AMD card forced restart and freezing in loading screen

NukesnipeNukesnipe United States Join Date: 2015-05-10 Member: 204370Members
So I've been wanting to get back into Subnautica lately, after watching Markiplier fail miserably at it. I last played sometime before the H2.0 update, and the game boots up fine whenever I start it. But when I create a world, it takes about five minutes, both my monitors flash black and the game freezes. About a minute after that, I get a note saying that my video card had to shut down and boot back up, and I need to close Subnautica through the control panel.
This didn't happen last I played, and I have no idea what the issue is. It happened on Experimental, it happened without. I reinstalled the game and installed it again, and it keeps happening.

I'm using an AMD Mobility Radeon 5870 and Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz, 1734 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) (just copying straight from sysinfo).
Yes, I know it's outdated as hell, the whole setup is like 6 years old, but Subnautica ran perfectly fine before.

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited February 2016
    Your probably suffering from the same bug a lot of us AMD card users are suffering

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/140601/run-into-a-major-issue#latest

Obraxis has said that it's a unity bug causing it and they're trying to fix it asap.

and yeah I can understand the want and need to play the game, I'm grinding my teeth because I can't play.
  • NukesnipeNukesnipe United States Join Date: 2015-05-10 Member: 204370Members
    Well, now that's just no fun. Thanks though, guess all I can do is wait it out?
    pretty much as frustrating as it is for us AMD card users
  • canedarkleycanedarkley usa Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213468Members
    anyone get it working yet? I am having the issue and have been since the crash sequence was introduced
    nope last I tried a day or two ago soon as I jump in water graphics card dies and recovers from an error... lol yeah they released that new update saying the game was updated to the new unity version but... it's a moot point if people with AMD cards are still crashing.
    nope last I tried a day or two ago soon as I jump in water graphics card dies and recovers from an error... lol yeah they released that new update saying the game was updated to the new unity version but... it's a moot point if people with AMD cards are still crashing.

Damn, tried again today, nadda, it is so weird, it was working for me just fine before they input the new crash sequence
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016
    It's an annoying state of affairs for us. We want to fix the AMD/ATI issue, but we can't do it ourselves.

2 Reasons.

1) We're suing Unity engine, and we do not have access to the source code for the engine, so we have to wait for Unity to fix issues themselves.

2) Silently, AMD stopped ALL driver support for MANY cards last December, so issues with Unity games will now HAVE to be fixed by Unity themselves, or not at all.
    AMD released a press release here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows+10+-+64

TLDR from AMD:
    AMD Radeon™ R5 235X, Radeon™ R5 235, Radeon™ R5 230, Radeon™ R5 220, Radeon™​ HD 8470, Radeon™ HD 8350, Radeon™ HD 8000 (​D/G variants), Radeon™ HD 7000 Series (HD 7600 and below), Radeon™ HD 6000 Series, and Radeon™ HD 5000 Series Graphics products have been moved to a legacy support model and no additional driver releases are planned.

We've tried directly contacting AMD about this issue, but they no longer test or give any developer support with the older cards either, only the newer ones.

This is going to be a major issue for other game developers going forward, not just us.
    edited March 2016
    edited March 2016
    Obraxis wrote: »
    It's an annoying state of affairs for us. We want to fix the AMD/ATI issue, but we can't do it ourselves.

2 Reasons.

1) We're suing Unity engine, and we do not have access to the source code for the engine, so we have to wait for Unity to fix issues themselves.

2) Silently, AMD stopped ALL driver support for MANY cards last December, so issues with Unity games will now HAVE to be fixed by Unity themselves, or not at all.
    AMD released a press release here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows+10+-+64

TLDR from AMD:
    AMD Radeon™ R5 235X, Radeon™ R5 235, Radeon™ R5 230, Radeon™ R5 220, Radeon™​ HD 8470, Radeon™ HD 8350, Radeon™ HD 8000 (​D/G variants), Radeon™ HD 7000 Series (HD 7600 and below), Radeon™ HD 6000 Series, and Radeon™ HD 5000 Series Graphics products have been moved to a legacy support model and no additional driver releases are planned.

We've tried directly contacting AMD about this issue, but they no longer test or give any developer support with the older cards either, only the newer ones.

This is going to be a major issue for other game developers going forward, not just us.

