ns2_dark

Comments

• ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    This looks really awesome. Can't wait to play it with the Tundra Pack enabled :dizzy:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    Mephilles wrote: »
    ns2_hera is finished before you finish caged XD

196rfn9vxtvzzgif.gif
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Let's not derail this thread with things like the undeniable truth.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    since you're working on insane outside areas im going to post about mine...b3pn82c6kd0r.jpeg
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited February 2016
    i have been working on the lighting abit, not really happy with how it was.

xim5kuj16fvl.jpg
    hdcim9waf27g.jpg
    7ocy1xr6p5yj.jpg
    o4hdcsa3jy8r.jpg
    jpvxyh7zs7od.jpg
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    men27v2babb1.jpg

still on track for sunday.

Map is big, a bit bigger than mineshaft. Thinking of adding another res node probably in construction but best to test it abit. Just worried about the distance of rts from shuttle bay.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am not saying arcing is bad, but are you concerned with arcing shuttle bay from construction.
    edited March 2016
    well shuttle bay is marine start so not reslly, its the only location that can be easily arced and still the room only barely appraches arc range

my main issue is not being able to set the camera height correctly, keeps appearing way to low when i jump in chair. Ajusting the height on the camera entity does nothing. How do i fix it again?
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    what are the times from marine start to the natural RTs? and how many cysts does it take to get to the alien naturals? (just so I have more of an ideal of the size of the map)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016
    map is ready for ver 1 release, its all done. I imagine its oging to have heaps of problems so cant wait for sundays scc.

Is it on the workshop yet? Would love to run around on it! :)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016
    my main issue is not being able to set the camera height correctly, keeps appearing way to low when i jump in chair. Ajusting the height on the camera entity does nothing. How do i fix it again?

I've found that to create the height map, what I do is I duplicate the entire map into a new editor instance (copy paste). Put that in a layer so it can all be selected easily. Then, go around dropping commander_camera entities all over the map. Don't bother adjusting the height value of them -- it's already at a good distance from the ground. Be sure to have plenty of cameras up on slopes. Once I've got all my cameras placed, I select the layer with the whole map in it, delete it, then select all (which will be all the cameras), copy, then paste those back into my original level, and put them in a layer. :) Now, when you run overview.exe (with builder I would suggest), it will generate an "overviews/your_map_name.hmp" file to go with the actual map overlay. This hmp file is a heightmap that interpolates between the commander cameras so when you're in commander view or overhead spectate mode, it will know how high above the terrain it should be.

EDIT: OOps sorry, thought I was editing an existing post. :(
    i usually have 2 levels, 1 for the overview with stripped out props to make it more clear and 1 for the actual level probably what was causing the headache, i didnt know the camera required location entities to work correctly.
    i usually have 2 levels, 1 for the overview with stripped out props to make it more clear and 1 for the actual level probably what was causing the headache, i didnt know the camera required location entities to work correctly.

It doesn't require location entities to work correctly. It does require a minimap_extents. :)
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

It doesn't require location entities to work correctly. It does require a minimap_extents. :)

same thing its just a big location :)
    version 1 is released
    changelog 001

.added anther res node, its in construction. Should help marines out.
    .Improved the nav mesh overall
    .fixed navmesh issue in silo.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I would like to know the spawn locations each team can spawn in.

But also here is a little list of things I'd like to see changed:

- Elevator RT is too far away from shuttle bay, I would actually suggest moving it to where the power node is in mountain pass
    - the circle in elevator is too big. if we wanna move the RT you need to be able to get though elevator faster
    - there is a lign of sight issue on dry river RT (from lava pit)
    c6923b0708.jpg
    If I go even further back the RT disappears
    - greybox vent in maintenance
    - and maybe use the spawn_selection_override entity so close spawns don't happen
    there is an rt in construction to makeup for shuttlebays distant rts which means it has 3 adjoining rts all the others have 2. I think i will run it like this for a bit but if all else fails then i will move the rt from ele to mountain pass.

Ele is a big room, initially i had a set of ladders so marines could climb up much quicker. I will bring them back if it proves to much.

Map doesnt really work with anything less than 22 players.

Thanks for feedback. I will eventually texture the vent and ill look into adding some form of sight blocker for the rt there.
    shame... I always try to balance for 12-16 players
    Mephilles wrote: »
    shame... I always try to balance for 12-16 players

i avoid playing on a server with less than 22, simply because i hate waiting around for games to start
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited March 2016
    Just took a look at it ingame. Here's my first impressions:
    - This map is huge. Even if you optimize it for high playercounts, you will probably have to size it down a little.
    - Not only is the map huge, the rooms are, too. Aliens (and especially onos) are going to have a hard time.
    - Big rooms come with LoS issues. Take a look at cart tunnel and lagoon (looking at geode/mineshaft) especially. Mineshaft is enormous.
    - A lot of these rooms are really awesome. Especially Lava Pit and Grizzly. (Helps that Grizzly has more cover.)
    - It's a little hard to get out of the pit in Grizzly as a marine. Could you use a smaller box as stepping stone?
    - Marines can fall down and get stuck in the waterfall in Dig Site.
    - I'm pretty sure you can't get out of the dry riverbeds in Lava Pit as a marine.
    - Mountain Pass is very cool, but it takes very, very long to run through it. Some of the rocks lack collision, allowing marines to get into spots they shouldn't.
    - It would be cool if the elevator in Elevator could be made functional. (Extra Entities?)
    edit: Also if marines can get pgs in cart tunnel they'll probably win.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    I was excited for this, but given that it does not work with less than 22 players I do not have a reason to pay attention to it. As a pub player, I play almost exclusively in 8v8 servers.

Also, feedback from todays SCC playtest. The grizzly RT was too narrow. I could not walk around the sides as a skulk, let alone an onos.
    edited March 2016
    changelog 002

. fixed holes in elevator
    . fixed the collision in mountain pass,
    . increased size of grizzly rt area a little
    . blocked los to rt from lava pit to dry river
    . fixed marines gettting stuck in waterfall of dig site
    . added rocks to allow marines to climb up out of elevator faster.

-edit

.fixed props in mountain pass that would allow players to pass through
    .fixed small gap in geode
    .fixed the water in elevator acting more like floor.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Agree that the map is huge, but even more importantly is that the rooms themselves are gigantic. A big map is one thing, but rooms this big couple with that fact to make it look even bigger.

I feel like you could make it 75% its current size and still have it play nice and roomily.
    Calego wrote: »
    Agree that the map is huge, but even more importantly is that the rooms themselves are gigantic. A big map is one thing, but rooms this big couple with that fact to make it look even bigger.

I feel like you could make it 75% its current size and still have it play nice and roomily.

i might make a smaller version of the map at a later date
    As I understand it, it is this large to support 40+ players?