thankfully the beast seemed to have no interest in the auroras former bow and left soon after i went inside; It was probably dissuaded by the low pressure created by the GP3 fields.
I'm going to have to scavenge around for materials before i can set up the defenses to deter further such attacks while excavating.

[Logs ??-?? Corrupted]

[Log _///_``/]
Today i-//```` plant fro-^*^^=uside, Hopefu-^**` Won't-^?=ing any infec-*Å^=?.
*^^^?`?`=)little choic-^`?*?*^\\apable of surv\\'*^^`* ressure to hig`'¨^\'
Tastes lik\\*^`*?`* nice to`*¨`^` some varianc\`^`*`**\\'eel See.

[Logs ??-?? Corrupted]

[Log 14]
That's it, I officially can't keep going anymore.
The hydroponics plants have all been killed off by the infection.
There are countless hostile predatory animals outside and i only have a stasis rifle to defend me.
And the power-cells are all but empty, So i'm basically running on pedal power.
The Depthcharger has also sustained several critical injuries and is unable to mine.
I know i won't survive more than a few days, If im' lucky.
Instead i have decided to focus my efforts on ensuring the Aurora bow wreckage doesn't get destroyed by the external pressure once the power fails.
To this end i have started going around and flooding the compartments that hasn't collapsed; Then gradually shutting down the GP3-Field's once done.
I might not survive, But at least i can preserve it in case someone else comes along and finds it.

[Log 16]
Finally, It's done.
Oxygen is low.
Keep getting... Warnings.
Malnutrition.
Dehydration.
Power gone.
Low oxygen.
Not long now.

[Log 17]
[Warning. Life signs critical. Immediate medical attention required.]
[Warning. Life signs critical. Mayor organ failure detected.]
[Warning. Life signs ceased. Immediate resuscitation required.]
[No life Signs detected. Activating system hibernation. Thank you for choosing Alterra tech.]
-

Comments

• R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    It's good! Is this a one time thing? I mean, he seems to have died...is there more? I'd love to see it continued.
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    edited April 2016
    R2T9 wrote: »
    It's good! Is this a one time thing? I mean, he seems to have died...is there more? I'd love to see it continued.
    Not Sure! : ) I might occasionally add some new logs as they develop inside my head though.
    Other than that, What's here is what is so far i'm afraid.

**Additional Log(s) Recovered.**
    Logs Recovered From Backup. Date: 2???.04.03
    [Log 06]
    "Day" #02
    As it seems i am going to remain here for possibly quite a time into the future i have decided to continue to keep a log of the proceeding events.
    For future reference sake i will consider the initial landing down here and subsequent events as "day" #01.
    While i did not manage to excavate any ore "yesterday", "Today" i did manage to collect a vast amount of sedimentary outcroppings that contained sufficient amounts of material to use in repairs.
    On another note, I also encountered the "Starsnake" (As my PDA has christened it) Again, but upon escaping it stopped following me much earlier. Perhaps it learned from the previous encounter?
    Occasionally some debris from the aurora falls down. Collection of it will be vital if i am to gather sufficient materials to repair everything.

"Day" #03
    As i was scouring for resources today i noticed that there was a great deal more fauna than before. Most likely they fled when the bow wreckage landed and is only now returning. They seem to be mostly friendly.
    Hopefully the massive frame of the Depthcharger will dissuade the local predators from attacking. Though if all else fails, The Depthcharger does have an industrial mining laser attached.
    Firing it would probably drain most of my power without a functioning reactor though, And right now power is scarce. If only i could find a sufficient thermal source; I could get some turbines running.
    In other news, I managed to clear most of the corridors of debris and salvaged most of it, With only a small amount being beyond reconstitution thankfully. I even found a functional welder.

"day" #04
    Today i made a remarkable discovery. The Starsnake which i previously encountered crossed paths with me again, But this time i accidentally dropped some geological samples i had collected.
    Not soon after, It approached the samples and seemingly ate them; There wasn't much left over when it was done. Strangely enough it did not attack, but rather kept a fair distance as it began circling me.
    It was then i gave in to my curiosity and tried to "feed" it. I "threw" another sample out, And it nearly instantly changed course and intercepted it.
    Afterwards it seemed to "cool down" into a pleasant orange glow; Its external temperature reducing drastically, And it then approached cautiously. Dear diary, I think i just made a new friend.
    Later that day i established a geo-thermal plant some way out from the wreckage and laid down a power line between them, Then i attempted to lead the Starsnake to the geothermal plant.
    It was a bit reluctant to follow, Likely from its first encounter with the GP3-field, But with some coaxing i managed to convince it to come with me.
    At first, it seemed confused by the geothermal plant, Circling around and occasionally bumping into it, The strange down-side-up egg shape seemingly perplexing it.
    In the end it settled on wrapping itself around one of the spear like protrusions that collects heat from the ground. How strange that it seemed to specifically favor the part that collects heat.
    A short while later it untangled itself and sped of towards the direction where i first encountered it. Out of curiosity i tried to follow it, But i only found the cooling ground before me when i arrived.