Dude, I have one of the R7 series, this isn't even relevant >_>

Now i am going to assume, like your other, similar posts, you mean using, not suing, (Which means you do actually type your replies, and i appreciate the time you take in that alone)
    And i also know, you have a lot of bug posts that pop up, you have got me here and on the review i wrote, like, in record timing if ever i saw any.
    So with that being said i understand you cant take the time to fully read the various posts you get and you go on a kind of auto pilot, i have been there, i get it, but at the same time( knowing yes, you are putting the info out there for other users to see about the AMD drivers) This doesn't universally play prescience for the rest of us to go " Ohhh well that explains all of it"

Now, i understand that you don't want to go back again and again to optimize the game, but there are more people that have this issue and it isn't playing on the r5 issue, now, i was sitting here asking myself " Wait, people still have those?" then remembering my tech buddy has a few.. sitting in a junk drawer.. not in any rigs. I got the R7 series two years ago, which that means r6 came out roughly 3 to 4 years ago and r5 even further back then that. So this is really playing on the minimum requirements just classily reworded, and again passing the buck.
    Honestly if this were me, seeing all this bad pr come in because of the bug, i would, because i, the DEV's are paying for a product, get onto unity about this issue.

NOW, For the really fun part!

I have been to the unity page, and read the forums, for such a vast bug, they have only one forum post with 40 followers and no replies and they do not specify the game mind you, but it is doing about the same thing i have been experiencing, and, like myself, am only running into this problem with this one game out of the other unity engine driven games i play. So you can say what you will about not optimizing until the end, sure, making the game run smoother when at the end, or near the end of production is fine and dandy, but bug fixing something that, sorry, but make the game unplayable for me and a lot of other users, in my opinion should be prioritized. Because if it isn't, your minimum requirements should openly say, "GPU: Anything but AMD and ATI until further notice" so you're not projecting a false revenue in your sales that are, in reality,, are users who when they first open it, cant play it, and either immediately demand a refund, or like me, try to get it to work and wait it out only to be disappointed, and then it is too late for a refund, being told to wait it out over the next few weeks. Ok, and if it doesn't get rectified, i have to then spend more money to get a different branded GPU then what i already have that works perfectly on other games( and to beat a dead horse, OTHER UNITY GAMES OTHER THEN THIS ONE THAT IS GIVING ME ISSUES... Sorry, the logic on this one is frustrating)

And i do understand wanting to get more and more into the game, again, when it was working it was amazing and thoroughly addicted, but now, like a withdraw, i am getting livid with this because i need my Subnautica fix. but due to stuffing more into the game then roughing out some bugs, i cannot play the game, and i will quote from my review:
    What is the point in having an amazing game, if i cant play it.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    @canedarkley I'm not passing the buck - I'm saying sometimes, we can't fix issues because the Engine we're using to make the game is not ours, and we can't fix it ourselves. And yes, virtually every single reply on the internet from me is typed out. I read and reply to as much as possible because I care about our customers and want to help wherever I can.

It's true we're seeing more issues from AMD/ATI users on Windows specifically (not Mac), and we're currently investigating it. It's not a simple or quick process due to the complexities of reproduction and the dependencies. A lot of us on the development team have AMD cards ourselves and the game runs fine. We've also purchased a lot of different new and old AMD cards to try and reproduce the issue you've seen. We've found & fixed some issues, but cannot reproduce others.

We're currently looking into seeing why some people's AMD cards do not like some of the shaders and are causing exceptions in the engine. IF it's something we can fix, we will try to do so. But as I said, when a game uses a 3rd party engine without access to the engine source code, there is a lot that we simply cannot do. I'm hoping that you understand that. It also doesnt help that AMD have not updated drivers for the R5 & R7 since December 2015 so fixes and hotfixes given to the 3XX series are not trickling down to the R5 and R7 2XX series. It's a complex issue with many variables and not as simple as 'fix it'.
    @Obraxis Hmm, i just got an update for it recently, strange(my r7 that is) and i have actually seen a few things that may give hints to what it may be but at this point it is only my own speculations. One big thing i noticed is the character model itself. The hands, you can see flesh tone clipping through what i assume is the glove textures and various fauna has a black, almost as if the secondary texture is broken. and i have validated files, uninstall reinstall for a clean state. and still the same thing.

