'AURORA FALLS' - A Subnautica story.

Comments

• ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Wait? JUNO Prime? Isn't that the core that was in the Aurora or is that just her last name or is it supposed to say; "JUNO, prime and commence flight systems"?
    I am over analyzing this aren't I...
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Wait? JUNO Prime? Isn't that the core that was in the Aurora or is that just her last name or is it supposed to say; "JUNO, prime and commence flight systems"?
    I am over analyzing this aren't I...

Juno Prime definitely is Optimus's sis!
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    There are now two active JUNO constructs. JUNO Prime has precedence over the one commanding the beacon ship, although she has been renamed 'Bifrost Actual' to further minimise confusion.

The next page to be posted will explain this.
    edited February 2016
    "Bifrost Actual, you now have full control of all onboard systems. Please confirm." JUNO said curtly.

"Bifrost Actual responding. Orbital insertion manoeuvre will commence at T plus thirty minutes. All onboard systems are nominal. Current velocity is twelve point two kilometres per second, altitude eighty-five kilometres and ten kilometres down-range. Acceleration is constant at one gee. Vehicle flight profile remains within accepted design parameters."

"JUNO Prime concurs. Bifrost Actual, you are cleared to execute OI manoeuvre."

"Bifrost Actual, this is Alexander Selkirk. Just letting you know that I wish you godspeed. Be safe."

"Thank you, Captain. Your concern and best wishes are greatly appreciated. Please rest assured that I shall do my utmost in order to complete this mission successfully."

"Thank you, Bifrost Actual. There was never any doubt of your ability to do so." I said.

"Acknowledged, Captain. Commencing test transmission of distress signal."

This was the money shot. I had prepared a message loop outlining the situation here on Manannán, including as much relevant information as I was able to gather. A second data packet contained a detailed analysis of the planet's life forms, geology and weather patterns. I wisely decided not to include any of my personal accounts and observations. Apart from clouding the issue unnecessarily, I felt that certain aspects of my performance as a serving Alterra officer might be considered...
    Conduct unbecoming.

There's no way of telling how the minds of Suits work. By my own account I had fared reasonably well, considering the series of events following the Aurora incident. However, there was a justified level of suspicion that persisted in planting niggling little doubts as to how this tale of survival might be received back at Alterra H.Q.

Here it goes. Fingers crossed.

"Mayday, mayday, mayday. This is the automated distress beacon of TSS Aurora, registration number ATC 0558. Ship was lost with all hands save one, Day 266, 2171 C.E, UTC Sol III. Current mission date is Day 437, adjusted for local solar ephemeris. Engineering Officer Third Class, Alexander Selkirk reporting. TSS Aurora was attacked and destroyed while making final approach to planet 4546B, Alpha Hydrae 4. Any responding vessels are strongly advised to approach this star system with extreme caution. Disengage your Alcubierre warp drive field prior to crossing the heliopause or you will be attacked by a presumably hostile force, location unknown. Refer to secondary data packet attached to this message for additional information. This transmission will repeat in five minutes."

I felt that although the phrasing was clumsy ("attacked by a presumably hostile force"), I conjured it was the best I could do to convince any would-be rescuers to prevent any fingers from straying towards Big Red Buttons while charging to my salvation. To be entirely honest, I had sufficient reason to suspect that Alterra would simply send down a platoon or two of trigger-happy Jarheads for an outrageously hot and noisy extraction. All things considered, that would be a cosmically bad idea. The only comfort offered by this scenario was that someone from the rescue party might survive their first contact with the insane level of dookie Manannán was prepared to throw at them.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Loved the message! Just sent shivers down my spine!
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    edited February 2016
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    To be entirely honest, I had sufficient reason to suspect that Alterra would simply send down a platoon or two of trigger-happy Jarheads for an outrageously hot and noisy extraction. All things considered, that would be a cosmically bad idea.

