What kinds of submarines do you want in this game?

Comments

• raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    I want new subs, one that would be slightly larger than seamoth and not instant prey to reaper if no perimeter defense equipped but still be prey to larger leviathans, probably having build in small container and upgrade options deeper than seamoth. I'd also want "mothership" type of submarine which would have build in nuclear reactors and capacity to be actual moving base (ofc slow and large aka not fitting trough all spaces). I'd love have variants of seamoth size and maybe also one between it and seaglide having higher speed than moth with capacity of upgrade or max 2 aka either small defence, or depth or capacity.

and ofc I'd love eventually have options between several types of submarines even on same size with altering speed/maneuverability and custom options
  • raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    forgot to add btw, when looking roadmap there is notion of O2 value added into subs, where seamoth example will loose a lot of usability:S. So I hope O2 tanks will be another upgrade option and could expand on various subs of same size by adding different size of O2 tanks by default in addition to diff upgrade options, diff speed options etc
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    Anything that will FIT a cyclops?
  • Eddie894Eddie894 United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-10-27 Member: 208795Members
    An Aurora-sized sub is completely impractical. There is no place to use it.

That part of the poll was kind of a joke.
  • MerivoMerivo United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212466Members
    edited February 2016
    We need this, we need that. Guys, this is a survival game. The cyclops is already verging on end-game material, and you want something bigger? Lets wait until the game's a bit more done first before considering other subs, eh?

Oh and, I don't see any poll options for changing the cyclops to be a bit more usable? Rather than 'replacing' it with a better one.
  • jhs3kjhs3k Join Date: 2016-02-06 Member: 212644Members
    I would like the option of upgrading the SeaGlide into an ROV. Power & range isn't greatly increased but it has a buoyancy system that allows it to ascend & descend using zero battery power. Unlimited depth capability but not unlimited telemetry broadcast range. Can also be used as a beacon (can toggle this feature on/off). Control station can fit inside the Cyclops.
    Merivo wrote: »
    We need this, we need that. Guys, this is a survival game. The cyclops is already verging on end-game material, and you want something bigger? Lets wait until the game's a bit more done first before considering other subs, eh?

Oh and, I don't see any poll options for changing the cyclops to be a bit more usable? Rather than 'replacing' it with a better one.

You do have a fair point, the game is still very early and there is a TON of a lot more to build on before we get more submarines, but I did focus on what people want for new subs, not how to improve current ones.
    jhs3k wrote: »
    I would like the option of upgrading the SeaGlide into an ROV. Power & range isn't greatly increased but it has a buoyancy system that allows it to ascend & descend using zero battery power. Unlimited depth capability but not unlimited telemetry broadcast range. Can also be used as a beacon (can toggle this feature on/off). Control station can fit inside the Cyclops.

Nice idea. But actually, increase the range and power a lot please, the seaglide (Unless you use powerglide ability) is not much faster than you if you use ultra glide swim flippies. The buoyancy system could be useful, the seaglide isn't currently great at ascending/descending in a straight line. Not sure about the beacon bit. I would keep the seaglide as a hand-held item which should stay in your inventory.
    Anything that will FIT a cyclops?

I am not too sure about a submarine big enough to fit the Cyclops and having any more space for any more functions. However, I would definitely support the idea of a new habitat room which could dock the Cyclops.
    edited February 2016
    Eddie894 wrote: »
    Nice idea. But actually, increase the range and power a lot please, the seaglide (Unless you use powerglide ability) is not much faster than you if you use ultra glide swim flippies. The buoyancy system could be useful, the seaglide isn't currently great at ascending/descending in a straight line. Not sure about the beacon bit. I would keep the seaglide as a hand-held item which should stay in your inventory.

Agreed. Range & speed would increase, if for no other reason that there wasn't a person hanging off the back. Power efficiency increased due to less drag. The ROV would remain the same size as the SeaGlide, still fits in inventory.

Cyclops drydock: If the cyclops enters like the moonpool, it makes more sense to me if it was a floating surface structure like the mobile vehicle bay. Otherwise it could be a new seabase component that can attach to a vertical connector or whatnot. Attaches the Cyclops via its forward docking hatch. Base can then recharge the Cyclops while docked. Seamoth can come & go from the cyclops as usual.

Agreed. Range & speed would increase, if for no other reason that there wasn't a person hanging off the back. Power efficiency increased due to less drag. The ROV would remain the same size as the SeaGlide, still fits in inventory.

Cyclops drydock: If the cyclops enters like the moonpool, it makes more sense to me if it was a floating surface structure like the mobile vehicle bay. Otherwise it could be a new seabase component that can attach to a vertical connector or whatnot. Attaches the Cyclops via its forward docking hatch. Base can then recharge the Cyclops while docked. Seamoth can come & go from the cyclops as usual.

