Weekly In-Game Gamemode Mod spotlights?

GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
edited March 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
The Last Stand Spotlight just ended. One question now is how often you would like to see such spotlights?

Feel free to comment and thanks to everyone participating in this anonymous pool.

Edit:
Spotlights would be enabled from early friday to early monday.

Potential spotlight candidates at the moment are (if they stay playable): NS2:Assault, Fade Challenge, GunGames, Skulks with Shotguns, Faded, NS2:Classic, NS2:Turbo and Last Stand

Comments

• AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    edited March 2016
    I'm okay with all the options. My concern is whether we have enough game mode mods around, and if not, how often we repeat them. If we're going to be repeating the mods, I think a longer period per mod would be better. Or perhaps we could feature maps as well?

*Full disclaimer: I did not play any of the spotlights and only noticed it once because I usually join off steam friends instead of launching the game.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Every week or two weeks, it's fun and does well to raise awareness of other mods.

Just make sure the mods are in a decent enough condition so people aren't discouraged to try them every week.
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Honestly, if we rotate them if there aren't enough mods, then I don't see the issue. Seeing LS or Faded every two months or so would be pretty cool, and raise awareness of cool new modes for noobs and otherwise. It'd act as sort of a NS2-wide game night for everyone, which I think is great.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2016
    I added a list of potential candidates to the opening post. Of course only game mode mods that are playable and somewhat polished will become a spotlight.

The spotlights would be only enabled from friday to monday.

And yes we could expand this to spotlight custom maps in case we really run out of enough game modes to have a large enough variation inside the spotlight rotation.
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    Every weekend, friday to sunday ?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think you should use those fancy new analytic and graph the playercounts of last stand starting from when it was highlighted. It had to have a high playcount then. Now when does the player count drop off? That is about how long you should switch mods.

I think in this case, it is better to switch too soon than too late. I would rather people be excited last stand is back, as compared to another mod has been highlighted.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Nordic wrote: »
    I think you should use those fancy new analytic and graph the playercounts of last stand starting from when it was highlighted. It had to have a high playcount then. Now when does the player count drop off? That is about how long you should switch mods.

I think in this case, it is better to switch too soon than too late. I would rather people be excited last stand is back, as compared to another mod has been highlighted.

Assuming the dropoff is like 3 days, Too high of a churn might have a negative effect, especially since we'd resort to cycling through them sooner than later. Better to have this as a periodic "Hey, try this other thing" rather than a constant "HEY TRY THIS, NOW TRY THIS, NOW TRY THIS".
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Calego wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »

Assuming the dropoff is like 3 days, Too high of a churn might have a negative effect, especially since we'd resort to cycling through them sooner than later. Better to have this as a periodic "Hey, try this other thing" rather than a constant "HEY TRY THIS, NOW TRY THIS, NOW TRY THIS".

If it was 3 days, I would make it 1 week. If it was 8 days, I would make it 1 week. If it was 12 days, I would make it 2 weeks.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    I believe 2 weeks at least. How many active mods are there now with the level of polish to get coverage?

Last Stand
    Last Resistance
    Faded
    Fade Challenge
    GunGame

Anything else?

xDragon pulled his mods, Scatter is not currently updating mods, so there are a few problems. None of mine are working. I think siege got pulled, MvM & SWS are not currently working properly.

Are there any more mods at the required level to be featured in this? Assuming we are only talking gameplay mods that is.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I believe 2 weeks at least. How many active mods are there now with the level of polish to get coverage?

Last Stand
    Last Resistance
    Faded
    Fade Challenge
    GunGame

Anything else?

xDragon pulled his mods, Scatter is not currently updating mods, so there are a few problems. None of mine are working. I think siege got pulled, MvM & SWS are not currently working properly.

Are there any more mods at the required level to be featured in this? Assuming we are only talking gameplay mods that is.

Don't forget skulks with shotguns.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    That would be SWS in my list, which if I recall from our games the other week isn't quite working correctly.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    We could also do a weekend (3 day?) spotlight for quality map, skin and crosshair mods. I mean there's a ton of content on the workshop

bi-weekly seems the best one in terms of timespan for the game mode mods...
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    edited March 2016
    I loved Last Stand, it helped me quickly iterate on Lerk lives so I could have a chance to get meaningful practice in. I also noticed that people were far less ragey at one another "You're not listening!" "You're bad at the game!" etc which was nice as well. Without the spotlight I would never have tried these game modes so I'd be OK with them every week or every other week.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Sgt_Sass wrote: »
    I loved Last Stand, it helped me quickly iterate on Lerk lives so I could have a chance to get meaningful practice in. I also noticed that people were far less ragey at one another "You're not listening!" "You're bad at the game!" etc which was nice as well. Without the spotlight I would never have tried these game modes so I'd be OK with them every week or every other week.

Ah the nonragy atmosphere of a no attachment DropinDropout gamemode. Lifeforms aren't expensive as in FREE also helps, however perhaps the only downside to that might be that flashing isn't punished as it is in NS2 (inconsistency). But it does show you, how easy it is to flash so perhaps that negates it...
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Not 100% sure, but I think SWS only had issues when we also had NS2+ running.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Not 100% sure, but I think SWS only had issues when we also had NS2+ running.

So now is the time to play it LOOL.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2016
    - SWS is broken since ~b279, Error log can be found here @Flaterectomy
    - Never heard of the Last Resistance Modder anymore. Mod is so broken that it would need a lot of time making it work again.
    - GunGame interesting but not working on dedicated servers yet.
    - NS2:Assault = broken.
    - Defence, new Game Mode by Katzenfleisch and Phoenix. Very interesting game mode but Bots will kill Server Performance currently

Means we have The Faded, Last Stand and Fade Challenge (Havn't tested yet). 3 Gamemodes that will be cycled every 1 or 2 weeks? Thats definitely too much. I would recommend one time per month maximal.

Also if you continue with Spotlight then you also have to involve Siege regardless what experience you made with the modder.
  • IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    With the limited amount of time, and part time ns2 development, I'd much rather see you do something else :)
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    edited March 2016
    SWS still works without other mods but only on some map. So you can perfectly make a spotlight of it.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Monthly rotation, anything less is too short, by the time you've refined your understanding of the game mode & mechanics your attention is shifted to another mod.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Classic is one of xDragons mods, hence no longer available.
    @wooza Do you still get those errors when you turn off all other mods except shine?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Classic was cool and it also had a Combat mode built in, I hope it gets the attention it deserves. If both sides are willing of course.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    It's still available fool, Dragon didn't take that one down. Do you even think first or second
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    As long as the mod runs and works.. sure, why not.
    Frozen wrote: »
    It's still available fool, Dragon didn't take that one down. Do you even think first or second

Unless you are Mr T. I think you maybe got a little over excited, or is straight up hate the way you want to play. I'm up for some fun :D
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited July 2016
    I am okay so far with one spotlight every two weeks and am able to make the mod I support running with the next build as well for that. I gave defense mod most of my time (if not all) the past weeks and it's now a lot better in performance and gameplay so it is ready to leave the beta stage for that if needed. (sorry for thread necro, checked that after the post)
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited July 2016
    I would love to see a spotlight mod every week, but I don't think there would be enough quality mods for this campaign to last a long time...