Atmospheric Territories extension now live

Comments

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Ixian wrote: »
    Does the bio 9 ability contaminate have any effect on the lighting?

I know this isn't what you were asking, but that's an interesting idea:

Make Biomass Level affect the light change?

The gradiation to darkness would increase gradually to it's current state as a hive's level increased. This could also be matched up with maturity, but I like the intentionality of biomass. Perhaps it could even be per-hive. So the rooms connected to a Bio3 hive would be darker than the rooms connected to a Bio1 hive. I think the darkest should be slightly lighter than the current darkest, and then three distinct steps before that for each level.

This would slightly decrease the effect while marines are still weaker, and increase the effect as aliens grew stronger, which hopefully is when marines are getting stronger too. Additionally, if the hive-specific idea goes in, it would be a way for Marines to tell whether they're encroaching on a higher level hive or a lower one, while simultaneously making it easier for aliens to defend a higher level hive.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i dunno @Calego , marine comeback chance etc.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    Not had a chance to look, but my first thought is: how is this going to affect spectate mode, especially when watching someone casting?

It'll be impossible to see what's going on throughout the alien half of the map!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Sherlock Commander view is not affected by lighting. IIRC the same goes for spectator modes, but you can confirm by just jumping in game and checking :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Actually playing rounds on this I can only say 100% winwin.

Makes alien vision more useful.
    Looks better, especially with alien structures producing their own light.
    Adds a whole new atmosphere and mood.

Its just.. excellent
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @mst3kld

We could use a performance log of your FPS issues with the new lighting, such as the scenario in those screenshots you posted.

Please type p_logall in the console and then after you've captured the low fps (and back to high fps once again) type p_endlog.
    You'll find the *.plog file in the same place as your log.txt : %appdata%/Natural selection 2/
    ... please zip up the file and link it here or PM @McGlaspie or myself.
    Thanks!
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2016
    While I think this change won't have much negative outcome, I fail to see the positive outcomes vs time invested. (unless this didn't take much work at all)

Blah blah standard me feedback basically saying why u no work on something more impactful :disappointed:

Fixing the awful hissing/feedback in the tutorial voice would go a long way in making it seem more professional imo.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    CCTEE wrote: »
    i dunno @Calego , marine comeback chance etc.

Yeah, i can't really see this as anything but an alien buff unfortunately, however slight. Unless AV was changed significantly to where it really only works in the dark, even then it wouldn't affect aliens any more than pressing one button when crossing certain thresholds.

I guess the best way to approach this is to leave it as simple as it is now, just with a slightly reduced effect, and chalk it up to atmosphere change with a slight balance effect.
    Nobody has commented on the Exo floodlights yet.. ;)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »

What's an Exosuit? :tongue:
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

What's an Exosuit? :tongue:

You ask that, but I've seen marine's perfomance increase rapidly once they research exosuits. I think they are currently quite underappreciated, and pretty scary to a lonely onos.

Of course you gotta have someone to actually weld you...
  • HobbesonHobbeson New York Join Date: 2015-12-04 Member: 209723Members
    With my terrible eyesight, I'm having a lot of trouble seeing skulks in darkened areas. But I don't care - the changes look cool, and I'm a sucker for cool-looking stuff. Good work.

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Hobbeson wrote: »
    With my terrible eyesight, I'm having a lot of trouble seeing skulks in darkened areas. But I don't care - the changes look cool, and I'm a sucker for cool-looking stuff. Good work.
    Did you try upping your gamma in the graphics settings?
  • HobbesonHobbeson New York Join Date: 2015-12-04 Member: 209723Members
    remi wrote: »
    Hobbeson wrote: »
    Did you try upping your gamma in the graphics settings?

Yeah it's all the way up using the ns2 settings, but I can still mess around with my graphics card settings. Maybe that will do it.
  • IntrepidHIntrepidH Florida Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209838Members
    as someone playing since release I'm really excited about this change and cant wait to play it (loading now! :D )
  • IntrepidHIntrepidH Florida Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209838Members
    great job! lighting looks sick imo, hopped into a 70 min game and speccd the map out with alien on 3 hive to marine 2 tech point on summit so i got to see how the lighting varies in map control and it looks very cool, cant wait to see how dark it looks on some other rooms like in mineshaft/eclipse
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shitty dark room, I need mroe light, oh cysts provide light, i dont want to kill cysts in rooms any more because it actually makes the game harder on marines by darkening the room.

So you make things harder to see anyway and then it makes me not want to play the game properly and decyst rooms because it actually makes the room better for marines to fight in because it's well lit?

But I'll get ignored because it makes rookies happy who don't understand the gameplay of ns2 anyway. Lets not spend time developing changes for the competitive community. Probably because they get annoyed at the hard work. Yet you force every change upon us without even thinking about it from the long term player pov.

