Some suggestions from a Steam-Thread

NecrorubiNecrorubi Germany Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215152Members
1. Drastically reduce known blueprints from the start So, basically, a corridor and a hatch

2. Add more in-flavor tech-requirements (Like finding a stalker tooth for enameld glass) This could add some personality to the Base-AI companion: "Survivor, we could fabricate stronger alloys if you could obtain a sample of #item#." "Survivor, unfortunately the sample was to decayed for analysis. Please provide fresh sample." "Survivor in all honesty, my programming requires tasking to with errants to provide potential survivors with sense of progress in dire and blek situations such as yours. I am sorry. We need a free sample of Gasopod-Flatulences"

3. Add Quest-Prompts (maybe with directional clue) for Research based on status effects (i.e. first hull breach triggers lets you research Bulkheads/Reinforcement), first time dehydration -> Water Filtration Station, that allows subtle difficulty tweaks. Maybe! Add some sort of scouting drone that indicates possible fragments for players who suck at scouting/finding things)

4. Link research to blueprint creation (in a way: Scanning gasopods required for filtration device/rebreather)

5. Drastically increase pressure at depth for stations, add MK2 variants of Seabase module to counter that. (Basically, research the Mk2 Corridor, build a Mk2 Corridor base down there for increased cost to scout from

6. Reduce inventory size, add default inventory to the Seamoth

7. Add some sort of Habitat piping or make the Fabricator a whole-shelf item with added lockers, whose inventory can be directly used in the fabricator. (basically, allow some automation, reduction of micromanagement). Also: Link inventory of the Seamoth to the station.

8. Add shelf-locker item that you can access from outside and inside the base

9. Add some requirement/material for fabrication of first-aid kits.

10. Keep up the good work! It has been a while since I lost myself that much in a game.

11. Remove Names for things such as plants and fish and display them as Unknown before scanning (and allow custom naming when scanning), so that a Gasopod can become "Giant Fartmachine" or so): Basically, you are discovering a world unknown to your database.

Comments

• DagonDagon Earth Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214648Members
    Agreeing because of Giant Fartmachine.
  • etherealyandereetherealyandere UK Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213830Members
    Necrorubi wrote: »
    1. Drastically reduce known blueprints from the start So, basically, a corridor and a hatch

The devs have said that blueprints will be changed from how they work now and that they intend to make it a more progressive system, with only a small amount known from the start
    2. Add more in-flavor tech-requirements (Like finding a stalker tooth for enameld glass) This could add some personality to the Base-AI companion: "Survivor, we could fabricate stronger alloys if you could obtain a sample of #item#." "Survivor, unfortunately the sample was to decayed for analysis. Please provide fresh sample." "Survivor in all honesty, my programming requires tasking to with errants to provide potential survivors with sense of progress in dire and blek situations such as yours. I am sorry. We need a free sample of Gasopod-Flatulences"

Im not sure how I feel about this. Maybe if the player could change the personality of the AI, this could be an option, therwise I could see it getting annoying quickly. Also, totally against the idea of resources decaying, unless they decay if you've dropped them on the ground.
    3. Add Quest-Prompts (maybe with directional clue) for Research based on status effects (i.e. first hull breach triggers lets you research Bulkheads/Reinforcement), first time dehydration -> Water Filtration Station, that allows subtle difficulty tweaks. Maybe! Add some sort of scouting drone that indicates possible fragments for players who suck at scouting/finding things)

I'm really against this idea, a player shouldn't be required to make a mistake or wait for a specific set of stats changes/events to unlock a blueprint, just keep it how it is with finding them when you find them.
    4. Link research to blueprint creation (in a way: Scanning gasopods required for filtration device/rebreather)

This could be interesting, but I don't know how well it would work. If a player had to scan a specific creature to unlock something, they'd have to go searching for said creature, which could take a while, and if the creature was hostile then it'd be nigh on impossible. Outside of creatures, scanning Quartz to unlock glass and such, but I think it'd be better to keep it as the whole 'pick up and unlock' way it is now. Hmm, I dunno, I could go either way on this
    5. Drastically increase pressure at depth for stations, add MK2 variants of Seabase module to counter that. (Basically, research the Mk2 Corridor, build a Mk2 Corridor base down there for increased cost to scout from

