Egg Locations - A Guide

FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
These are all the eggs I have found so far, and the locations I've found them. If you've found other eggs, or locations, please post them and I will update the list. If you're willing, you could also submit a screen shot with F1 toggled 'on' so we can see the coordinates.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed already!!

*This info is as of the February 2016 build, I will update if it changes*

• Spadefish - Captivity
    I don't know if this is intended or a bug, but these only seem to spawn if you put two Spadefish in a large Aquarium together. I have not been able to find any in the wild.
  • Rabbit Ray - Safe Shallows
    Smaller then other eggs, just a bit bigger than softballs. Easy to miss, but tend to be close to the shallowest part of Safe Shallows (thanks @Requiemfang for the correction)
    liiQI1.jpg
    Safe Shallows: -152, -12, -14
  • Gasopod - Safe Shallows
    Do not spawn in abundance it seems, but can be found around the edges of Safe Shallows
    XhHfU0.jpg
    Safe Shallows: 119, -68, 134
  • Stalker - Kelp Forest
    Possibly the easiest egg to spot, especially at night, as they give off a mild glow
    36trN6.jpg
    Kelp Forest: -133, -46, 234
  • Sand Shark - Grassy Plateaus
    Always hidden among the red grass
    caoYtZ.jpg
    Grassy Plateaus: 290, -98, 126
  • Bone Shark - Koosh Zone, Underwater Islands, Mushroom Forest (thanks @Ergoss)
    You'll find these in grassy areas as well, best if searched during the day
    5cgoNT.jpg
    Koosh Zone: 1233, -220, 657
  • Shocker - Koosh Zone, Blood Kelp Caves / Zone
    Tend to find these around the largest Koosh plants
    yJ4BSM.jpg
    Koosh Zone: 965, -218, 693
  • Jellyray - Mushroom Forest, Grand Reef
    No special trick to these, they are just lying about
    H4PJXD.jpg
    Mushroom Forest: 688, -179, 395

Eggs I have not found yet (but are presumed to exist), and the places I've looked so far:
  • Mesmer -
  • Crab Snake - Jelly Shroom Caves
  • Reefback - Grassy Plateaus
    *Can only be had via Console Commands as far as I know. F3 --> Enable Console --> "item reefbackegg" (thanks @pocketmunchkin for the tip)

WooB0n.jpgqXjKzl.jpg

Interesting things I've learned along the way:
  • Eggs do not spawn immediately when entering a Biome, you must give them a minute (reproduction is har.... difficult!)
  • You (currently) cannot drop a piece of metal in a tank to farm teeth from Stalkers
  • Some fish do not grow as large in captivity, the Shocker most notably
  • It does not matter if you put a Shocker egg in a single large Aquarium or a huge 10 deck Aquarium, they will grow to be the same size
  • Hatched fish do not seem to eat regular fish if you stock their Aquarium, so "feeding" does not seem to be necessary
  • If you put 2 of the same breed of regular fish in an Aquarium, they will breed like RABBITS!! (until the tank is considered "full")
  • If you quit the game before an egg you've placed in a tank has hatched, they can sometimes disappear (thanks @Calarand77)
  • Once you've hatched an egg, its breed will show up as one of your Blueprints (thanks @Sidchicken for the tip)
  • Wildlife you cannot pick up and add to your inventory in the wild... becomes lootable if you hatch it in an Aquarium
  • The Spadefish egg is as big or bigger than the Spadefish itself. I'm guessing this was so they wouldn't be impossible to find

Comments

• JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    How do you use them? I can't put them anywhere but a locker.
  • FrraksurredFrraksurred USA Join Date: 2015-04-04 Member: 202960Members
    Jacara wrote: »

You need to build the new "Large Aquarium" from the February update. It goes in the center of the large round rooms. Put a hatch on your Aquarium, go inside and drop the egg(s), and then give them 2-3 days to hatch.

You need to build the new "Large Aquarium" from the February update. It goes in the center of the large round rooms. Put a hatch on your Aquarium, go inside and drop the egg(s), and then give them 2-3 days to hatch.

Hmm might have to get new eggs then, the ones I have say that I can't drop them in there, that they have to go in storage.
    Which eggs do you have? Also, just to be sure, you are using the new aquarium right?

9oxQ7a.jpg

...not the old one?

maxresdefault.jpg

Sorry, I know it's likely a needless question, but I still have to ask.

On a side note, I've gone a little overboard with my Hatchery:

7Q3d2g.jpg
  • pocketmunchkinpocketmunchkin USA Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213480Members
    I spawned the reefback eggs because reasons.
    Lets just say the mini reefbacks are the most adorable things ever!
    I can't wait to brave the leviathan for a egg of that just to have a mini terror in my hatchery.
    I think the issue might be that I'm still using a saved game that I updated rather than start a new one.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I think the issue might be that I'm still using a saved game that I updated rather than start a new one.