Just what I have been thinking since the moon pool update. There needs to be a dock that allows you to enter and exit the Cyclops without getting wet in the sea, and to keep it where you want it in place.
    I'm not sure how aggressive they're gonna make creatures in the future or what kind of threats your base will have to defend against, but having a cyclops attached to a (relatively weak) vertical connector would make for interesting times if something large slammed into the sub.
  • Sigil_ThaneSigil_Thane Oklahoma, USA Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210855Members
    Either an enhancement to a seamoth or a seperate vehicle with a Hydrofoil for fast surface level transportation... Possibly tying in with some new creatures that use similar means of transport?
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    edited February 2016
    The Cyclops has definite visibility issues, and they're has to be more functionality with vehicles. Like with the Exosuit. There should be more reasons to get the Cyclops aside from a big awesome moving base. How about a research lab? Or maybe to progress to places that hold more technological info.

I'm going to go back to some of my old threads that tackle this question and maybe bring some pics!
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    No need. Already there :)
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    edited February 2016
    More submarines would complicate matters. We've already got a big sub which is tough as nails but hard to manuever, and a little one which is quick for covering distances but vulnerable to Reaper attacks. A larger sub would be impossible to control, especially over safe shallows.

Now a remote probe on the other hand, which is costly because it would be vulnerable to attack (they can get destroyed) but puts the player themselves out of harm's way, might be a good idea... But assuming we're talking strictly about manned subs, having more of them is not practical.
    Phoenix223 wrote: »
    More submarines would complicate matters. We've already got a big sub which is tough as nails but hard to manuever, and a little one which is quick for covering distances but vulnerable to Reaper attacks. A larger sub would be impossible to control, especially over safe shallows.

Now a remote probe on the other hand, which is costly because it would be vulnerable to attack (they can get destroyed) but puts the player themselves out of harm's way, might be a good idea... But assuming we're talking strictly about manned subs, having more of them is not practical.

I see your point. And I do understand that subs could run aground (I don't know he term for hitting something underwater) in safe shallows, but perhaps if the map expands there could be tremendously deeper areas, aside from *el void and the lava biome.

I probe droid sub though? I would like that, great idea. It could have many upgrade spots for different functions i.e. finding minerals, farming flora etc.
    I'm not sure how aggressive they're gonna make creatures in the future or what kind of threats your base will have to defend against, but having a cyclops attached to a (relatively weak) vertical connector would make for interesting times if something large slammed into the sub.

Do you come from space engineers by any chance? I still shout at my screen when a sharp turn rips off my parked fighters from my ship.

Anyway, a docking port of at least some kind is needed, perhaps just a small connector, or a massive room to fit it all in.
    Either an enhancement to a seamoth or a seperate vehicle with a Hydrofoil for fast surface level transportation... Possibly tying in with some new creatures that use similar means of transport?

Alien flying fishies!

Nice. A submersible boat which can stick to the surface (And perhaps move faster than the seamoth while it's there) could make for a cool vehicle.

And another thing - I don't want to exit the point of the entire game, but maybe, just maybe, there can be a vehicle which can fly or glide to a point?
    SPIRIN1224 wrote: »
    The Cyclops has definite visibility issues, and they're has to be more functionality with vehicles. Like with the Exosuit. There should be more reasons to get the Cyclops aside from a big awesome moving base. How about a research lab? Or maybe to progress to places that hold more technological info.

I'm going to go back to some of my old threads that tackle this question and maybe bring some pics!

To a point you can already convert *el Cyclops to a lot of things like a moving base or what you said, an acute research lab. But a new submarine which is focused entirely (Or almost entirely) on one job (Like research) and have perks like an immense crush depth or hull protection from predators.
  • Phoenix223Phoenix223 Chicago Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213174Members
    Phoenix223 wrote: »
    Now a remote probe..., which is costly because it would be vulnerable to attack (they can get destroyed) but puts the player themselves out of harm's way, might be a good idea...
    I probe droid sub though? I would like that, great idea. It could have many upgrade spots for different functions i.e. finding minerals, farming flora etc.

I confess, this idea's inspired by the Hyper Reality Probe from Seaquest DSV
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    edited March 2016
    I think what is missing is a dedicated deep dive sub that is specifically for exploring the really deep depths that would crush the seamoth and cyclops. I see the seamoth as a beginner to intermediate sub that is versitile and quickly replaced but technically limited by its basic & cheap construction requirements. The cyclops on the other end as a lot of people have put it, is more like a moving base and not suited for propper exploration and is more of a staging vehicle.

