Reaching the Lava Castle

SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
So I've seen it asked before how to reach the Lava Castle, and I thought I'd leave a little guide here, for those that don't want to just warp to it. Putting it in spoiler tags for those that would rather not see. All coordinates are to the nearest 10. A compass is handy to have, in addition to the usual supplies you'll want if playing in survival/hardcore.
Step 1: Head to the Deep Grand Reef, and descend to the cavern entrance at -370, -560, -890.
Step 2: Head East through the cavern, staying to the left side so you can see the left wall. The ambient light is red. If you have the F1 screen up, biome is "ILZ Corridor"
Step 3: Your course will turn North at 120, -720, -730. Continue to hug the left wall. The ambient light will change from a red tint to pitch black, although you may get flashes of other lighting based on whatever biome is above you at the surface.
Step 4: Your course will turn West at 112, -1010, -115. You are now entering the "ILZ Chamber" biome. You cannot safely sail the cyclops into the chamber without use of the terraformer (or future release of better pressure compensators). The seamoth will clear the ceiling. Once inside the chamber, the ceiling is flat and at about 970 meters.
Step 5: The Lava Castle is found at -360, -1050, 110. There is a signal that can be found in the supply crates near the Aurora that will mark approximately this point. This is near the top of one of the tallest spires. The structure itself is quite large and goes at least a couple hundred meters deeper - I haven't yet explored it thoroughly.

If anyone knows of another way in, I'd be interested to hear it - I've been around the top of the chamber in the seamoth, but never in creative mode, so diving deeper to look for other access points was not an option, nor was having sonar on the moth.

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Nice guide, I'll have to give it a shot at some point. I've been to the inactive lava zone before in search of the lava castle, but found myself in a labyrinth that always seemed to loop me back to where I was. I did pass through a very large chamber so chances are I went past the castle without realizing.
  • okapiroseokapirose Join Date: 2016-01-14 Member: 211395Members
    Went down there in free build mode just to see it. Creepy AF and there's nothing in it yet. Can only imagine how worse (or better lol) its going to be once it become active.
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    Sidchicken, did you do this on experimental or stable?
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited March 2016
    Ok, here is the guide to visit the deepest chamber in hardcore mode. It's a lot of spoilers, so I split it, but nevertheless be warned it spoils a lot. Please stop reading if you want to find the things yourself. Also be warned that these regions are under development and can change.

Part 1 Breaking the limits of below 1000m without cheating and exploiting
    • Pressure: The upgraded seamoth can reach 1025m, the cyclops right now 1000m, the exosuit is not finished and there is no pressure limit for the diving suits right now.
    • O2: Soon the bases and the cyclops need O2 regeneration and the seamoth will no longer have unlimited O2, but not now. O2 can be gained from an exterior growbed full of purple brain corals though, in any depth of the game and there is probably no future limit for that.
    • Heat: The great depth below has still no heat, which lets you swim without getting cooked, but unfortunately you can't power your bases with thermal reactors. Stay nuclear or try a powerless base with farming only.
    • Enemies: There are still no creatures in the deep reef, ILC and beyond, so you can swim as long as you have O2.
    • Terraforming: Still possible, with terraforming or by building a tunnel with base components. Yet probably an exploit.

Your must have personal equipment is the rebreather, 2 HC tanks, the seaglide with batteries, the superglide fins, the builder and welder, as well as food and water. As long as the seamoth has unlimited O2 you don't need to bring the cyclops down. And to get very deep you need a series of support bases to build you a line of O2 down the deep.

Part 2 The starting point to the deep places
    Visit the Floating Isle and position your sub in the bay with the stone bridge leading above. Dive directly downward and at about 200m use the sonar ping to show you the next hole in the bottom leading you into a deep reef cave at about 500m, where you can find three smoking pillars heating the area. Set up a first base with moonpool and thermal plants and you're already neer the ILZ and potential Lost River entry. If you want to go down there with the cyclops you will start at the Floating Isle bay but at 200m search a pillar to go down and find the deep reef smoking pillar cave.

Part 3 Towards the last submarine support base for now
    Now one side of the cave gets deeper towards 600m and to the left side you can find an empty river bed of a future Lost River connection leading againt a wall, while to the right you can spot an active lava part connecting to the ILZ. The right side of the ILZ entrance is best for driving the cyclops through at a later time, although it looks like you can't. Follow the ILZ tunnel that bends to the left and below to a cave that goes from about 800m to 1200m and at the first ledge platform build your last energy base with moonpool, which you can see from far in the dark if you place windows.