Reinforcements exist already, I don't think we need a whole 'nother set of base modules just so we can build at deeper depths. Maybe the standard modules could get upgraded after the player discovers a specific resource like diamond (just an example) or after they progress so far in the story? That could entice the player to have multiple bases and to explore more.
    6. Reduce inventory size, add default inventory to the Seamoth

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no, the inventory is small enough as it is with 2/3 tanks in it, my tools and sometimes a Seaglide. Making it any smaller would make harvesting resources such a chore.
    7. Add some sort of Habitat piping or make the Fabricator a whole-shelf item with added lockers, whose inventory can be directly used in the fabricator. (basically, allow some automation, reduction of micromanagement). Also: Link inventory of the Seamoth to the station.

Do you mean, like, some sort of auto-sort for your inventory? Like, deposit your inventory in a receptacle and it gets automatically sorted into Lockers depending on whether it's synthetic, organise, crystal, ore, metal etc. That could be pretty useful. I'm also behind the shared inventory with the fabricator, it'd save time spent relaying back and forth between lockers and the fabricator.
    8. Add shelf-locker item that you can access from outside and inside the base

Like, a locker that has doors on the inside and the outside of the base? It would flood the instant you opened it outside and it only takes a couple of seconds to go inside a hatch, deposit and then jump back out.
    9. Add some requirement/material for fabrication of first-aid kits.

First aid kits do have a requirement, creepvine sample and something else I think. However, the Med-Kit Dispenser is currently bugged (as shown by it having no build cost) and the devs have said they'll be working on it in the future
    11. Remove Names for things such as plants and fish and display them as Unknown before scanning (and allow custom naming when scanning), so that a Gasopod can become "Giant Fartmachine" or so): Basically, you are discovering a world unknown to your database.

That would just make things overly complicated and confusing. The names are more for the players benefit rather than an in-game purpose; I doubt the survivor actually has words suddenly appearing in front of their eyes telling them what a plant is called or telling them to left-click to pick something up.

Some good suggestions ^^ Please don't take this as me being mean/insulting, I just wanted to give my feedback and criticisms to your feedback c:
  • NecrorubiNecrorubi Germany Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215152Members
    Thanks for your feedback, I think I have to clear a few things up. I appreciate your comments and will answer in turn.

The devs have said that blueprints will be changed from how they work now and that they intend to make it a more progressive system, with only a small amount known from the start

Yes indeed, but I wasn't sure about basic rooms. Many of the ideas were indeed about some sort of tech-tree/progression, and I thought it weird that you know how to build a nice habitat in the deep ocean from the get go. Finding additional tech (spotlights and interior gardenbed) was great, but felt to optional.
    Im not sure how I feel about this. Maybe if the player could change the personality of the AI, this could be an option, therwise I could see it getting annoying quickly. Also, totally against the idea of resources decaying, unless they decay if you've dropped them on the ground.

First, ressources are already decaying (that is, prepared food and vines, at least you are told they are rotten). They idea was just a way to avoid: Bring 5x Creepvines THEN unlock Recipe. Just flavorwise it would make more sense to speak of an inadequate sample.

I'm really against this idea, a player shouldn't be required to make a mistake or wait for a specific set of stats changes/events to unlock a blueprint, just keep it how it is with finding them when you find them.

I see, yes, that was a bit unclear. The idea was to use those events a ingame tutorial for beginners: Basically, the first time your hull breaches, you are told to "look for lithium" for "reinforcements" in the "deeper regions". If you find lithium early, and use it for bulkheads and avoid the schlamassel altogether, that's fine.

