Patch 287 Released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited February 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imagePatch 287 Released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Patch 287 adds achievements and new player missions to Natural Selection 2. Additionally some issues of the previous build were fixed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gotta Collect them all now...
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2016
    For all those who are not a rookie anymore here's a screenshot how the new menu element looks like:
    1ge2ngo.jpg
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I find some of the current achievements rather... lackluster :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kouji82/stats/NaturalSelection2?tab=achievements

Use a gorge tunnel? Really mate, what's next, walk through hallway?

That eat your green patch is totally awesome!
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited February 2016
    "Pressing E to build while you have a welder will now use the welder instead of the build tool." - B286
    "If you have a welder, you will build with the welder instead of the build-tool." - B287

We copy that. Great job on the achievements though!
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    For all those who are not a rookie anymore here's a screenshot how the new menu element looks like:
    1ge2ngo.jpg

Not seeing this on my menu. Got the decal but doesn't show up on the Customisation menu either.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Pelargir wrote: »
    1ge2ngo.jpg

Not seeing this on my menu. Got the decal but doesn't show up on the Customisation menu either.

try going in and out of the customize menu and sync again.
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    1ge2ngo.jpg

Done this already. + restarted game and Steam.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2016
    1ge2ngo.jpg

You don't see the menu as you are not a rookie. However you can still get the decal by completing all tasks. Looking at your achievement progress you still haven't finished 4 of the 5 missions.
    edited February 2016
    1ge2ngo.jpg

You don't see the menu as you are not a rookie. However you can still get the decal by completing all tasks. Looking at your achievement progress you still haven't finished 4 of the 5 missions.

So am I supposed to be a rookie to see this menu or not because your first comment says the opposite.

And why did my game show me the same message than the one on your screenshot if it isn't true?

EDIT: got your message, was really confusing lol.
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    Hi, the animation when you buy a welder is unnaturally slow.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Pokémon mode initiated!
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Tinki wrote: »
    Hi, the animation when you buy a welder is unnaturally slow.

It's an issue we saw last night before we pushes the final build. It's not a show stopper, but we hope to have a fix for it very soon!
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    "Pressing E to build while you have a welder will now use the welder instead of the build tool." - B286
    "If you have a welder, you will build with the welder instead of the build-tool." - B287

We copy that. Great job on the achievements though!

Fixed.
  • ChrisStarkChrisStark Germany Join Date: 2016-02-11 Member: 212895Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2016
    So is it now possible to get the shoulder patch for non-rookies?
    I think I have completed all of the tasks but I don't have it.

Edit: I have seen I don't have all of the right achievements yet, but anywaw: Will non-rookies get the patch after completing them?
    edited February 2016
    ChrisStark wrote: »
    Will non-rookies get the patch after completing them?

Yes as it's bundled to the "Eat Your Greens" achievement. Non rookies just don't get the list displayed in the main menu.

You can still unlock all the new players achievements as well independent from the menu interface.

• ResistorResistor Russia Join Date: 2014-08-01 Member: 197747Members
    System wrote: »
    Next up we are working to implement some of the ideas and requests from the ‘Simplifying NS2 thread’ and document.
    Just please, please, I beg you, do not touch the existing power/infestation.

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Resistor wrote: »
    Next up we are working to implement some of the ideas and requests from the ‘Simplifying NS2 thread’ and document.

Why not?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @Resistor it's literally the only they're touching
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited February 2016
    ^Calego - They do say above "...Next up we are working to implement some of the ideas and requests from the ‘Simplifying NS2 thread’ and document..."
    - So basically you want more than that general statement? Or are you just explaining the results of them not saying much? I think it's nice they acknowledged they will be putting attention on things discussed so far and then everything I'm sure will have to enter a play testing stage and have enough people agree that the change is worth pursuing.

I really like a lot of the ideas on the document, but I don't like all of them. Hopefully the one's that better communicate things make it into the game, and the team tries some different things to add some new life back into the gameplay of NS2. I don't expect them to tell us what one's they are considering yet. They can if they want, but any big changes other than visual aides are going to need a lot of play testing for balance decisions.

• The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Calego wrote: »
    Resistor wrote: »

I'm approximately 1,000% certain that anything the devs do to change the core mechanics of the game will be extremely controversial. Similar to the movement and balance updates way back when (Gorgeous i think?).

What I hope will happen is that these changes will be put into another "Official Balance Mod" before they go official, so that even beyond the PTs, normal people can explore the changes and then start the debates. This kind of open development is what will help a community with as deeply seated opinions as ours has to slowly adopt and accept new things.

If radical changes are just sprung on the normal players who don't think/know anything's 'broken', we're going to get salty. If radical changes that aren't quite what some of the proponents of change are suggesting are sprung on people, they're going to get salty.

So, for the sake of our community, let us help you make some decisions, lest a sizable chunk of our dwindling population of core players leave.

