Subnautica Multiplayer: When, if, how, and why. - Subnautica

Comments

• TribeofoneTribeofone Eagle River Alaska Join Date: 2015-08-22 Member: 207365Members
    So how about another Subnautica after you do this one and make it Co-op or multiplayer?
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    Nothing like minecraft here, about the only thing one could change on the avatar would be the diving suit color maybe? really isn't much point since you can't really see your survivor in a 3rd person view at the present, altering what one can see like the Cyclops, Seamoth colors or maybe even the base you build (Don't know if they even want to implement base colorization) is all there is for you to see and modify for your pleasure, kind of pointless to customize something you can't really see at the moment.

If and when they do put some sort of multiplayer system in they might consider customizing avatars, at the present, waste of time.

Unatan mate, i meant what our characters change appearance when 1st person and 3rd person body viewing is done
  • EjemorehEjemoreh Join Date: 2016-02-19 Member: 213203Members
    Personally on the subject of multiplayer, keep it to 2 player co-op. And here are my reasons, 1 more thant that and the resource drain would be huge both in dev and in game, 2 trolls and a lot of them, 3 as a player I noticed that I always have an unused submarine when exploring either the seamoth or the cyclops, 4 newer players need babysitting, and 5 leviathans wouldnstill be a threat and what I mean is one distracts in the seamoth/cyclops, one person with a propulsion gun and one person dropping floaters to fire.
  • austinezaaustineza Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213460Members
    I personally think multiplayer should be added, but AFTER the Subnautica game is 100% done developing (since multiplayer would take many months to make).
  • tommywaitsytommywaitsy Australia Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213641Members
    If they implement 2-4 coop, I hope the devs don't worry too much about balance. If they do, just minor tweaks. People just want to play together, and I don't see the problem with multi-player being a somewhat easier mode.
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Join Date: 2010-10-13 Member: 74423Members
    You're idiots for not making co-op your #1 priority. How many people have to beg you for this daily before you get the hint?
  • austinezaaustineza Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213460Members
    jkflipflop wrote: »
    You're idiots for not making co-op your #1 priority. How many people have to beg you for this daily before you get the hint?

They want to make multiplayer but they can't just add it or there would be tons of bugs and they would need to rewrite tons of the code which takes months, so we would have to wait months just to get multiplayer and not to get any other updates. So that is why I think they should add it when they are finished making the other things in subnautica and not now ;)
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    austineza wrote: »
    jkflipflop wrote: »

They want to make multiplayer but they can't just add it or there would be tons of bugs and they would need to rewrite tons of the code which takes months, so we would have to wait months just to get multiplayer and not to get any other updates. So that is why I think they should add it when they are finished making the other things in subnautica and not now ;)

Yeah. And only with the farming update is the game even at a point where I'd say it's worthwhile even contemplating and/or discussing a feature freeze and work on a multiplayer mode being done. And, in the hypothetical discussion, my opinion would be: "not yet, there's too many other things that should still be included."

But with the rework of fragments and the scanner and the scattered wrecks, the game is only getting better. And there's still more great stuff on the horizon. Adding destroyed lifepods and more scattered wreckage and moving fragments into (possibly around) said wreckage. Changing fragments to be recognizable bits of technology instead of the white-safe placeholder. Adding O2 as a required base resource and giving the Seamoth limited oxygen. The future is looking pretty cool for the game.

While I agree multiplayer would be a great feature to add in, I want the game to be complete or at least more complete before getting a focus to multiplayer.
  • aidanrmckaidanrmck usa Join Date: 2016-03-01 Member: 213679Members
    I love this game but i really don't see a point in redoing everything and making it multiplayer. Co Op would work and it wouldn't remove the desperate feel of the game. It would become easier later in the game but lets face it, the character we play will never really be on the top of the food chain. So adding another player would make food and water a larger priority at the start and allow us to compete with something like the reaper acting as a team later. I wouldn't even add more resources or change the enemies, we are using a knife or a nonlethal weapon when we are swimming around and torpedoes would very much be a double edged sword with another player. I understand the game would need to be changed to some degree but i feel like changing it from the start is not what we the players or you the makers want and if you look at the intro, there's a empty seat.
  • GalacaticSurvivorGalacaticSurvivor NY, United States Join Date: 2016-02-12 Member: 212919Members
    I think that you choukd create a basic multiplayer function, then move on to update and change it with future updates,
  • RasandeRasande Canada Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213655Members
    I think you guys made the right decision on focusing on the single player aspect first. It'll take time, but we all hope you can implement a multiplayer at some point after there's a solid single player experience. I think most of us expect the co-op being any where between 2-4 players, which will be challenging.
  • PeterManizePeterManize Pandolite Join Date: 2015-12-28 Member: 210458Members
    Can i share my humble opinion without being bitten, shocked and eaten alive? :)

Well the game has it is now, should not have a multiplayer.
    Besides from the obvious bug related problems/Early development stage, the multiplayer version would be completely unplayable.