I think this is my favorite part of the story so far, it captures perfectly how people respond in situations like this. This should be fun :3
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    I think this is my favorite part of the story so far, it captures perfectly how people respond in situations like this. This should be fun :3

An usually, trigger-happy jarheads appear at the time just when you were about to convince the locals that you acually did come in peace...

• GoochinatorGoochinator America Join Date: 2016-01-07 Member: 211040Members
    In so sad that his tea was tea rather than something almost, but not quite exactly unlike tea.
    In so sad that his tea was tea rather than something almost, but not quite exactly unlike tea.

Sirius Cybernetics Corporation had absolutely no involvement with the design of Selkirk's galley unit. ;)

In case you're wondering, The Answer is still "42".
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    I don't get 'Ripleys'....... am I being dense?
    'Ripleys' are bipedal power loaders. Autonomous robotic forklifts.

The reference is from the film 'Aliens'. Lieutenant Ellen Ripley used something similar to fight and defeat a Xenomorph Queen.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    OK, my nerd failings have outed me..... :worried:
  • pocketmunchkinpocketmunchkin USA Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213480Members
    I made an account JUST to be able to read and comment on this story. I have to say "wow" first because it's amazing so far.

I'd be sorely disappointed if this story isn't included in the subnautica lore.
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    U know Bug; they should let you be a dev (Lore anyway) ;)
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    U know Bug; they should let you be a dev (Lore anyway) ;)

I quoted myself, coz why not?
    No! You must stop terran influence on this beautiful planet! Make a pact with the local intelligent inhabitants that they will fight any advancement to destroy the planet, Avatar style! If you are able to get him off the planet but save the planet as well that would be awesome!
    No! You must stop terran influence on this beautiful planet! Make a pact with the local intelligent inhabitants that they will fight any advancement to destroy the planet, Avatar style! If you are able to get him off the planet but save the planet as well that would be awesome!

I was thinking more along the lines of para-dropping a couple of hundred thousand Yuppies (who have developed an environmental conscience for tax purposes) and some A-List 'celebrities' to form a human chain around the planet.

Bono's Tenth Clone will gob off relentlessly on every 3V channel until Alterra sincerely promises not to sneak in and strip mine Alpha Hydrae IV as soon as the news cameras are turned off.
  • Obnoxious_GamerObnoxious_Gamer Cyclops Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210938Members

I was thinking more along the lines of para-dropping a couple of hundred thousand Yuppies (who have developed an environmental conscience for tax purposes) and some A-List 'celebrities' to form a human chain around the planet.

Bono's Tenth Clone will gob off relentlessly on every 3V channel until Alterra sincerely promises not to sneak in and strip mine Alpha Hydrae IV as soon as the news cameras are turned off.

And then they'll write a song about the environment that, while popular for a short time, will eventually be recognized for the garbage it is.
  • TechMasterAllenTechMasterAllen Join Date: 2015-06-28 Member: 205844Members
    I have been reading this story for a while. After a bunch at the beginning had been published I found it, and from then I've been keeping up with it because this is an amazing story.
  • ApocDanApocDan Australia Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213626Members
    edited March 2016

Zed-Zed Nine, Plural Zed Alpha.

The Douglas Adams is strong with this one. Though be careful that your authentication code doesn't get destroyed by a fleet of Vogon constructors to make way for a hyperspace express way.

Keep up the awesome work
    I love your story! I've been here since the first post and I always can't wait for the next post to see this amazing story unfold!
    IANTO is a cool name, where/how do you come up with these names for everything?
    edited March 2016
    IANTO is a cool name, where/how do you come up with these names for everything?

Well, there's a hidden pop-culture reference in there ... ;)

Ianto is a traditional Welsh male first name. Its English equivalent is 'John', incidentally.

Acronyms are pretty easy to devise. All you need is a basic function to describe, and the first letters can be juggled around to suit. I figure science fiction would suffer badly if acronyms were declared illegal. Farewell FTL, for starters.