This deep dive explorer would be a big step up from the seamoth in terms of depth capability while still having fairly decent manoeuvrability, medium speed and excellent visibility to the front, sides and more importantly, directly below. I envisage a slightly larger sphere than the seamoth made of enameled glass but has the same room inside as the larger size comes from the extra thickness to the glass to withstand the immense pressures.

The main body of the vessel itself would sit a bit above but more so behind the sphere (so it fits through the narrow tube caves & the sphere is a visibile size reference when sizing up whether you'll fit) and would allow you to get out of the cockpit to walk around inside (similar amount of lengthwise room to the life boat but a low claustrophobic roof, maybe even have the character stooped over?) to access storage & maybe a mini emergency fabricator for simple items like food, water & health packs. It would be powered by 3 power cells (drawing similar power as the seamoth), have storage equivalent to 1.5 to 2 storage cabinets and carry a defensive capability as well.

The idea is that you can go on extended expeditions at extreme depths without needing to return to dock with the cyclops "mothership" for quite some time and be able to collect a lot of rare resources & research specimens while at it as well as pack sufficient gear to aid in your expedition & cover off possibilities.

This obviously makes it a fairly powerful sub for exploring the depths and so should be designed as a mid-late game discovery in the way of scannable fragments and would require a lot of special resources like 2 computer chips, 3 advanced wiring kits, 10 enameled glass, 2-3 plasteel ingots, etc. and have modification options via the seamoth upgrade station for adding the defense capabilities, extra storage, 360deg floodlights, etc (leave depth enhancements out since thats what the sub is specifically deaigned for)

Anyway, thats my idea for a new sub :tongue:

- Hyp3rion
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    They have a trello card specifically for making the Cyclops better to drive and navigate with, and with the exosuit coming to satisfy my ground mech style urges the only new sub ID like to see is something like a beefed up glide. Not just speed but perhaps a small oxygen generator or a small frame for additional protection.
  • GalacaticSurvivorGalacaticSurvivor NY, United States Join Date: 2016-02-12 Member: 212919Members
    I think that we should have a smaller version of the cyclops, because I want relative safety, be capable of movement within the ship, but also be able to navigate through small cave systems.
    I think that we should have a smaller version of the cyclops, because I want relative safety, be capable of movement within the ship, but also be able to navigate through small cave systems.

Plus the ability to roll and pitch like the Seamoth, so that it isn't stiff as a brick like in the Cyclops.
    Hyp3rion wrote: »
    I think what is missing is a dedicated deep dive sub that is specifically for exploring the really deep depths that would crush the seamoth and cyclops. I see the seamoth as a beginner to intermediate sub that is versitile and quickly replaced but technically limited by its basic & cheap construction requirements. The cyclops on the other end as a lot of people have put it, is more like a moving base and not suited for propper exploration and is more of a staging vehicle.

This deep dive explorer would be a big step up from the seamoth in terms of depth capability while still having fairly decent manoeuvrability, medium speed and excellent visibility to the front, sides and more importantly, directly below. I envisage a slightly larger sphere than the seamoth made of enameled glass but has the same room inside as the larger size comes from the extra thickness to the glass to withstand the immense pressures.

The main body of the vessel itself would sit a bit above but more so behind the sphere (so it fits through the narrow tube caves & the sphere is a visibile size reference when sizing up whether you'll fit) and would allow you to get out of the cockpit to walk around inside (similar amount of lengthwise room to the life boat but a low claustrophobic roof, maybe even have the character stooped over?) to access storage & maybe a mini emergency fabricator for simple items like food, water & health packs. It would be powered by 3 power cells (drawing similar power as the seamoth), have storage equivalent to 1.5 to 2 storage cabinets and carry a defensive capability as well.

The idea is that you can go on extended expeditions at extreme depths without needing to return to dock with the cyclops "mothership" for quite some time and be able to collect a lot of rare resources & research specimens while at it as well as pack sufficient gear to aid in your expedition & cover off possibilities.