I am going for the fact that the map is still to small for.. ah.. lets say 10 people to play independently.
    The Loot available in the map is quite limited. Speaking for my experience i can clean up the safe shallows in a few days of all its resources, and multiplying my affect by adding 9 more people in the game it is going to be completely insane.
    The spawn point, is another problem. Since we all are going to spawn really close to each other.

But lets move on to the main topic, The Subnautica Multiplayer Version.

But my main quetion Is what is the multiplayer that the community wants?
    - truth be told it can't be player versus player in my perception, since this would be completely unfair regarding the "weapons" available in game. [Speaking of the OP strategy that is the Stasis Gun+Knife them to death]
    - I would believe and probably accept more if the game became a coop survival, it would be something unique. But then again... all Coop survival games die out quickly - In my experience i do enjoy the creative part but without the "challenging part" since you will have strength in numbers to take down easily and unfairly easy everything that the game has to offer to you.

Biggest Example:
    - 10 People versus the actual Powerhouse Reaper Leviathan [- We have dinner tonight!]

But i am going to conclude my opinion here.
    All that i expect from this game in this topic is something completely unique.
    If? It is the Dev's Decision.
    When? It is the Dev's call.
    How? It depends on the Dev's Great Imagination - since they came up with an amazing and funny concept for a game
    Why? Well... I think we are the answer if there is going to be a multiplayer version, right?

• eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    My only wish is for the game to get to release, if that's in a solo mode great, co-op can come later.
    If ppl are going to diss a great game because its not multiplayer then to bad for your loss.

Subnautica is becoming a great game right before our eyes and I think that is wonderful that I can see it take shape. It will join a short list of games as my favorite games of all times and I go back to 1980 ish when all we had to play was solo games.

Thank you to all the devs and unsung heroes of the Subnautica world.

• scifichikitascifichikita United States Join Date: 2016-03-07 Member: 213970Members
    For me, a part of what makes this game great is the soul crushing solitude. It's eerie; it's creepy. Adding a friend to derp around with would be fun, but it would cut back on that.

With that being said, I wouldn't be against multiplayer. But I've grown up a solo gamer myself, and I see nothing wrong with how the game is being run solo. It's a great experience. Each time I came across a new biome I had to muster up the courage to go in BY MYSELF and put my big girl panties on. Great job development team! Great job. This game is awesome as is, and continues to become even greater with each new update.
  • TribeofoneTribeofone Eagle River Alaska Join Date: 2015-08-22 Member: 207365Members
    Still like to play it with friends. So both i hope at some point will be an option. :wink:
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    I'd buy a 'Subnautica together' but would hope it'd be free for anyone who'd purchased the solo player BEFORE Unknown Worlds Set an initial release date for Subnautica-Together (that is to say, probably everyone who's reading this).
  • JayruneJayrune The Internet Join Date: 2016-03-09 Member: 214047Members
    The new version idea (Don't Starve Together's approach) is definitely the best approach to go with. I agree that you guys are on the right path to continue and finish out the game single player style, especially with the lore and atmosphere you are cultivating. For multiplayer you would have to alter a great deal of core systems to support that given the fact that resources do not replenish right now (aside from solar power) and there being a sole survivor in an escape pod a core element

Shifting gears now would be bad, so i am 100% behind your decision to not pursue multiplayer right now since you've got a lot of ideas, improvements, and refinements already in the pipeline (looking forward to the functional lockers in the cyclopes :)).

That said, i really do hope that a multiplayer version can be made once the single player version has been completed, i would certainly buy it and i think i know of at least a few folks who would also buy it and play it with me.
  • kingfirejetkingfirejet Virginia, USA Join Date: 2015-04-14 Member: 203435Members
    I have a dream that one day I can play co-op in Subnautica with my friends completing the story together with a VR headset (PSVR). That would be an amazing experience that I would never forget,
  • PauoloPauolo France Join Date: 2016-03-13 Member: 214187Members
    Co-op in Subnautica would be nice indeed, but I only see this as one of the last updates to the game, if the developers are interested in doing so.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    Pauolo wrote: »
    Co-op in Subnautica would be nice indeed, but I only see this as one of the last updates to the game, if the developers are interested in doing so.

