Subnautica on Steam with the Oculus Rift - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica on Steam with the Oculus Rift - Subnautica

Subnautica is now available on Oculus Home, but the Steam version has stopped working with Oculus VR. Don’t worry, this is only temporary. Here’s an explanation from Max as to...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    "We may support other VR devices in the future. Right now the Rift is the only device available to players so that’s our focus."
    Wait what??
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Regnareb wrote: »
    "We may support other VR devices in the future. Right now the Rift is the only device available to players so that’s our focus."
    Wait what??

The Vive isnt actually out yet, is what he meant. Once it's available, look into supporting it but it does take a lot of engineering times to support these platforms.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Regnareb wrote: »
    Wait what??

The Vive isnt actually out yet, is what he meant. Once it's available, look into supporting it but it does take a lot of engineering times to support these platforms.
    I know but for a few days of differences... and Rifts are *not* available to players right now either, the two headset should be available to them nearly at the same time.
    And in more stocks for the Vive.
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    But Rifts are available to players. My roommate owns one. We've both played Subnautica on it, plus other games.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    Wheeljack wrote: »
    But Rifts are available to players. My roommate owns one. We've both played Subnautica on it, plus other games.

That's a development kit. It was not sold as, supported as or intended as consumer hardware. Vive and vive pre development kits have not been around as long, but started shipping in the second half of the last year, for free, but only to a subset of actual developers interested in VR who applied for one.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow

That's a development kit. It was not sold as, supported as or intended as consumer hardware. Vive and vive pre development kits have not been around as long, but started shipping in the second half of the last year, for free, but only to a subset of actual developers interested in VR who applied for one.

The actual retail kits have begun shipping though. Some people already have them.
  • GlyphGryphGlyphGryph USA Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201435Members

Consumer Rift is officially out and I know several people enjoying theirs.

Consumer Vive is out super soon, it's only the Pre's (dev kits) that are out right now.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Foxy wrote: »

The actual retail kits have begun shipping though. Some people already have them.

Sort of. DK1 supporters are the first ones to get theirs and the shipments are a mess. What arrives first in any great number is up in the air and not particularly important.
    edited April 2016
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    Consumer Vive is out super soon, it's only the Pre's (dev kits) that are out right now.

I know, I've ordered one. (ETA: The Vive, not the facebookulus rift)

• VorgVorg AZ Join Date: 2016-03-23 Member: 214717Members
    http://www.edtracker.org.uk/
    I have one I made but thanks to cheap china soldering, the USB connector came off and it requires micro soldeirng to fix. I have a small tip hot air torch that would work, but I have to find it, then get the flux....
  • whalan84whalan84 Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215103Members
    edited April 2016
    Just wondering if there are any estimates on when the Steam version will be updated as I am holding off until then. (But very keen to play!)
    whalan84 wrote: »
    Just wondering if there are any estimates on when the Steam version will be updated as I am holding off until then. (But very keen to play!)

The experimental version is working right now. Stable will be updated in the next few days.