This obviously makes it a fairly powerful sub for exploring the depths and so should be designed as a mid-late game discovery in the way of scannable fragments and would require a lot of special resources like 2 computer chips, 3 advanced wiring kits, 10 enameled glass, 2-3 plasteel ingots, etc. and have modification options via the seamoth upgrade station for adding the defense capabilities, extra storage, 360deg floodlights, etc (leave depth enhancements out since thats what the sub is specifically deaigned for)

Anyway, thats my idea for a new sub :tongue:

- Hyp3rion

So what I hear is basically a ball of glass that can withstand extreme depths for prolonged expeditions? A ball shape would make sense because of a sphere's natural strength. And the ability to go deep... as in REALLY deep without modules would be fit for exploring the (currently) inactive lava zone.
  • Gman_Plays_GamesGman_Plays_Games Washington Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214401Members
    I want something like a giant war submarine that can dock 2 Cyclopes and 6 Seamoths imside it, with uber torpedoes and electric shock defenses. and to match it there should be a MASSIVE sea monster like the Kraken, with tentacles as thick around as a cyclops and several times longer, with a huge toothy maw. have it come up from the depths (the thousands of meters deep parts) and latch onto the mega sub and have all sorts of different attacks it does (tossing it around, wraping tentacles around it, biting the hull, moving off then ramming it, etc.)
  • PetrovaskiPetrovaski USA Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214407Members
    edited March 2016
    Personally I would love to see a surface mothership/DSV combo similar to the Alvin and her attendant carriers the surface ship moves fast over the surface to have a high speed large ship a bit bigger than the cyclops with a fantail crane that holds the DSV something a bit larger than a seamoth a bit slower but much deeper diving maybe upgradable to have manipulator arms or a small ROV once again like the Alvin
  • NinthGuardianNinthGuardian Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214405Members
    edited March 2016
    Have a mega sub being the only craft that travels to other parts of the world. Of course people want 3000m depth content, but I think eventually we run into a situation where a huge ship feels like it is in a smaller pond

However! A simple explanation " The target area in which the ship did crash at was considered to be a large plateau with some of the most diverse areas. Probably because it is the site of a large migration of large sea creatures containing ecosystems that helps introduce species elsewhere. "

You can simply make this migration detected by data recovered from past explorers. Then make an event where as you are following this herd ( over the course of several days ) you are attacked learning that the power cells of your technology resembles that of one of these dyeing migration creatures, SO you are relentlessly attacked via a misunderstanding within the worlds grand circle of life. Meaning if your cyclops and whatever else you build survives the journey... you still need to make it back.

Upon surviving and reaching this new area ( which can be a small island in the middle of nowhere) you get the plans for the megasub provided by living or dead people who had the data for the technology, but not the same level of production ability you have.

Then you can use the megasub to safely go back and forth.

The cyclopes makes a great intermediate to a mega sub as well as being the best option in certain situations. But I think as far as mass resource collection the megasub is the way to go and one of the end game goals should be an objective build. Something that makes you feel you completed something someone will remember. Maybe aliens are attacking all over the galaxy, but lack sub technology. So you are tasked to create a city deep under water that you can only build after collecting all the tools.

This city maybe is deemed complete when it can house a few hundred colony force people coming to build the remainder of a headquarters for human resistance.
  • PetrovaskiPetrovaski USA Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214407Members
    Have a mega sub being the only craft that travels to other parts of the world. Of course people want 3000m depth content, but I think eventually we run into a situation where a huge ship feels like it is in a smaller pond

However! A simple explanation " The target area in which the ship did crash at was considered to be a large plateau with some of the most diverse areas. Probably because it is the site of a large migration of large sea creatures containing ecosystems that helps introduce species elsewhere. "

You can simply make this migration detected by data recovered from past explorers. Then make an event where as you are following this herd ( over the course of several days ) you are attacked learning that the power cells of your technology resembles that of one of these dyeing migration creatures, SO you are relentlessly attacked via a misunderstanding within the worlds grand circle of life. Meaning if your cyclops and whatever else you build survives the journey... you still need to make it back.

Upon surviving and reaching this new area ( which can be a small island in the middle of nowhere) you get the plans for the megasub provided by living or dead people who had the data for the technology, but not the same level of production ability you have.

Then you can use the megasub to safely go back and forth.

The cyclopes makes a great intermediate to a mega sub as well as being the best option in certain situations. But I think as far as mass resource collection the megasub is the way to go and one of the end game goals should be an objective build. Something that makes you feel you completed something someone will remember. Maybe aliens are attacking all over the galaxy, but lack sub technology. So you are tasked to create a city deep under water that you can only build after collecting all the tools.

This city maybe is deemed complete when it can house a few hundred colony force people coming to build the remainder of a headquarters for human resistance.

I like your transport between zones idea it would give mega subs a real purpose I myself favor the idea that you would find the sub itself wrecked and sunk instead of plans and you must salvage,repair, and refloat it forcing you to use all the tools in game in some way to restore the functionality dig out buried portions of the hull clear invasive creatures and the like
  • AquaFleetAquaFleet Eulophia Join Date: 2016-03-18 Member: 214436Members
    You know those floaty things well you should use those to make something that floats on the water or something and you drop your ship in .