ns2_dark

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
  • SamG2020SamG2020 Bristol UK | Vancouver Canada Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209449Members
    Played a few rounds recently, really enjoyed it though there were a few little issues. At one point a lerk got outside of the map and was biting the structures in shuttle bay from beneath the map.

Nice work though! I can see it working well for shade hive starts on bigger servers.
    SamG2020 wrote: »
    Played a few rounds recently, really enjoyed it though there were a few little issues. At one point a lerk got outside of the map and was biting the structures in shuttle bay from beneath the map.

Nice work though! I can see it working well for shade hive starts on bigger servers.

if you could sam, try to find out how he got outside of the map so i can fix it please
    nvm think i found the spot where he must have escaped from the map. Fixed it
  • SamG2020SamG2020 Bristol UK | Vancouver Canada Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209449Members
    I've seen a lot of players getting stuck around the lava pit's trenches. It seems easy to get stuck down there and the only way out is to jump into the lava or use the kill command.

In terms of balance, I have found the map to play pretty well aside from when aliens start in geode. That seems to give them too much of an early advantage over marines. This is probably largely just a map awareness issue, since many marines get caught up trying to walk into elevator through mountain pass at round start. Aliens had secured gorge tunnels within three minutes to all hives and the marines were being cut off at bridge, so they couldn't do anything about that while making no progress in elevator. That left marines with only their main base RT, no tech, and an auto-surrender after 7 minutes. The geode start seems to be very punishing for early marine mistakes.

When the hive starts further from the marine start, I think it has been an hour long match every time I've played it. There have also been lots of turnaround moments through sneaky tunnels, PGs, etc. A lot of fun!
    edited March 2016
    SamG2020 wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of players getting stuck around the lava pit's trenches. It seems easy to get stuck down there and the only way out is to jump into the lava or use the kill command.

In terms of balance, I have found the map to play pretty well aside from when aliens start in geode. That seems to give them too much of an early advantage over marines. This is probably largely just a map awareness issue, since many marines get caught up trying to walk into elevator through mountain pass at round start. Aliens had secured gorge tunnels within three minutes to all hives and the marines were being cut off at bridge, so they couldn't do anything about that while making no progress in elevator. That left marines with only their main base RT, no tech, and an auto-surrender after 7 minutes. The geode start seems to be very punishing for early marine mistakes.

When the hive starts further from the marine start, I think it has been an hour long match every time I've played it. There have also been lots of turnaround moments through sneaky tunnels, PGs, etc. A lot of fun!

yea i like it when dig site is the alien start, was thinking of having a fixed alien spawn so they always start in dig site, but it would reduce the variety quite abit. I will also look into adding a way out of those trenches without having to kill yourself.
    changelog003

.Added rocks players can use to get out of the dry rivers in lava pit
    .Added more locations outside of the navmesh where tunnels can be placed
    .Added clutter in area from cart tunnel to grizzly
    .Switched to fixed spawns, marines in shuttlebay and aliens in dig site. Let me know if you like this change.
  • migalskimigalski Boston Join Date: 2014-07-02 Member: 197181Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Played on this a few days ago, for wooza's it might be a good map but for any other server its simply far too large. The rooms in general favor marines greatly and as a result playing alien is a struggle, very open while not many hiding spots. The South side is extremely alien favored(not sure if that is intended) Too many extremely tight hallways and pits. In general though the map looks really nice but just insanely large, even for 42 players.
    migalski wrote: »
    Played on this a few days ago, for wooza's it might be a good map but for any other server its simply far too large. The rooms in general favor marines greatly and as a result playing alien is a struggle, very open while not many hiding spots. The South side is extremely alien favored(not sure if that is intended) Too many extremely tight hallways and pits. In general though the map looks really nice but just insanely large, even for 42 players.

i am working on a smaller version of the map
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2016
    name suggestions: ns2: ns2_dark (small) ns2large: ns2_darkness (original)
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    ChrisStark wrote: »
    name suggestions: ns2: ns2_dark (small) ns2large: ns2_darkness (original)

Could also do ns2_dark and ns2lg_dark since they're two different gamemodes now.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Or create three sizes: ns2_dark, ns2_darker and ns2_darkest :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Or just overwrite the existing one.
    If anyone would like to borrow rooms from this map in their own map projects then you are welcome to do so.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    If anyone would like to borrow rooms from this map in their own map projects then you are welcome to do so.

you got it sir!!!
  • HEllrunner2kHEllrunner2k Join Date: 2013-07-05 Member: 185945Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That is stunning!!!! And i've got an idea to a vent like room!
    I don't remember the name of These put it would be awsome with a huge one that could work like a vent for the kharaa lifeforms!
    5kum96xu6eps.jpeg

amethyst
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I think what he's looking for is "geode."
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
  • IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    Played on the version that TTO is currently using - The map is too big. Way too big. Waaayyyyy toooo biiiig. Once this is "fixed" then I would be willing to talk about something else about this map. But this is the biggest problem (no pun intended), and it needs to be adressed :)
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ixian wrote: »
    Played on the version that TTO is currently using - The map is too big. Way too big. Waaayyyyy toooo biiiig. Once this is "fixed" then I would be willing to talk about something else about this map. But this is the biggest problem (no pun intended), and it needs to be adressed :)

The map is for huge servers, so it is not too big.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    need a tunnel between mountain pass and mineshaft
    edited April 2016

if aliens held mineshaft that would make rushing shuttlebay far to easy, at the moment the map is alien biased and i am looking into ways to remedy it.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members

if aliens held mineshaft that would make rushing shuttlebay far to easy, at the moment the map is alien biased and i am looking into ways to remedy it.

The problem is that you have this huge area on the whole left side where it's extremely easy to trap lifeforms because there are only 2 ways out
  • Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    There is a hole in the map allowing players to get out. should fix it when you get the chance. It's at the ping area. just g oagainst the wall and walk up
    EAADD55350B74FC1FCA131E9ECB75FA883522D2F
    thanks will check it out
    changelog 005
    . fixed the hole in mountain pass, thanks boss :)
    . removed some of the pipes in mineshaft
    . improved the navmesh
    . added ability to place tunnels up near tram tracks of geode
    . fixed various small holes and gaps in map
    changelog 006

. removed the rt in elevator and placed it in mountain pass.
    .removed various props from the level to hopefully balance the map a little more.
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited August 2016
    Great map. Quite like the cave design in this. There are some very pretty rooms and they neatly add to each other and im always happy when i see a vote for it.

Regarding design improvements and ideas:

The snow area looks great, altho i would try to add an additional way to get around for aliens dented inside the rock below the normal walkway. This way you cannot simply snipe them away.

For the hangar with the landing ship i would love to see skylights. Skulks would have to choose their path wisely.
    Also i imagine a little area for storage crates dented into the sidewall of the hangar, where marines have to check
    for tunnels or build an obs.

Also i imagine there gotta be a computer console with cables or something to manage the whole hangar thing.
    Other then that i cannot think of anything right now.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is the name dark just a placeholder for now or is it the official name, not got a problem with it, just sounds odd