"Day" #05
    I was Attempting some repairs on the Depthcharger's reactor today when i noticed the bow wreckage's powercells were charging.
    I went out to the Geothermal plant and i found the Starsnake; Wrapped around the Primary Thermal Collection Rod and blazing brightly with heat. Though upon seeing me it immediately cooled down and started circling me. I fed it some of the Depthcharger's stored mineral deposits; It particularly seemed to enjoy the basalt sediments. Afterwards it swam of again, Returning to the thermal plant a short while after.
    Upon realizing i knew very little about this creature i decided to scan it, And when completed my equipment told me that the Starsnake appeared to actually consists of two different organisms:
    One of the two appears to be carbon-based, providing movement and sensory input. And the other seems silicon-based, Providing digestion and protection from extreme heat.
    This symbiosis seems to function much like mitochondria does with our cells, With the silicon part mirroring the mitochondria and the carbon part the cell itself.
    In an strange inversion however the majority of the silicon-based parts are located on the outside; With the exception of the digestive system, while most of the carbon-based parts are safely on the inside.
    I may not be a biologist; Nor a geologist, But i think it was a sufficiently fascinating discovery to include it in the logs. Perhaps i will include further discoveries as well?
    Other than that the rest of the day went by peacefully, As peaceful as surviving on an alien world under several kilometers of ocean can be that is.
    At least now i have a semi-dependable source of power to recharge my powercells with. And while i can't remember much Latin anymore, i decided to name the Starsnake Advictoria, From the Latin words: To victory. I think it's a fitting name, Considering the circumstances.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    Please do continue.This story is pretty interesting and i would love to see a part 3.
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    **Additional Logs Recovered.**

Logs Recovered From Backup. Date: 2???.04.06
    [Log 08]
    "Day ??"
    I was performing routine maintenance on what little equipment still works down here when i became aware of something troubling.
    My PDA's internal clock is damaged and unreliable; Apparently caused by an factory error in the Core logic of my PDA. Explains why i keep under-cooking my food.
    And without any light from the surface it's perpetually pitch black down here; With the exception of the native lifeforms.
    This makes keeping track of how much time has passed a challenge at best and unreliable at worst. I will have to find an alternative way of keeping the time.
    Further investigation also revealed the possibility that my air mixture might have been unbalanced too, And thanks to the Depthchargers fail-safes i wouldn't even notice it if i spaced out.
    I have repaired the source of the air malfunction, Requiring only a quick reboot to fix. Still, This only increases the ambiguity of how long i have been down here.

"Day ??"
    Things keep breaking down and i lack the materials to fix them, There are countless hostile predators wanting to eat me, And worst of all my food still isn't being cooked right.
    Not three(?) Minutes after i repaired the filtration systems, And the GP3 on the Starboard side of the bow started acting up.
    It was thankfully just a damaged power conduit but it momentarily reminded me of just how much danger im in down here.
    If im going to survive here i must stop thinking in the now and start prioritizing towards long term survival.
    That means i have to reduce my cooking to the fabricators and using the AEP suit's Inbuilt recycling features. Not looking forward to it.

"Day ??"
    While following Advictoria on one of my "daily" Scavenging routes we crossed by where we first met and i discovered something disturbing.
    She has children.
    When we passed over the spot i attempted to mine, She lit up and dived into the rock. When she resurfaced, Around a dozen tiny juveniles followed after.
    This discovery makes it awfully clear why she attacked me; She was only protecting her young. I was digging into their nest, I almost killed her children.
    I have been rather distraught since then. So to take my mind of it i tried to make some mechanism for time keeping.
    I managed to scrounge up what basically amounts to a stopwatch, Even if it has a limit of a few hours at most.
    If there is any good news to this at least there is the fact that i don't have to worry about a repeat attack since i now know why Advictoria attacked me back then.
    Once i wake up "tomorrow" i will be heading out to excavate some actual material to repair things with.
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    I feel that showing his death earlier on actually enhanced the story.It shows you how everythings fine now but hes going to die.

Im excited for this story