Stealth Drive & Active Camouflage

abstractjaggerabstractjagger USA Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214666Members
Right now, if you get close to something that wants to eat you, it attacks based purely on range. Instead, enemies should sense your approach-- hear or see you. And in turn, you should be able to outfit your sub with countermeasures.
  1. Stealth Drive: Run silent run deep. You can slip by certain enemies, but at the cost of speed. Or outfit with active sonar to detect threats, but be warned, they may hear the pulse and come to investigate.
  2. Camouflage: Blend into the background and sneak right on past. Added electrical consumption will drain your batteries faster and may alert enemies with electroreception (just like some sharks have)

Essentially these changes could add a more strategic element to gameplay, instead of the current "see threat avoid threat."

Comments

• The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    I like the potential risks of more detection on some of these. Being able to just say "I have camo and silent running, I am now invincible), you have the risk of attracting some things from farther away.
    This idea has my full support and love. I want to build another SeaMoth, name it the Ninja, and go over to tease the Reapers.
  • SkullCroosSkullCroos Spain Join Date: 2016-03-23 Member: 214712Members
    No, This makes no sense, you aren't in a military vessel. This camuflage or Stealth drive underwater would be likely used into a more military view.

You, " the surviver " are a member of a "Colonist Vessel" that as crashs than to complete it's goal to take the resources of this planet for the greater good of Human kind, and as colonist, they would also bring guns, but not fucking tanks or nuclear missles. They aren't going against eachother, they are taking a planet that seems that has no inteligent life form as smart as humans ( Spoiler : there are, but not found yet, emperor king, was shown in the trailer )

So far, the only thing that can kill in the game, would be your knife, and that is it.
    It seems like they are better at avoiding the danger than to end it. And That is good, since "colonists" want to live in such planet, with its creatures and fauna.
    SkullCroos wrote: »
    No, This makes no sense, you aren't in a military vessel. This camuflage or Stealth drive underwater would be likely used into a more military view.

You, " the surviver " are a member of a "Colonist Vessel" that as crashs than to complete it's goal to take the resources of this planet for the greater good of Human kind, and as colonist, they would also bring guns, but not fucking tanks or nuclear missles. They aren't going against eachother, they are taking a planet that seems that has no inteligent life form as smart as humans ( Spoiler : there are, but not found yet, emperor king, was shown in the trailer )

So, you're saying that people going to a planet that they know nothing about, will never in any case for any reason take measures to defend themselves from the very real possibility of hostile life there? Even if it's not lethal weaponry because they're some kind of pacifists, a stealth drive, if the technology exists (which we can assume it does. Fabricators and dark-matter drive cores exist, why not [anything ever here]), would be a perfectly logical thing to bring along, just to avoid confrontation.
    So far, the only thing that can kill in the game, would be your knife, and that is it.
    It seems like they are better at avoiding the danger than to end it. And That is good, since "colonists" want to live in such planet, with its creatures and fauna.

How exactly is a stealth drive lethal? And you yourself are counteracting your own argument.
    It seems like they are better at avoiding the danger than to end it.

Isn't that exactly what a stealth drive is for?

The OP isn't trying to request lethal weapons. He's actually making a request for something that might alleviate people wanting them (I for one would be much more happy to run around without a shotgun if I could avoid confrontation altogether), so your argument against that is to bring up a debate that we shouldn't have lethal weapons. Explain yourself, please, because the line of reasoning here just isn't something I can see.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    Run silent run deep. hmm sound like a silent hunter.

+1 for a stealth drive at the cost of more power.
  • ImprovmanMuImprovmanMu Centerville, Utah Join Date: 2016-03-26 Member: 214837Members
    Run silent run deep. hmm sound like a silent hunter.

+1 for a stealth drive at the cost of more power.

Looking to real life vehicles, running silent often involves turning off systems. So doing it should cost less energy. Going down the logical route these are the likely sacrifices for silence:
    • Reduced speed to quiet the motor.
    • Systems that rely on transitions like sonar or possibly an in moth radio will be offline.
    • Depending on how the filtration works, pumping air in could be contributing to noise pollution.

So making it work that way will balance things out.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    The quote about "run silent run deep" and being a silent hunter is from the days I played the game Silent Hunter series. I use to play 2,3,4,and 5. If I remember right there was a Mod that was called run silent run deep. That was a great Submarine game... I still have 3,4,5 up and running on this pc

"Improvmanmu Looking to real life vehicles, running silent often involves turning off systems"

Stealth drive just sounds like it would use power, like maybe a cloaking device.
    There is no free lunch even if when Silent Running the crew is paying for it by having limited air and ect.
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    edited March 2016
    Implement this and - even better - have the lighting in the Sub turn emergency red when you run silent. To ratchet up the tension, when we're in Silent Running, you as the player must walk or crouch when you move to reduce noise... because if that Reaper Leviathan swimming above the Cyclops hears us we're meat...
  • CaricaCarica US Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214970Members
    ok.. let's not call it stealth mode... how about silent running mode.... all non essentials are disabled (only air purification, steering, new engine mod), only have minimal speed due to a secondary motor, installed via the upgrade access, which allows the seamoth to be pushed through the environment with jets that expel the surrounding water (hence the silent running mode)
    Carica wrote: »
    which allows the seamoth to be pushed through the environment with jets that expel the surrounding water (hence the silent running mode)

That's what it's already using, a pump-jet propulsor.
  • CaricaCarica US Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214970Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    which allows the seamoth to be pushed through the environment with jets that expel the surrounding water (hence the silent running mode)

That's what it's already using, a pump-jet propulsor.

ah... didn't know that. figured it was using a propeller of some kind with all the noise it produces and the comments about wanting a silent mode on it.
    ah... didn't know that. figured it was using a propeller of some kind with all the noise it produces and the comments about wanting a silent mode on it.

The engine's noise is actually quite inaccurate. The Virginia-class uses a pump-jet propulsor, and it's currently the stealthiest attack submarine on the planet.