Patch 286 Released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    Calego wrote: »
    It's already pretty inconsistent, I just played a game on ibis's servers and for some reason it didn't have primeable power nodes and no one knew what I was talking about. I know it's a server thing so might be a mod conflict I guess.

Either way, everyone agrees the new intro video is great.

Note that literally the only time you'll see these primed power nodes is when the power is socketed and there's no blueprint in the room. This means there's basically never any time this will cause trip ups. What it will help with is comms like me who socket just about every power node on the map that they'll need at some point early, only to have a rookie come around and finish them all because they didn't know any better (and the computer told them to).

So really guys, there's basically nothing different about power nodes. This change shouldn't break the flow, it shouldn't even change the flow of the game. It's just a little glass flip-up lid above the big red button, but only when the big red button isn't actually installed yet. Odds are you'll forget about this functionality in a week (which might be a problem, but w/e).

Wait, it only primes when there isn't a blueprint? I thought it would require a built structure to finish it. (Which is the most logical way to do it.)

I suppose the comm dropped the rt when I was building the power node, which led to that confusion. Which at this point, was this really needed?
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    option to disable primeable nodes pls flashlights just delay things
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Why not making the prime power node function enabled by defaults in settings, but veterans could disable it? Make it client side, not server side.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    @remi The welder on use key is a nerf to marines who are building. People used the build tool even when they had welders because of the low swap delay to bring your weapon up. I would have to drop my welder to have this now.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Thanks for that info @Golden. Maybe we can do something to reduce the swap time.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Does using the E-welder result in the same exact mechanics as switching to my welder and using it on an unbuilt/building structure? In this case, can the E-welder be blocked by my teammates, can I damage lifeforms with it, and does it repair damaged structures that are being built? Or does it simply act like using E but with a faster build time on destroyed power nodes?

Also, are there still plans to remove power node and cyst dependency from the game?
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited February 2016
    So welder doesn't go away when I let go of e. The fuck.

edit: looks like this was covered lel
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cant say I see the value in fixing something that's broken with a broken fix... but really at this point what is even the point of bringing these topics up? The simplifying NS2 topic has basically proved that time and time again, nothing of value in terms of gameplay will be done.... You seem so interested in making sure new players that buy the game stick around... shame not one person thought of keeping those few left around and/or bringing some back with balance changes that drive interest.

I've never been one to dance around issues, and recent patches have some clear changes and others that just seem like personal projects. Cant say I have all the facts from behind the scenes, but just my 2¢
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Additionally, you can no longer search only non-rookie servers in the server browser.
  • Sgt_SassSgt_Sass Join Date: 2016-02-13 Member: 213004Members
    Love the welder change, good stuff. A shame the rookie cutoff is at 5 though. I bought the game during the Steam sale and just hit level 6. /sadtrombone
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    Golden wrote: »
    @remi The welder on use key is a nerf to marines who are building. People used the build tool even when they had welders because of the low swap delay to bring your weapon up. I would have to drop my welder to have this now.

This please. It also really pisses off people who want to use pistol on last inv hotkey. Please revert ASAP.

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2016
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »
    It also really pisses off people who want to use pistol on last inv hotkey.

Can you explain? The way it is implemented it shouldn't impact your last weapon switching. It should actually work better than before in this regard. If this is not working in that way, it is something I will fix.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @Remi, it uses welder as last used.. If anything what should be done for clarity is remove welders building structures. Then its clear the builder builds and the welder welds. Otherwise this is just pissing off older players and making them relearn muscle memories for no reason. There's no reason the welder should build more silently than usual anyway.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited February 2016
    Frozen wrote: »
    @Remi, it uses welder as last used.. If anything what should be done for clarity is remove welders building structures. Then its clear the builder builds and the welder welds. Otherwise this is just pissing off older players and making them relearn muscle memories for no reason. There's no reason the welder should build more silently than usual anyway.

Frozen brings up a good point. You could have the E key or builder key just build (building structures initially or allow for building a broken power node) and the welder can only repair structures and players armor. You could do this, but maybe there is some balance ideas where the res it takes to buy a welder and the faster building of power is a good trade off to have in the game.

How bout this thought, it keeps the current system in place, but makes it more clear to rookies or people that don't get the difference. When you attempt to build without a welder, have a little icon or some description indicating you are building slower because you don't have a welder. And when someone has a welder and is building some description indicating welder - faster build time. I think that makes it really clear what is happening. If that is already in the game, then forget I said anything.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @remi - Would you please consider the idea raised again by @Ghoul where all powernodes spawn broken and we remove powernode blueprints entirely? Thus removing all this crazy confusion and leaving powernodes with a very simple build/break principle.