EDIT since I thought of more to add to this:

We realize you guys are super busy actually making stuff, but the communication from Dev to Player has quieted down again, since our last thread about this. This only serves to make the natives restless since we know things are being worked on, but we don't know what to expect. Treat us like paranoid schizophrenics here. We're watching people we half trust mess around with our favorite time-sink. Similar to a shady car mechanic rummaging around in our car engine, we're really not certain what to expect.

You are right, but core changes should come 1 by 1 anyway. 250 was a bad build, it changed so many things at once and many disliked it. Many changes got reverted too later. I think there SHOULD be big changes because they evolve the game and keep it interesting, but they need to be communicated and debated before and they need to come over time so the game can make an evolution, not just a change in mechanics.
  • UuuggggUuugggg United States Join Date: 2014-08-05 Member: 197808Members
    Patch 287 adds achievements

Honestly I used to say one of the minor but great things about this game is that there were no stupid achievements. Now I can't say that.

Can we get a way to disable achievement notifications. I don't need to be told I just went through a gorge tunnel.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Uuugggg wrote: »

Honestly I used to say one of the minor but great things about this game is that there were no stupid achievements. Now I can't say that.

Can we get a way to disable achievement notifications. I don't need to be told I just went through a gorge tunnel.

Sorry to hear you dislike them, currently the only way to turn off achievement notifications on steam is by going into Settings->In Game->Uncheck "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game"... unfortunately Steam does not have a way to turn off only achievement notifications.
    edited February 2016
    Uuugggg wrote: »

The good news is, you won't be getting achievements every second. Hopefully it's not intrusive to the actual gameplay and you can simply not look at it. I haven't seen how they actual look when you come across one in game yet. I'll have to take a look. Is there a way to provide an option to not have the pop up notification (if there is one) like you can turn off hints? I should probably comment after I've come across one.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Deck_ wrote: »
    ^Calego - They do say above "...Next up we are working to implement some of the ideas and requests from the ‘Simplifying NS2 thread’ and document..."
    - So basically you want more than that general statement? Or are you just explaining the results of them not saying much? I think it's nice they acknowledged they will be putting attention on things discussed so far and then everything I'm sure will have to enter a play testing stage and have enough people agree that the change is worth pursuing.

I really like a lot of the ideas on the document, but I don't like all of them. Hopefully the one's that better communicate things make it into the game, and the team tries some different things to add some new life back into the gameplay of NS2. I don't expect them to tell us what one's they are considering yet. They can if they want, but any big changes other than visual aides are going to need a lot of play testing for balance decisions.

There are like 400 bajillion suggestions in that thread. So yeah, I would feel a lot less nervous about upcoming changes if I knew what was going on, and was at least given the farce of an ability to try to talk through some of the changes before they go into the game. Atm, the most clarifying we have is that screenshot going around about how they'll be implementing the suggestion about Infestation and Power nodes.

Even that subject alone has 100 bajillion of the 400 bajillion suggestions.

If this development cycle is returning to an "early-access"-esque method of weekly updates, I'd like an early-access-esque level of communication and interaction with the playerbase here on the forums. Thing is, this isn't an early access stage game, so a lot of very strong opinions have formed about how this game should treat stuff. Just going along and changing things isn't going to blow over well, no matter how much they're tested behind closed doors.

I also definitely agree with @The_Welsh_Wizard in that bitesized big changes will be more welcome than large swaths of big changes.
    edited February 2016
    ^ The problem is, people are going to react negatively to any gameplay changes even if they make the game better overall. Any change in a video game usually has some negative opinions. If you open up every single thing they are thinking of to debate, then it might turn into a negative conversation. I don't see why they can't tell us visual aides and helpful things they are working on, but I think for gameplay decisions - these would be better communicated once they have gone through some play testing. If you tell someone they are going to get a specific change and it doesn't work after play testing, it's going to lead to disappointment and possibly unneeded negativity. Sometimes you have to just release things, not everyone is going to agree but hopefully the work was done thorough enough that it could lead to better/more interesting games. And if not, then they make changes later.

I know the concern people have. Change is different, it could be a worse game if they mess it up. I'm sure there's some people that still say the game was better when fades had shadowstep and you could build gorge tunnels in vents. I think the changes usually go in the right direction overall. Are you going to agree with everything? Probably not. Will the veteran people that are play testing this let them ruin the game? I doubt it. NS1 was the best gameplay at it's time and NS2 is the best now imo. Even though people love to focus on negatives, let's allow for some changes. The future could be Better...
    I referenced the thread in my post to show you where thoughts and ideas came from. I then referenced the document which was worked on by Golden and discussed with many others of the top things to look at, so the document is really more reflective of things we are looking at working on. Right this moment, I cant tell you any of them as the team is evaluating the time and risk of them all before we meet on Monday to go over our plan. I would also like to say Calego that we have worked very hard over the last months to be more available to people, this may not always be in a public forum but we do make great efforts to check out the forums and discord rooms and contribute in the conversations. We are always available by PM or Email and welcome feedback and discussions.