And i really do appreciate the fact, again, that you take the time to reply, i have seen way to many lazy devs copy paste replies, it just seems that sometimes not all the info is caught and i understand because i have been there myself, so please, Don't take it as a attack of any sorts, this is just my frustration. I know it is not your fault, i am talking about the group as a whole because I cant do anything my self.

As far as the R7 200 series, i didn't read anything in that press release about the series, because, yes, the r7 200 Is in fact what i have, i see where the R5 2** went out, but the R& is fairly newer,(in the sense that you can still get them and year wise, not depreciated value wise xD)

Did some fact checking on my R7, they are still supportng it and the drivers from everything i have seen, the only thing moved to legacy were the R5's... weird
    Yes, the R7 2XX are still being supported, but the latest driver was signed by Microsoft back in December. No updates since.
    @Obraxis Ah ok, here i thought you were saying that was was discontinued to, bout gave me a panic attack xD

• NasusRegalisNasusRegalis USA Join Date: 2016-03-12 Member: 214126Members
    I hate to wonder how many AMD people are silently waiting for this to be rectified.. I feel like I have been had.. I loved this game, now it is USELESS to me as it is a water based world and game stopps working as soon as I jump in the water.

Is AMD user base that small?? Is the affected users that small??

I was quite literally shocked after waiting couple months to find that this is still going on...

Color me feeling ignored and unappreciated....
  • thegreatrogthegreatrog Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214986Members
    Well I specifically made an account just to post this. I have the exact same issue. With AMD restarting and recovering but the game freezing. I bought this game a week ago after watching some of my favorite youtubers playing it. After playing for 5 min it freezes and I get that message. So all in all I wasted my money on a game I cannot play. After searching every thing I could find its something to do with the Unity engine and AMD not supporting some of their cards or something? No idea, but I'm beyond upset and not only that but I can't get any reply from social media about what I can do. I've tried the several fixes through regedit bit with no luck. This is sad.
    My posts above explain a lot of the situation. It doesnt happen to all AMD or ATi cards. It sometimes happens to one person's model, and not another persons with the same model GPU.

We hope to have this fixed in time but as I've said above, a lot of it is out of our hands.
    @NasusRegalis @thegreatrog It is a problem for a great many of AMD/ATI users and i can vouch, after speaking with @Obraxis several times, through reviews, forum posts and the like, he has made it clear that they are trying their hardest, but with it being, and these are my words mind you, a small scale in the grand scheme of things when it is regarding this game, the most we can do is politely wait for a fix, or get ourselves a newer GPU and jump right back into a early access game.

And i know the urge to play a game because youtuber's play it is a big thing a lot of fans feel, we have to realize it IS indeed a early access, and their will be at times, and quoting UW on this one, an ocean full of bugs. they have their workload and bigger fish to fry then this bug with outdated graphics cards. I have come to realize this
    I was as frustrated if not more so then most and made my voice heard and UW staff like @Obraxis have been nothing but kind and understanding, now we must do the same for them.
    edited March 2016
    AMD have released a new driver yesterday for:

Radeon™ R9 200, R7 200, R5 300, ​R5 240, HD 8500 - HD 8900, and HD 7700 – HD 7900 Series

Windows 10 (64-bit)​​
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64
    Windows 8.1 (64-bit)​​
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+8.1+-+64
    Windows 7 (64-bit)​​
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64

Radeon™ R9 Fury, R9 300, and R7 300 Series

Windows 10 (64-bit)​​
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64
    Windows 8.1 (64-bit)​​
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+8.1+-+64
    Windows 7 (64-bit)​​
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64

Please download and try this driver and let us know if anything improves.
    @Obraxis Good looking out man, i will update and post if it fixed, fingers crossed
  • WheeljackWheeljack Chilling in the Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214338Members
    edited March 2016
    I have a Radeon HD 7700 series card that has had zero problems with this game, so I can vouch that not all cards are being affected. I know I'd be just as put out but these sorts of issues when more than half the playing field is out of your hands, there's not much that can be done.

Having said that, I'm actually reluctant to install the new driver for fear that it'll break something somehow. Silly I know, but that's how much I enjoy this game. In the interest of giving the team as much info as possible, though, I'll install when I get home and report any differences or problems if I run into them.

Edit: Driver installed with no visible changes or problems. :3