Update 290 Released - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited March 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpdate 290 Released - Natural Selection 2

Hi everyone! A new Natural Selection 2 update has been released on Steam. This is a small update, and contains some tweaks to the tutorial and some great community contributed...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Posting for comments!
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Anyone working on a fixed demo recording system? ( i know it's not a priority)

some gripes, resolution that the demo was recorded in screwing with mouse cursor/crosshair location, when playing back it looks like you are walking into walls when you aren't because the position of the mouse isn't accurately recorded.

playback is dependent on FPS, so if i was to playback with less then 60fps it will slow the playback down(frustrating when trying to record a video)

no pause function properly implemented (have to minimise to pause demo) can't seek the demo to a specific location, can't fast-forward etc.

clicking esc while playing a demo redplugs you while in the demo letting you run around in a redplugged demo, have to restart the game(not that much of an issue if you're just playing one) (thought it was funny because if you kill someone an instantly press esc you can see the flow of bullets including a freeze frame of all around the vicinity.

Nice to see some other maps being updated, thanks Zavaro :D and thanks Salads for updating the tools a little.
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    The game has a demo recording system!? How it works?
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    navazka wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happened to NS2+ (it's no longer available on any server) and when it's going to be fixed?

I completely forgot how uncomfortable the vanilla game is and I'd really like to go back to playing the NS2+ version. It's mostly small annoyances, but there are so many of them and they are so frequent that it really discourages me from playing the vanilla version (for example C map does not work as a toggle -- that drives me completely crazy; alien vision state is not remembered -- I always forget about it and then realize at the worst moment; there are no after-death and after-round stats -- removes a lot of game feedback and satisfaction; the UI cannot be configured that well; etc etc).

http://ns2news.org/last-minute-news-deletion-of-compmod-ns2-more/
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @nizb0ag @NovoRei please make a separate thread for that suggestion, @navaska the author removed it from the workshop for various reasons, but it will hopefully be back up soon.

Please keep this thread for discussion about patch 290 and its contents.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Great job UWE. Thank you. :)
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thank you for the fixes!! Onwards and upwards!
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    It looks like the fps drops others mentioned before finally reached me with this build.
    Before build 290 constant 180 fps, now they going down to 130 in non crowded areas on an 18 slot server for a short time.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Tutorial voice overs much needed! Nice one!
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @zavaro do we know if there is a reason that small vent underground in crew quarters on descent is so shallow and could it be lowered?

Really think it's silly getting chewed on or onos gored or lerk spiked or spotted in general while under there.

cheers to pdt.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited March 2016
    dePARA- Make sure you didn't change anything recently like fov/resolution or something that could be causing less fps in game. Also, was it a ns2+ setting that you had on before that you don't have access to now?
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    2cough wrote: »
    @zavaro do we know if there is a reason that small vent underground in crew quarters on descent is so shallow and could it be lowered?

Really think it's silly getting chewed on or onos gored or lerk spiked or spotted in general while under there.

cheers to pdt.

Probably to allow marines to jump out of it on the edges. That said, I'll do some tests and see what's best. I do agree, it's dumb. Same thing can happen underneath Logistics (which I've never liked), and several other annoying areas, but it'd be a lot of work and might affect balance in a negative way. Again, I'll test it out.

I think what's much worse is being able to see those marines/aliens on the minimap under there, but that's more a programming thing.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Locklear wrote: »

*in tutorial voice* thank you!

If it's his I gotta play it again
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Beiges voice is in the tutorial now. Its not as shocking as the intro video though.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @zavaro, thank you sir. I was just thinking how the vents under system waypointing don't do this, so maybe there's a happy medium. I trust your skillllllz.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nordic wrote: »

Beiges voice is in the tutorial now. Its not as shocking as the intro video though.

awwwwwwww :(
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    Nice Tutorial voice @BeigeAlert :smiley:
    Like it...
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Played ns2_refinery tonight. Every death was with cause. It was glorious.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    posting here rather then PM because no one even looks at there PM box, and i hate looking for information on google to find the information not in the thread, you should too.
    NovoRei wrote: »
    The game has a demo recording system!? How it works?

1.Start NS, you have to be in the main-menu to initiate recording for NS2, you cannot start a demo from in-game.
    2.Access your console by pressing: `
    3.type in: record demoname
    4.The game will stop recording

your demo file will be located in

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2

to play back, type in console ` play demoname

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    ^
    And keep in mind that the demo file is an interpolated mess of a view between the server and the client. So everyone would seems like they're missing constantly, exaggerated by how high the ping was for each player
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    @Obraxis there is no info ingame in main menu for this btw.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thanks @ChrisStark I've poked the powers that be.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Any plans to fix the server browser scrambling the servers while it populates? That little bug had made it extremely hard to keep an eye on multiple full servers for a spot to open up..

Also any rough estimate when hive2.0 might finally be done?
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Thanks @ChrisStark I've poked the powers that be.
    You're welcome! I'm always glad when I can help. Even if it's such a little piece.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited March 2016
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Also any rough estimate when hive2.0 might finally be done?

We still want to finish Hive 2.0 but the current progress has been delayed for the time being.