What are you doing about the mod situation UWE?

tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
Well?
NS2 comp is in a coma.

Every wednesday and sunday we have around 25-40 people play ns2 comp within TAW. Collectively our members would count for thousands of dollars in revenue over the years through DLC and supporting the worldcup and reinforcement programs.

Last sunday it was almost unplayable without the valuable mods and bug fixes created for FREE by community members. (Which you don't seem to care about, at all, judging by the lack of public response)

Tonight we are faced with another struggle with vanilla ns2. But why should we bother?

As most of us simply love to play ns2 and maybe took the work by community members for granted over the last year, what should our position now be?

What are YOU (UWE/PDT) saying and doing about the upset?

What do i tell our community members? Can we get reassurance that you care about our playerbase? Is it time for competitive ns2 players to move on?

As i said, most of us really have no idea what is going on and it would be nice to hear from you and not from the grape vine...

Comments

• bs_bs_ Join Date: 2014-04-08 Member: 195245Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Comp games and gathers have stopped, and I'm not sure if they have even noticed, or even care. I'd be estatic to hear a statement saying they were aware and were working on a resolution.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    They are achieving quality assurance by killing developers, obviously.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited March 2016
    Some kind of statement or explanation would be nice. I still can't figure out what started all this drama to begin with..

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-I-O-N. please!
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited March 2016
    Funny thing is how apparently part of this whole thing is because mendasp and Dragon are upset about lack of communication from UWE..

That's why they've both come on here explaining the situation from their point of view... Oh wait, they haven't.

So they're mad at UWE for not communicating.. While they themselves don't communicate either...
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    Funny thing is how apparently part of this whole thing is because mendasp and Dragon are upset about lack of communication from UWE..

That's why they've both come on here explaining the situation from their point of view... Oh wait, they haven't.

So they're mad at UWE for not communicating.. While they themselves don't communicate either...

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2274089/#Comment_2274089

• bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    For those who didn't see it - I highly recommend that you watch wasabi's response on Schu's stream over the weekend:

https://www.twitch.tv/schustor/v/52608949

He mentions a few key points about addressing the current issues at hand. He also mentions that he was just leaving for holidays, so it's unfortunate timing.

I think we need to give them a bit more time to digest all of this and formulate a response before we start making new threads daily, especially when other threads have covered it.

Cool heads guys - let's meet them halfway.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited March 2016
    MoFo1 wrote: »

Most problems boil down to bad communication. NS2's are no exception. Sadly, no one with the power to fix this seems to have realized or care.

edit: Also I think the problem is mainly lack of communication from UWE. Not that they're the only ones at fault, though.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    bonage wrote: »
    For those who didn't see it - I highly recommend that you watch wasabi's response on Schu's stream over the weekend:

https://www.twitch.tv/schustor/v/52608949

He mentions a few key points about addressing the current issues at hand. He also mentions that he was just leaving for holidays, so it's unfortunate timing.

I think we need to give them a bit more time to digest all of this and formulate a response before we start making new threads daily, especially when other threads have covered it.

Cool heads guys - let's meet them halfway.
    In addition to this. I just want to point out that, this whole drama really blew up during the weekend. We can't reasonably expect UWE to address this outside their work hours. So while it may feel like it's been a whole week (5-6 days) of silence from uwe, reasonably it has only been 48 hours, assuming they got together first thing monday morning..

So yea, give it a second guys.. Let them negotiate. Even if you don't trust uwe, I'm sure we can expect dragon and mendasp to tell us when there's something to know..
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    as just a normal taw member, let me disagree with my fellow taw OP. :)

Im with what @SantaClaws says
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    disagree with what?
    There is literally nothing to disagree with...
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hey at least now no one can say that "UWE caters to the comp community" anymore!

If they did, CompMod wouldn't have been a thing, and this whole situation would be resolved by now!

#SilverLining
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    No, it will still be a thing. People will still ignorantly say they cater to the comp community. A lot of pub players were in an uproar when only a few things from comp mod were included in vanilla. I bet they will come back given the right circumstances. I would not even be surprised if this whole event was cited as an example of how the devs cater to the comp community.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    That they dont announce everything on the forums in the early stages does not mean they are not communicating anything. id argue the modders need to be happy first.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Guys we're in active discussions right now. When we have something to say we will.

Well, this is a communication.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    As a modder, I know it is impossible to make us happy. UWE should be aiming for no more than slightly cheesed off. That is achievable.
  • RysskRyssk Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175441Members
    edited March 2016
    Thank god there is a game called Days of War, that's currently in Kickstarter, and the devs on discord actually listens to the community with implementing some adjustments that is being discussed within the community!

So @Obraxis you guys say that you're taking actions right now with the discussions? Why hasnt it been done earlier? Why did you rely on somebody for that long without even taking hints and notes from @xDragon . Like he said earlier, he's been trying to get his voice heard, but was ignored several times. So the only way to get his voice heard was trough taking down the mod, and get the whole community even more irritated? Why arent you guys recruiting a community manager? When the studio clearly needs one from several occasions?