This could be interesting, but I don't know how well it would work. If a player had to scan a specific creature to unlock something, they'd have to go searching for said creature, which could take a while, and if the creature was hostile then it'd be nigh on impossible. Outside of creatures, scanning Quartz to unlock glass and such, but I think it'd be better to keep it as the whole 'pick up and unlock' way it is now. Hmm, I dunno, I could go either way on this
    I think something like that is planned for the Cyclops Hull Upgrade, and is implemented for the Enameld Glass: You find the stalker tooth, and are prompted that it could be used for stronger glass. (also it would be nice using enameld glass for Windows without the Integrity penalty). In other words: There is little use for actually scanning things, or at least, that is something that could be expanded on gameplaywise. I was thrilled to actually unlock tech (Vines and Stalkerteeth) in the beginning, but that didn't carry through to the mid-lategame

Reinforcements exist already, I don't think we need a whole 'nother set of base modules just so we can build at deeper depths. Maybe the standard modules could get upgraded after the player discovers a specific resource like diamond (just an example) or after they progress so far in the story? That could entice the player to have multiple bases and to explore more.

Yes, that is what I meant. While I like the modularity with the reinforcements (in a sense, you make your own reinforced deep sea habitat, balanced by the cost of the reinforcemts), the fact that you can still easily pop a deep sea base without is unbalanced. This is what I wanted to argue for. In other words, compared to late game Titanium Ingot requirement, the quantity of ressources needed to build a seabase below the diving depth of the cyclops (for comparison) is laughably low. (Again, the idea is to strengthen the Cyclops by nerving seabases)

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no, the inventory is small enough as it is with 2/3 tanks in it, my tools and sometimes a Seaglide. Making it any smaller would make harvesting resources such a chore.

I think it is stated that tanks will become part of the paperdoll. Again, the idea is to take something from the early game and put it into the mid game. The fact that you have the same amount of inventory space on yourself as your small sub is weird (even more so since the Seamoth requires upgrades for that). And tbh, the greatest things (inventory spaces) that you lug around are creepvine samples and the occasional scrapmetal.

Do you mean, like, some sort of auto-sort for your inventory? Like, deposit your inventory in a receptacle and it gets automatically sorted into Lockers depending on whether it's synthetic, organise, crystal, ore, metal etc. That could be pretty useful. I'm also behind the shared inventory with the fabricator, it'd save time spent relaying back and forth between lockers and the fabricator.

Thankfully, inventories already sort themselves :) But indeed, most time I spend crafting is running from locker to locker to fabricator, forgetting about the things needed on the way. I mean, as a fixed wall tile with one/two connected lockers, that would really help.

Like, a locker that has doors on the inside and the outside of the base? It would flood the instant you opened it outside and it only takes a couple of seconds to go inside a hatch, deposit and then jump back out.
    1. The same applies to hatches. 2. It is just for convenience and immersion: Putting small stuff into a waterlock-locker is logistically less a hassle than doing it for a human being. You know that Astronauts pee in their pants when walking outside a spacestation to avoid getting back into the base?

First aid kits do have a requirement, creepvine sample and something else I think. However, the Med-Kit Dispenser is currently bugged (as shown by it having no build cost) and the devs have said they'll be working on it in the future

Ah, ok. That does make sense ;)

That would just make things overly complicated and confusing. The names are more for the players benefit rather than an in-game purpose; I doubt the survivor actually has words suddenly appearing in front of their eyes telling them what a plant is called or telling them to left-click to pick something up.
    The purpose was immersion: I thought it could be fun encountering animals that you had the sole privilege of naming and thus identifying with the flora/fauna. In the databases it could take the form of "#Playergivenname aka scientific nomenclature "Gasopod"" . On the Steamforums the Reaper is called "Satan of the Sea". The idea is to associate experiences players have with the world they are presented.
    Some good suggestions ^^ Please don't take this as me being mean/insulting, I just wanted to give my feedback and criticisms to your feedback c:

I prefer constructive criticism to being ignored ;) Also, most suggestions were just extensions of what is basially in that wonderful game. As a matter of fact, I am playing it with my daughter, and she likes it very much :)
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members

I do believe this is the idea you are looking for.
  • NecrorubiNecrorubi Germany Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215152Members
    Indeed, thank for that link! As the OP requested, I left a positive comment ;)
  • BobythebeeBobythebee France Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214045Members

Definitly needing this feature ! :o