Vanilla Draft Tournament(Hosted by ensl.org)

Comments

• YaluzanYaluzan Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186474Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester
    dePARA wrote: »
    To sum things up:
    xDragon has send his questions to the wrong channel, getting no answer (well, he was in the wrong channel) and yelling "noone is answering me, im out".
    After that obraxis posted this in the ensl forum:
    "Let's have clear communication. The questions you've asked deserve answers and although I'm not a programmer, you can either PM any of us on Discord or if you'd like, email me at scott[at]naturalselection2.com and I'll start a discussion with the programmers."

And what is the answer to this?
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/140907/so-the-aids-tourney-end
    And ALOT a drama.
    So instead of investing time to make things clear, you invest time in a useless tournament.
    The only result of this is:
    You lose 2 days and more from now if you continue with the drama instead of doing what Obraxis mentioned.

But its the Devs fault for sure that the modder is sitting in the wrong channel and that you cant play a few days vanilla till things sorted out.

Don't blame random members from the ensl community for all the drama.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Im sure all the drama queens have much more information than me.
    And im sorry that i blame some random members of a mature community.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    the tourney achieved something. rip ns2+ as well.

but yeah... vanilla is so bad. it's no wonder retention is low.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    2cough wrote: »

This is nonsense. There's not a single server out there running vanilla. The amount of player retention by vanilla is completely irrelevant to the playerbase problem.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    2cough wrote: »

This is nonsense. There's not a single server out there running vanilla. The amount of player retention by vanilla is completely irrelevant to the playerbase problem.

well there's no ns2+ at this point so, vanilla it is. and honestly most new players have no idea how to use ns2+ so... vanilla for them.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Im sure all the drama queens have much more information than me.
    And im sorry that i blame some random members of a mature community.

Rofl. I guess the posts on the other thread are invisible to you. dePARA bringing us the insider summary. Quality posting.

Ill be around to play in this hopefully.. i love vanilla ice cream. My favvvv.
    Isnt it in every game that comp players setting everything on low, disabling half of the hud, turning music off etc?
    And isnt it in every game that that the non comp players turning everything on max on the other hand?
    So while the comp players want as much fps as possible the non comp players want as much atmosphere as possible.
    I can understand both sides but prefer fps in an multiplayergame and atmosphere only in singleplayer ones.
  • BirndBirnd Germany Join Date: 2016-02-22 Member: 213321Members
    Whats the "Full Story"?
    Because to an outsider it seems like a bunch of entitled Pretenders who cause Drama on purpose, dont deliver any valid arguments and spread lots of neblous blabla.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You nailed it bucko.
    @joshhh
    What ignorance?

All i said was "calm down and talk with Obraxis to find a solution" while i tried to explain the situation in short for people outside the ensl.
    But it looks like the typical ensl drama found a way into the official forum finally and the "UWE is killing NS2" fraction is dancing around an open grave. ("Yesss, finally. After 3 years im right. I knew it all the time. Hurrrayyy"

Continue the drama while the solution should be available early next week is what i call ignorant.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The bit about "after 3 years I'm right" made me chuckle. Remembering back to 2004's loud claims that "NS is dying", that's spot-on.
  • TyrwingTyrwing Sweden Join Date: 2015-11-23 Member: 209435Members
    Birnd wrote: »
    Whats the "Full Story"?
    Because to an outsider it seems like a bunch of entitled Pretenders who cause Drama on purpose, dont deliver any valid arguments and spread lots of neblous blabla.

"Every time UWE patches the game, all mods have to be updated to that patch. The bigger the mod is, the more labor you have to put in for upkeep. The more mods, the more upkeep. The bigger the patch, the more things break in you mod -> the more upkeep etc. etc. etc.
    Now, UWE in conjunction with their move to employ the PDT (Payed development team), they also announced their "rapid iteration" idea. This was a move to allow UWE to patch NS2, basically as often as they want. But given the above, that is obviously going to mean even more upkeep for the modders.
    Now for a few people, like Dragon and Mendasp, who have been huge contributors to NS2 with their mods and active members of the CDT (community development team); On top of all the extra upkeep they have to do with their mods for free, they also got the slap in the face, that they were not invited in the PDT, in spite of their unparalleled contributions to the community.
    Couple all of that drama, and add in that some of these community members have accused UWE of outright ignoring their questions, has really made the shit hit the fan."

Quoted from the ns2 reddit. I think the wording is better than mine.
    Its just not true that a patch break all mods.
    So instead of making a comp mod shine plugin wich wont break after a patch, xDragon stick with his kinda buggy mod and had to fix it after every patch the last 1,5 years.
    Well, this makes you kinda important cause all the comp players have to wait only for you to fix things after a patch.
    I dont want to attack xDragon in any way here and im not programmer but i never understood the intention why he never made a shine-plugin.

After the new dev team released multiple patches the last weeks, it seems XDragon had enough.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited March 2016
    Its just not true that a patch break all mods.
    So instead of making a comp mod shine plugin wich wont break after a patch, xDragon stick with his kinda buggy mod and had to fix it after every patch the last 1,5 years.
    Well, this makes you kinda important cause all the comp players have to wait only for you to fix things after a patch.
    I dont want to attack xDragon in any way here and im not programmer but i never understood the intention why he never made a shine-plugin.

After the new dev team released multiple patches the last weeks, it seems XDragon had enough.

It's not like they didn't explain to everyone that releasing multiple patches in a short time window was EXACTLY the goal of the new dev team.

Anyway, the balance features of comp mod probably can't be done in a patch friendly way. NSL mod probably should be workable though, or at least a large part of it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Wyzcrak wrote: »
    The bit about "after 3 years I'm right" made me chuckle. Remembering back to 2004's loud claims that "NS is dying", that's spot-on.

Natural Selection, Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

images.jpg
    edited March 2016
    This thread just keeps getting better and better.

Guise this is my perspective of what happened.. I swear I saw it all!

God damn pretenders and their shitty buggy mods. Stupid evil comp players, why do you always complain!!!!!
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Can someone elaborate on what the heck is going on here?
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    From what I've gathered... It has to do with money...work...and respect. Mostly that last one IMO.

This isn't vanilla though. JS.

Vanilla is what you should be using to describe NS2 before reinforcement or gorgeous. JS JS.
  • YaluzanYaluzan Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186474Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester
    FYI, rest of the tournament is canceled, no real use going into playoffs with 3/5 teams left.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Yaluzan wrote: »
    FYI, rest of the tournament is canceled, no real use going into playoffs with 3/5 teams left.

Team Mikan wins. You heard it here first!
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Doesn't playoffs, by definition, mean that only some teams are left?

Server browser showed a surprisingly high count of full game servers last night. Did this tournament contribute to that, or was that all casual gameplay?
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    The tournament and Schu brought awareness to NS2 or maybe it was just a high player count night. Or maybe people were waiting for those mods to be deleted so they could finally play ns2 again, just maybe.
    I guess it's also possible that it's related to the many recent releases. All other things being equal, folks pay more attention to a game that's updating more often.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    Yes I think constant updates make a game more interesting, good time for balance changes.
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    I heard about a vanilla tournament on a random server's voice comms and got all excited - maybe this would be my opportunity to give the competitive scene in this game a try. Then I come here and get all my hopes and dreams destroyed. Bummertown, USA.
    They'll have another one soon (vanilla, maybe?). The next one won't be impulsively created, and it won't be canceled halfway.