why is leap not a default ability!?

NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
edited March 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
if marine can jump 5 feet backwards then why skulks leap jump require the alien commander to upgrade?
most of the players don't know skulks can leap off the wall but if marine require to jump farther back only from a higher object aka crate or railing!?

Comments

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2016
    You shouldn't stop in one position to bite a marine, if the marine jumps "5 feet backwards" you should fill the gap with your own ground-swerve or jumping curve to bite them, i hope you don't just sit there waiting for the marine to jump into your teeth, or even lose a braincell in a timeloop while he gets 10feet away and kills you.

Can't expect skill movement to be gimped/nerfed anymore then it already has been just because you won't learn the mechanics.

Leap is actually currently underpowered in NS2 which is why alot of coms don't upgrade leap near the start to be honest i think it should go back to being an instant passive second hive upgrade for skulks so more skulks suddenly start using it.

But then again, you're missing out on the flipside of your question, if it becomes a default upgrade then that means that the marines are going to start having trouble aiming at leaping skulks so in effect you're making it even harder to kill skulks right at the start which causes balance issues, i mean for me i would love to have that leap because i dominate with it and that would ruin balance.

to fix, you could enable leap as a passive second hive ability as it was in NS1 (i know some previous builds tried it and it didn't work out to well) but also increase the leap height when aiming up + speed of leap to gain air-control) that way the commander wouldn't have to upgrade anything other then get a second hive.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited March 2016
    Leap is too powerful for Hive 1. If you look at a marine jumping away from you and press w, you're just as fast as he is. This makes it a fun interaction between the two.

Sometimes jumping is what makes a marine win, sometimes jumping is what makes a marine lose.
    Sometimes jumping is what makes a skulk win, sometimes jumping is what makes a skulk lose.

Same for lots of things like wiggling. You and the skulk always have choices of how to interact with each other to win the engagement. Leap is just strong than all these normal interactions, and that's the point, you're rewarded with power for taking care of your 2nd hive.

So, you should look for how to play that you play best. What gives you the highest killchance % in x scenario.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    There are a lot of people who think that just because skulks are melee, they should have an advantage at melee range. This is not true, and if it was, it would be horrible for game balance since the aliens can always choose to engage with larger numbers.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    NS-Soldier wrote: »
    if marine can jump 5 feet backwards

aaaaaaaaand... stopped reading

DAE marines can spam pogo jump at a million miles an hour with no restrictions/penalties - NERF PLZ

Jesus fucking christ I thought these type of threads had gone extinct but apparently that would be too good to be true.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    NS-Soldier wrote: »
    if marine can jump 5 feet backwards

aaaaaaaaand... stopped reading

DAE marines can spam pogo jump at a million miles an hour with no restrictions/penalties - NERF PLZ

Jesus fucking christ I thought these type of threads had gone extinct but apparently that would be too good to be true.

Well, that's because it's still an issue.

I do agree that marine jumping is still pretty... eh. Fixworthy. But rather than work on the symptom by increasing leap availability I'd like to see marine's pogo sticks removed.
    Although this will probably give aliens an advantage, so we'll have to watch out for that.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    While it is annoying how some marines have this ability to jump away faster than a skulk can move, making leap available from the start would be so insanely overpowered it's not even funny..

Just think about playing marine against leaping skulks and you have nothing. No shotguns, no upgrades, no jetpacks, nothing..

Make leap free and marine wins would become an extremely rare thing.
  • develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    edited March 2016
    Leap is for dealing with jetpacks, so you don't feel completely useless.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The title of this dicussion is confusing. What exactly was meant by "default upgrade"? Do you mean "an upgrade that is mandatory", or "default ability" that is usable from the start of the game, or "auto research" that is unlocked with biomass/hive?

I do agree that skulk jumping mechanisms could be changed to be more intuitive to learn.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I feel the marine jump is a skill they need to master. I spam jump and get owned by better skulks. But the really top notch players (like everyone else in Australia) can jump backwards onto props on the level and keep jumping - getting perfectly timed jumps in as well as aiming like a god. So the conclusion for me is, keep it as is (can tweak acceleration numbers again may be), but it is actually at a really good place right now.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    edited March 2016
    I feel the marine jump is a skill they need to master. I spam jump and get owned by better skulks. But the really top notch players (like everyone else in Australia) can jump backwards onto props on the level and keep jumping - getting perfectly timed jumps in as well as aiming like a god. So the conclusion for me is, keep it as is (can tweak acceleration numbers again may be), but it is actually at a really good place right now.

Yes but this is a cause of (sometimes great) frustration for rookies or casual players on public sessions.