Nodes could spawn at 50% so initial builds without welder aren't slowed too much.
    edited February 2016
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @remi - Would you please consider the idea raised again by @Ghoul where all powernodes spawn broken and we remove powernode blueprints entirely? Thus removing all this crazy confusion and leaving powernodes with a very simple build/break principle.

Nodes could spawn at 50% so initial builds without welder aren't slowed too much.

I like the idea of the spawning broken powernodes and the 50% idea or something similar. Only marine start would have power fully built at first and have full lighting. Then the other middle ground rooms would half less light, but marines would still be able to see. It would create a different atmosphere to the game which they might already be working on.

I think building things that are untouchable to a certain moment is confusing to new players. Also, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Gone would be the days of rookies trying to bite a power node they can't touch. I wouldn't be surprised if that has happened.

It also might be interesting if aliens can take down the power in all 50% rooms right at the beginning if they choose. It gives away their position, but it also makes it harder for marines to take a room at first. Might be interesting.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Deck_ wrote: »
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

I like the idea of the spawning broken powernodes and the 50% idea or something similar. Only marine start would have power fully built at first and have full lighting. Then the other middle ground rooms would half less light, but marines would still be able to see. It would create a different atmosphere to the game which they might already be working on.

I think building things that are untouchable to a certain moment is confusing to new players. Also, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Gone would be the days of rookies trying to bite a power node they can't touch. I wouldn't be surprised if that has happened.

It also might be interesting if aliens can take down the power in all 50% rooms right at the beginning if they choose. It gives away their position, but it also makes it harder for marines to take a room at first. Might be interesting.

Finally something that makes sense. Much better than the convoluted prime power node idea. 50% halfway lighting would fit the NS2 theme greatly.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    or just have powernodes function like every other marine building... unsocketed on round start, ghosted when socketed initially, can be poofed by aliens. once the building starts they can be killed like normal.
    edited February 2016
    xDragon wrote: »
    or just have powernodes function like every other marine building... unsocketed on round start, ghosted when socketed initially, can be poofed by aliens. once the building starts they can be killed like normal.

This idea also works. This could also keep the idea of less light or different lighting in rooms that don't have power built yet.

What I liked about the 50% idea was marines could build res towers faster at first because they would start at 50% if aliens didn't get a chance to take it down yet. So the middle of the map res towers you could get up quickly some of the time if you push out of marine start, but the one's closer to alien base you would probably have to take longer to build. Your idea might be better as it wouldn't force aliens to think about which power nodes to get down early game. I'm not sure if the 50% idea would play well gameplay wise, but I was curious if it was playtested.

Either your idea or the 50% idea could be better/less confusing than what we currently have.
  • nanonoobnanonoob Join Date: 2016-01-12 Member: 211315Members
  • moscowmoscow Join Date: 2016-02-24 Member: 213416Members
    edited February 2016
    I'm getting a black screen when I try to open console on this version. Using Windows 7, not Linux. Is this a known problem?

Nevermind. Fixed itself somehow.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    edit: Also, Wooza's 46 player server running "ns2large" appears as ranked? What's up with that?

@F0rdPrefect Is there a problem with that? Since more than one year Hive is whitelisten my servers and from what I observed is that the Hive skill works with mixed sized servers well

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    @wooza
    The problem is, that servers with unsupported mods are not whitelisted but a unsupported serversize is.
    Makes no sense to me overall.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    dePARA wrote: »
    @wooza
    The problem is, that servers with unsupported mods are not whitelisted but a unsupported serversize is.
    Makes no sense to me overall.

No wonder hive works so great.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    xDragon wrote: »

This is the correct answer. Why would powernodes function any differently from all other structures.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I could tape my mouse to my foot, go on woozas, be completely useless, win because my impact is so small and gain elo.

Makes sense.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited February 2016
    wooza wrote: »
    edit: Also, Wooza's 46 player server running "ns2large" appears as ranked? What's up with that?

@F0rdPrefect Is there a problem with that? Since more than one year Hive is whitelisten my servers and from what I observed is that the Hive skill works with mixed sized servers well

As far as I was aware ns2 is explicitly not officially balanced above 24 players, and I thought you're running some balance mods. (And yes, I am aware that this *theoretically* evens out, however, activating hive skill basically equals to UWE/the CDT acknowledging that your balancing is just as good as theirs.)

edit @wooza
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Been playing with the primed power nodes mod for over a year now. Glad to see its going in officially. The 'swap time' issue with the welder could be looked into for those who are concerned about it, but overall it is an intuitive change. Intro video was entertaining, good work!