Part 4 Drive the cyclops to the castle
    At the cave entrance where you set up the base you have to stay at the left edge and ceiling and follow into the darkness. Best find this route with the seamoth with their floodlights. You need all 4 pressure modules for the seamoth and the cyclops, so no sonar ping. There is a small breakthrough at 1000m to the lava castle cave, which you can find with your seamoth lights in the dark. Place signals around the hole to make the breakthrough visible for the cyclops and navigate the cyclops towards the breakthrough until the depth of 1000m stops you.

Now aim and dive through quickly. For a small time you dive below 1000m until you ascend back above 1000m. Exit the pilot seat, draw the welder and fix all hull breaches in time. Drive the cyclops to the ceiling until exactly above the castle. Then place the seamoth at its limit.

Part 5 Find the inner chamber of the castle
    First you build a powerless base at the top of the castle and use farming or a nuclear reactor. If you exploit you can punch a hole in the castle from the top base by simply building through rock vertically down until you are in the inner chamber. You have to leave all your subs behind for now. If you want to avoid the exploit, then there is an entrance through tunnels leading from the top side towards the inner chamber, but you have a hard time finding it. Remember that shiny base parts and windows can be seen from far in pitch black if you don't use signals, so use them for pathfinding. Take your time and place brain coral farms towards the inner chamber. Set up a base at the inner chamber.

Part 6 Deeper and deeper (under construction)
    Here you must exploit and punch a hole in the bottom, by either building a vertical shaft or terraform downwards. Then you are through and a tunnel to the bottom brings you to a great lava sea at about 1500m. EDIT/under construction: And it goes even deeper, below in some sort of maze where you can find a deep chamber with a depth of 1900m. But that's all under development and changes constantly.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    mndfreeze wrote: »
    Sidchicken, did you do this on experimental or stable?

Hardcore mode, stable build.

• SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    SPIRIN1224 wrote: »
    Pictures?

I put a couple pics of the base I'm building on it in the Seabase Showcase thread. Hopefully there will be more when I get around to expanding it.
    A picture route for the cyclops to the castle
    Start directly downwards hereyklh361jvcjj.jpg
    Passing the pillar to the deep reef caves7dz3tyasczq2.jpg
    The breakthrough to the deep reef at the bottomcp3258sodh4j.jpg
    Turning always right until at ILZ, then stay always leftsor3eehghdqd.jpg
    Breakthrough at the left wall of ILZt8eivmbqdpop.jpg
  • DigicideDigicide UK Join Date: 2016-03-05 Member: 213856Members
    I went down to the Inactive Lava Zone to have a nosey, its VERY creepy, but no castle. Not yet at least :)
    zetachron wrote: »
    A picture route for the cyclops to the castle
    That's the way I went too... I used the terraformer to bust it in, rather than the dive 'n' weld method. Waiting eagerly for the better depth modules.

Digicide wrote: »
    I went down to the Inactive Lava Zone to have a nosey, its VERY creepy, but no castle. Not yet at least :)
    Did you go to the coordinates I listed? There's several ways to get into the ILZ. If you did go to those coords, bear in mind that the "castle" is not a castle in the strict sense - it's a big structure with several tall spires, that vaguely resembles a castle.
  • Error_MackroError_Mackro N Join Date: 2015-07-30 Member: 206541Members
    I'm assuming the middle chamber is where the sea dragon or sea emperor will be for their story stuff?
    BTW Zetachron, that's an interesting suggestion about planting purple brain coral... how long does it take to be useful?
    So I did some exploring in creative mode.
    There is another exit to the chamber located at -540, -1060, 120. This is too deep (obviously) for any of our current vehicles. The tunnel leads to a crater in the Dunes, located at -1115, -375, 1150. I believe it may also connect to the tunnel at the bow of the Aurora. Will check when I have time.
    Did some more exploring in creative.
    The cavern beneath the bow of the Aurora does indeed lead into the ILZ chamber.
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    BTW Zetachron, that's an interesting suggestion about planting purple brain coral... how long does it take to be useful?

It takes a lot of real time minutes until you get air, so you have to do it stepwise, but you can use this to get into any depth without the subs as long as there is no limit for the diving itself.

The advantages:
    • Cheap, no power, only 2 titanium for a bed, getting seeds from the last bed is easy
    • Plenty of air, one bed holds up to 6 brain corals
    • O2 and diving without depth limit
    I'm assuming the middle chamber is where the sea dragon or sea emperor will be for their story stuff?

I doubt it, without spoiling too much, there are enourmous caverns below the ILZ, enough to hold whole armies of sea dragons, but these caves are still under construction, just like the Lost River caves. The caves will probably go to a final depth of about 2000m, where you'll find end game stuff.