(disagree on OP though, Leap is an upgrade and quite well placed on the upgrade path)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    This kinda falls in the category where you shouldn't balance around newbie gameplay. That is reserved for lowering the threshold/learning curve and making things more clear :)
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    To mention the AUS players moveablility without mentioning the ping problem for making contact with players is kinda upsetting...

Being the pub player that I am:

It's very easy for me to see the effects of low pings and high pings.

OFTEN a player who's able to not get bit has a ping twice as high as everyone else. I am not someone who spams the bite button either.

As a marine, there's many times where I dodge too much considering their lifeform. When I push down their fade who took too many swipes at me. I'd love to agree that aliens have proper mellee fairness but they DO NOT. A fades arm should be able to slide the head of any nearby marine. It's not like the marine has to choose duck or jump. Just move out of the way randomly and let their ping do all the work.

A server that monitored pings would be nice, but empty half the time for sure, but to be able to place all your opponets on the same tick would be great.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited March 2016
    ^ I agree the movement mechanic shouldn't be made easier since it would take away from the game at higher skill levels.

I have heard from people in pubs that it's very difficult for players to bite jumping marines. I do think there needs to be tutorial videos and instruction on what to do as a skulk. It's great to go over walljumping, but if players don't know what to do when they encounter a good marine player that moves away from them, all the wall jumping stuff they worked on isn't going to help.

I'm sure it can be frustrating for many players as skulk when they try to get close to marines that are jumping away from them, and they may feel like they have no chance. I think it would be better if there was, "what to do in the battle" tutorials. Or video instruction from devs or experienced players on how to attack a marine player that jumps away or creates distance from you.

There also should be tutorials on what to do as a marine. I think how to improve your accuracy as marine/be more of a threat and skulk in the battle tutorials couldn't hurt.
    Also, if you ever did release these, I would promote them somehow or direct people to them that wanted to compete at a higher level/improve their skills. They could also be called how to be a pub star videos.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I smell a Nickelback Cover song @Deck_
    edited March 2016
    First you gotta tell them that you can't sneak up on anyone at all. As sad as that sounds. radar reveils too much for targets behind the marine. Or am I wrong?
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    OP symptom may have a different cause.

Skulk bite reg is affected by lag/jitter. With lag the marine movement becomes jerky/unpredictable and with jitter it becomes extremely unreliable/bouncy. This gives the impression of "marine too far away to bite".

• MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    One problem is how colliding with a Marine the wrong way during a bite can steal your walljumping speed boost, basically leaving you a brick out in the open with little to no chance of catching the Marine as they jump away.

They could maybe fix it by doing something like a short 1 second delay before the walljump speed boost wears off. That way colliding with a Marine wouldn't be enough to completely steal all your speed. (after all it is extremely hard to not collide and lose speed while biting at them)

Leap as default is still incredibly OP though... Like so OP that it would be comparable to giving Marines Jetpacks as default.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    One problem is how colliding with a Marine the wrong way during a bite can steal your walljumping speed boost, basically leaving you a brick out in the open with little to no chance of catching the Marine as they jump.

Hold ctrl always when walljumping. If you run straight into them, you'll stop. But if you graze and bite, you won't lose momentum and can get behind them. Also prevents you from losing speed when traversing the map with wall jumps and you hit an odd angle or w/e.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    Hehe @2cough I guess our "oldschool FPS pinky finger" is stuff of legends. It can probably pierce solid quartz :D
    What's control key do for you? I use custom keys.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    This felt in the same category like this steam discussion:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/451850020338265411/

Its basicly:
    I cant kill enemys, so the game has to change into a way i can.
    How about this instead:
    I cant kill enemys, so i have to change the way i play.

Well, its always easier have the 1st, right?

Im far away from the best players, but i think my skulking is atleast ok.
    And while jumping marines can be a bit annoying sometimes, most times its kinda funny to see them jumping like idiots unable to dodge while they are relative easy to kill.

And the real good players avoiding jump spam for exact that reason, they cant dodge anymore.
    dePARA wrote: »
    And the real good players avoiding jump spam for exact that reason, they cant dodge anymore.

Yep and this is the exact point where that oh so important skill ceiling is :)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2016
    Really the same thing goes for skulks as well. If you're jumping as a skulk when engaging a marine, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. A) you're putting yourself closer to the marines face, where his bullets are coming from making aim easier. B ) you are unable to strafe in the air, making your path of movement entirely predictable and taking movement control away from yourself.

I know most of us here already know these things, but it's worth mentioning anyways for new readers. Get close and strafe around their legs while chomping. Jumping puts your right into their line of fire.
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    This isn't something that will be solved by watching a video or simply telling people what to do on a forum somewhere. Newer players need opportunities to practice and iterate without fear of public shaming or veteran players stomping their attempts to learn into dust.

No, green servers are not the solution. We need better training tools.