And when can we expect a course of action from UWE's side regarding this matter? "When we have something to say we will." aint just good enough as a current info. This is also a reason why UWE SHOULD have a community manager.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016
    Over the last week the hole situation reminded my of a old thread by @DC_Darkling that describes the current situation as well as it did back in in December 2013 : http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133661/community-manager-s/p1 .

Everyone should read at least the first page of given thread to understand how old the underlying issues actually are and the reasons why they are so hard to solve.

We are currently working on resolving some of those issues and you will hear from us about it in a few days.
    edited March 2016
    Over the last week the hole situation reminded my of a old thread by @DC_Darkling that describes the current situation as well as it did back in in December 2013 : http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133661/community-manager-s/p1 .

Everyone should read at least the first page of given thread to understand how old the underlying issues actually are and the reasons why they are so hard to solve.

We are currently working on resolving some of those issues and you will hear from us about it in a few days.

This would be perfect as there are already a few candidates that would fit this role perfectly providing they would want to do it, that said, a budget to justify the vacancy would have to exist beforehand which to my understanding is just not there at the moment.

Community Manager would help alot between easing the relations between Developers - Community but good wills and gestures only work so far without money.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Community Manager would help alot between easing the relations between Developers - Community but good wills and gestures only work so far without money.

If there are people willing enough to code the game for free, mod the game for free, run servers out of their own pocket, run a competitive scene out of their own pocket/time; there will be people willing to do this job for free.

NS2 is such a niche game and the community is fiercely passionate, good will and gestures go a very very long way without money.
    edited March 2016
    Wob wrote: »

If there are people willing enough to code the game for free, mod the game for free, run servers out of their own pocket, run a competitive scene out of their own pocket/time; there will be people willing to do this job for free.

NS2 is such a niche game and the community is fiercely passionate, good will and gestures go a very very long way without money.

You do realise CM is practically a full time job? Why don't you apply then.

http://www.indeed.co.uk/Online-Community-Manager-jobs

http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSeeking/(Community Manager).html

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/jobs/by-category/community-management

You get the idea already.

Right what we're pretty much asking is for a person to be a bridge between the CDT and the Community. Not for merch,advertising or anything like that. Just an communication pillar.
    Ryssk wrote: »

Right what we're pretty much asking is for a person to be a bridge between the CDT and the Community. Not for merch,advertising or anything like that. Just an communication pillar.

I don't think you realise how much work it would be, if it was that easy it would of been done back in '13

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133661/community-manager-s/p1

See blinds comment in particular

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2175899/#Comment_2175899
    edited March 2016
    And thank you for the reply @Obraxis . But it's sad to see that UWE and the CDT doesnt have the same set of minds from beginning. All the "enviroment/visual" effects people dont care that much about, i could bet my right nutcracker that the most people play the game with most of the settings on LOW. Cause the engine is just hard to sustain 144 fps at high quality.

To see also that UWE didnt want to start with balancing, when they had the most support to do so is just even more sad.

But the "As I have said before, we're quite easy to contact. If it's something important, a PM or email is all that's needed to get our attention as many of you have done every day of the year. Sometimes we miss posts in Discord as we're working, but we try to keep on top of things as much as possible. We're only human, after all."

From what @xDragon said before, it's not only one time he's been trying to reach out to the developers, but on several occasions (how many i'm not aware of, cause im no friend with dragon)

That is the reason why i say there should be a CM.. Working as a bridge between the Studio/CDT together with the Community. And if that person isnt being heard, well man... then we're destined to having posts like these each and every 6 months : )

And btw, can someone remove my jailthingy on my avatar? i feel like an refugee in a foreign country!
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Ryssk wrote: »
    And thank you for the reply @Obraxis . But it's sad to see that UWE and the CDT doesnt have the same set of minds from beginning. All the "enviroment/visual" effects people dont care that much about, i could bet my right nutcracker that the most people play the game with most of the settings on LOW. Cause the engine is just hard to sustain 144 fps at high quality.

@Obraxis just told you that they had targets to meet that were set by UW. I'm 99% sure one of those targets was 'make X mount of USD'. There is no easier/faster way than doing it the way they did. But to do that, they had to take a large amount of time to implement the entire economy/market thingi and the items, then designing everything, implementing it, making sure it doesn't impact performance too much, testing it again and rolling it out. And they still managed to do some other stuff.

I wish it would've been clearer before that they were hired to meet some targets in the first phase, because that would've explained a few things that later let to people getting bitchy about bugs not fixed and two people taking their mods offline.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    tuxator wrote: »
    I'm 99% sure one of those targets was 'make X mount of USD'.

Can you show me where you read this?
    Foxy wrote: »
    tuxator wrote: »
    I'm 99% sure one of those targets was 'make X mount of USD'.

Can you show me where you read this?

Was just going to quote the same, where and when did you find out this information? I know that the UWE wanted to get more money in, and keep on sustaining the current players. But 99% of those target would just send the wrong idea.. It's like saying "We're a money machine, all the money that comes from NS2 will go straight into Subnautica" which may be partly true, but they would NEVER post anything like that :P
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Dudes, not that I'm in the know, but if anything Subnautica Early Access is financing Natural Selection 2 Dev Team right now, not the other way around.
This discussion has been closed.