Probably. I ditched my old save - it was painful, since I'd spent like 3 days of real time on it, but there was really nothing left for me to do, and I wanted to be sure all the new features were available.
    Sidchicken wrote: »

Probably. I ditched my old save - it was painful, since I'd spent like 3 days of real time on it, but there was really nothing left for me to do, and I wanted to be sure all the new features were available.

I'm building a base in every zone in survival. Not just basic bases either, each has their own specialty.
    Updated OP with more info.
    just some info, but the fish will stop breeding once your large tanks are full. I currently have 2 large aquariums joined together and theres about 10 jelly rays in them and no more eggs
    I spawned the reefback eggs because reasons.
    Lets just say the mini reefbacks are the most adorable things ever!

WHAAAAT!?! Okay, I have to go try this. What is their console command? "reefbackegg"?

yeah use "item reefbackegg 2" so that you spawn 2 and they'll breed. Trust me, seeing a pint sized reefback should be on everyones bucket list.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Erm Frraksurred you mixed up some info on the gasopod eggs, rather the size and the picture.

Gasopod eggs are the same size as Stalker eggs which is 2x2 and the egg looks like this

latest?cb=20150922210151

the egg you said is the gasopod is actually the rabbitray egg.
    Erm Frraksurred you mixed up some info on the gasopod eggs, rather the size and the picture.

Gasopod eggs are the same size as Stalker eggs which is 2x2 and the egg looks like this

latest?cb=20150922210151

the egg you said is the gasopod is actually the rabbitray egg.

Ahhh, thanks for the correction. I will get it fixed asap.

• ErgossErgoss KY Join Date: 2016-03-02 Member: 213722Members
    FWIW, I found most of my bone shark eggs in the western mushroom forest. Probably found more than twice as many eggs as sharks.
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    I seem to find almost nothing but bone shark eggs!
    edited March 2016
    Ergoss wrote: »
    FWIW, I found most of my bone shark eggs in the western mushroom forest. Probably found more than twice as many eggs as sharks.
    mndfreeze wrote: »
    I seem to find almost nothing but bone shark eggs!

Good to know, I will update the OP. Thank you both.

EDIT: New info and screen shots added to OP
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    I noticed last night that eggs show up in your blueprints list once you've hatched one.
    I noticed last night that eggs show up in your blueprints list once you've hatched one.
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    Not all tho, for some reason the stalker egg won't ever be "learned" even tho my others so far did.
    Did you report that as a bug? You should.
    Yesssssssiirreeeeeee, I always F8 it.
    edited March 2016
    mndfreeze wrote: »
    Not all tho, for some reason the stalker egg won't ever be "learned" even tho my others so far did.

That's interesting, 3 of the eggs I've found still show as "unidentified" but Stalker was the first one the game named for me.

--

On a side not, here is what a 8 deck Aquarium with EVERYTHING stuffed in it looks like:

zZltmw.jpg
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Word of warning - eggs will sometimes disappear from your aquarium if you leave the game before they hatch. When you quit and reload your save, they just won't be there anymore. I've had it happen a couple of times with different eggs, but could not find any consistency for this behavior. Seems to be completely random.
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    Word of warning - eggs will sometimes disappear from your aquarium if you leave the game before they hatch. When you quit and reload your save, they just won't be there anymore. I've had it happen a couple of times with different eggs, but could not find any consistency for this behavior. Seems to be completely random.

This has happened to me multiple times.
  • KerbalKerbal In orbit around Jool Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213834Members
  • Duemos_735Duemos_735 USA Join Date: 2016-11-02 Member: 223591Members
    Not sure if you guys just haven't found them yet or don't know that they exist, but there are also crashfish and shuttlebug eggs now.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Duemos_735 wrote: »
    Not sure if you guys just haven't found them yet or don't know that they exist, but there are also crashfish and shuttlebug eggs now.

I find crashfish eggs inside the crashfish plants themselves once the crashes have vacated. Sometimes they're there in place of crash powder- they look like tiny little nemos (no screenshot sorry). I also have found crabsnake eggs inside the actual Jellyshrooms. If you wait for the crabsnake to leave and then swim inside the trunk of the Jellyshroom there's sometimes an egg sitting right at the the bottom- again, no screenshot, sorry.
  • Da_Champ_13Da_Champ_13 Join Date: 2018-02-24 Member: 238198Members
    Jack septic eye found I think a spadefish in a dark deep hole in the shallows
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    are you ready for the eighth wonder of the world...
    N-N-N-NECROPOST!