Basically been my opinion as well. I'd love to play with 1-2 friends, but as much as I love this game, I'd rather it be feature-complete single-player first. Then maybe work on adding in a small-scale co-op mode.
  • MrCavalierosMrCavalieros France Join Date: 2013-10-03 Member: 188573Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited March 2016
    It's the only thing that stops my friend and me from buying it. As we are all NS1 and NS2 fans.
  • ServilcatServilcat Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4897Members
    I just wanted to come back to this thread now that I've actually played the game.

I've completely changed my mind. If you look at my earlier posts, they were indignant and I fully retract them.

Having played the game I can say without reservation that it is truly transcendent of concerns like multiplayer or not multiplayer. Keep up the amazing work!
  • MrMattogreen25MrMattogreen25 Subnautica, Aurora Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204490Members
    The part I find ridiculous, at least reading this now, is that they recently reached the $20 million revenue milestone for their company, yet they have no solid plans for hiring future dev teams. They need to do so, preferably putting them on multiplayer duty, so we can FINALLY have our co-op adventures together! Even if it's only 2 player, that's acceptable! After the official v1.0 release, co-op should be first priority. Everything after multiplayer should be designed around it as well. Until multiplayer, the devs are hoping to add drones to help you perform tasks around the sea, so I guess they could stand in for other players until multiplayer arrives.
  • MrMattogreen25MrMattogreen25 Subnautica, Aurora Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204490Members
    I know it's probably waaaay far off if it ever gets added, but cross-platform multiplayer should be standard, so that PC, Xbox, and PS4 can play together.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    I can see an MMO online, Free to play of course, so we have to buy our new subs with online coins using real money. We have seen this before, its the model a lot of games use now days. Oh and new in the Sub store this month only a new diver suit ... No thank you.

Co-op maybe. But I think we should define what we mean by co-op. would this be like Diablo 2 or Arma2 where you could password games or only Lan with a friend or both? With online servers? or an MMO FTP/monthly sub?

The old saying "be careful what you wish for, you may just get it" comes to mind.

I love SubNautica as a solo game.
  • RedNuiiRedNuii North America Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214621Members
    I would very much prefer the game to be multiplayer and stop the development of new things in the game. Playing with someone else changes the game completely and add a whole new layer of playablilty. Please reconsider your decision, thank you.
  • kolboomkolboom Germany Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214670Members
    Storyline and POI's, that means really Special things to find and achievements to do is much more important than multiplayer.
  • blazphemyblazphemy Don't worry bout it Join Date: 2016-03-24 Member: 214758Members
    I hope to my nonexistent god they do not try to rip people off with making a complete clone and charging for the same thing but with Multiplayer. If they do then I wanna see some love to those who supported you early and they get this expansion/game free. Don't Starve was supposed to be MP... like this... they pulled the same crap... "We wanted to put multiplayer in but it's too much work for us right now" after being hounded by EVERYONE THAT MULTIPLAYER WOULD MAKE IT BETTER! MP! MP! MP! So after being pelted by EVERYONE over it... they broke down, made a fkin clone and are charging for it... full price as the original... DO NOT BE LIKE THOSE SCUMBAGS! *Constant lookout for scamming Devs intensifies greatly*
  • GlyphGryphGlyphGryph USA Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201435Members
    blazphemy wrote: »
    I hope to my nonexistent god they do not try to rip people off with making a complete clone and charging for the same thing but with Multiplayer. If they do then I wanna see some love to those who supported you early and they get this expansion/game free. Don't Starve was supposed to be MP... like this... they pulled the same crap... "We wanted to put multiplayer in but it's too much work for us right now" after being hounded by EVERYONE THAT MULTIPLAYER WOULD MAKE IT BETTER! MP! MP! MP! So after being pelted by EVERYONE over it... they broke down, made a fkin clone and are charging for it... full price as the original... DO NOT BE LIKE THOSE SCUMBAGS! *Constant lookout for scamming Devs intensifies greatly*

It's not particularly scummy to charge more money for something that costs more money to make. They have stated their priorities for this game, and multiplayer isn't in them. They don't currently have enough money or time to fill their priorities AND do multiplayer.

Doing a second multiplayer release gives them the simultaneous benefits of more time before it would need to be done, and more money to actually do it with.

That's actually reasonable.

But it should probably be released as an expansion at expansion prices not as a full independent game, that much I'll give you.
This discussion has been closed.