Mendasp and Dragon are done seemingly fixing shit things in this game so if UWE doesn't step up they'll lose both their long-term players and the rookies they cant keep playing anyway.
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    @Cr4zyb4st4rd Dude, right click your desktop. Graphics Properties. Display. Color. Find the slider labeled 'Gamma' and crank it up to 1.5 or so. It takes literally 5 clicks to fix this issue, which is far less time than it probably took you type up that enormous wall of negative vibes.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I play with insanely high gamma already. The fact that is now everyone's go to solution proves that it is too dark....
    edited March 2016
    i dont want to kill cysts in rooms any more because it actually makes the game harder on marines by darkening the room.
    What?
    Killing the cysts in the room actually brightens the room, not darkens it?

If you're killing just one cyst then you're doing it wrong and if there's more cysts in the room still then it's still alien territory soooo... working as intended?
    Also, you can build a powernode or use your improved flashlight?

I use default brightness and gamma for both my monitor and in game and Haven't had an issue yet.
    Makes me wonder how it's too dark for some people, (esp those jacking up their settings) or if it's just hyperbole; is it really pitch darkness to you, or are you able to see still but it's just more difficult now?

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Some of the maps like Kodiak will need significant lighting reworks. There are ugly stripes of black shadows mixed with bright environmental lights when power goes out.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    This change is great. Now we just need infestation to grow/coat ceilings a lot more in heavily alien controlled areas :)
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    edited March 2016
    @IronHorse @McGlaspie

So mst linked some screenshots of this change. While I like the IDEA behind the change, I don't like how it's implemented. It's wrong.

Rooms are defined by power node grids. Your change utilizes that for this affect. As you can see in mst's screenshot, we placed ONE cyst on the VERY edge of computer lab at flight control. This caused ALL of computer labs to go dark, all the way back to comp lab. Some rooms are VERY big, and one cyst can "claim" a LARGE swathe of territory (depending on the map).

I don't think that making this mechanic so dependent on map layout is the 'right' way to go.

Sure, you can counter argue by saying "all you have to do is build the power" or "find the cyst and kill it!". But you have to again think from the new player perspective, or other players who don't know that this mechanic works the way I just pointed out - they're going to be really confused about why a room is dark. It's going to take someone who knows to tell them "oh, well there's an alien structure somewhere in this room" and "oh a room is defined by a grid that defines where the room is powered and where it's not powered.

It's an unnecessarily long thing to explain and it's not intuitive like users would expect (which is that only NEAR the alien structures does it get dark).

I imagine this was the EASIEST way to do it, and on most maps or situations, it works, but there are many cases that its going to create a negative AND confusing experience for your consumers (playerbase).
  • clowningclowning Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22956Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm sorry, but this is an absolutely awful idea.

It's a cool idea for a mod, but it's insane to go and put it in the main build. Please make it an opt-in.
  • WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i dont want to kill cysts in rooms any more because it actually makes the game harder on marines by darkening the room.
    What?
    Killing the cysts in the room actually brightens the room, not darkens it?

If you're killing just one cyst then you're doing it wrong and if there's more cysts in the room still then it's still alien territory soooo... working as intended?
    Also, you can build a powernode or use your improved flashlight?

I use default brightness and gamma for both my monitor and in game and Haven't had an issue yet.
    Makes me wonder how it's too dark for some people, (esp those jacking up their settings) or if it's just hyperbole; is it really pitch darkness to you, or are you able to see still but it's just more difficult now?

So am I supposed to clear an entire room of 5+ cysts before I do anything at all now? If an alien comes along i'll just keep killing cysts so I can see it better eventually.

Flashlights are specific use and even then aren't great.

NS2 has always been dark, more so than other games, people have been gamma boosting before the lackluster gamma option was in the menu, the game is even darker now, which makes no sense.
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    NS2 has always been dark, more so than other games, people have been gamma boosting before the lackluster gamma option was in the menu, the game is even darker now, which makes no sense.

People who value getting competitive advantages (or if you prefer: avoiding competitive disadvantages) over immersion have always jacked up their gamma and turned down the graphics detail to reduce any possible distraction, and they'll continue doing so. Don't act like those changes are more cumberstome to a competitive player than moving the gamma slider by one or two pixels while ignoring all other aspects of what they have already customized and turned off, making the way they play and see the game frankly quite different to what the average rookie with default settings is used to.

Immersion and competitive gaming are not compatible imho., but they don't have to be. This is targeted at casuals, and from an immersion perspective, I think the changes are awesome. If those changes really affect gameplay in a noticeable way... NSL mod will revert them pretty soon.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2016
    Thing is... most comp players already have high gamma. Much higher than default. Boosting it even more doesn't do much at all.

This is similar to rich infestation. It's really cool. It's pretty to look at but as far as a gameplay aspect, it doesn't do much for people who want to be competitive. Like the infestation setting, this atmospheric lighting should have an on/off toggle so everyone can be happy.

P.S. This would stop Cr4zy's whining as well. Everyone would be happy. :)
    Luchs wrote: »
    =If those changes really affect gameplay in a noticeable way... NSL mod will revert them pretty soon.

Pretty sure people are done fixing UWE's shit for no thanks.

As josh says, why it cant just be a simple toggle is beyond me, like EVERY new feature it's instantly forced on everyone and a lot of people don't care for it.