Someone tell me why players smurf in NS2

meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
edited February 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
So I've often seen smurfs get votekicked on decent servers, which is great.

I just wanna know why. Why?

Literally the only justifications for smurfing I can think of are
  • try and devalue the skill system for some reason
  • troll other players because they enjoy ruining games for newbies
  • to feel like a special little snowflake that's good at the game, to make up for the inadequacies they feel when facing other similarly or higher skilled players
  • Support the game by buying multiple copies (This is literally the best thing I can think of to support it, but still makes no sense).

Anyone know any skilled people that use smurf accounts? What's their internal justification to themselves or to their friends for using a smurf account?

Edit- actually I dont even care, making a thread about it just kinda gives them credence. Delete thread unless anyone has any useful input

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    I think one more would be, if they play on their main account they get recognized and get hate for stomping. So instead they smurf to play on any server they please... However, their playstyle (positioning/aiming/situational awareness) kinda negates that entire point :D

For the rest, I think you've got it covered... I agree, that I do not agree with playing at 100% skill vs players that are lower in skill to you. If I happen to be in a position where my current pubstar status is above the server skilllevel (any game really), I usually take it down a notch and let them play and help out the team where I can to keep us alive... And sometimes for a few brief moments I go all out, not trying to wreck their day by melting their precious Onos/Fade. I just like to scare them away in some situations :tongue: I've been told I play games a lot differently from other players... But I've never seen the need to smurf, cause I adapt my playstyle... Smurfing... It's kinda weird, right up there with this new word I once heard called "tryhard". Playing the game as it should be played is now a sin? Oh well xD

[edit vs your edit]
    It would be interesting would it not, if "bad/stomper/good/incognito" smurfs have the balls to come up in here and explain their shenanigans :D Mostly because I'm kinda curious myself what motivates them... Mostly
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    One reason I know they do it is so they can command or gorge without the skill system balancing against their obscene hive skill values.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    joshhh wrote: »
    How many people do you honestly think buy alt accounts just to invade rookie only servers? I honestly don't think there are that many people that do it.

I have an alt. I know several people that do. The alt account has 300 hours and has a hive score of 2500. I don't go in any server that I wouldn't with my main. The only reason I have it is because the current hive system is broken. When on my main... every game is elo shuffled so I would essentially get a team full of new/lesser skilled players to balance out my broken elo score. I couldn't ever gorge or screw around since the shuffle expected me to carry... Sometimes I want a relaxing game where I could lerk (my lerk is worst NA btw), gorge or comm.

If there actually are players who buy alts to play in rookie only servers, then that's pretty dumb. I guess I've never been in one so I wasn't aware its an issue. I can say with a pretty high level of confidence that high level comp players wouldn't be the ones to do this.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @nordic why do you think I've smurfed? I haven't lol. If it's because I mentioned going from 1200-2500 recently that was because I didnt play from Oct '13 - Spring '15 and I didn't really have ELO.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    If I am wrong, then I am wrong. I though I read you recently say you used an alt-account you used on the no rookies pub. It appears I am wrong, very wrong.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Its fine, I guess it turned out like that experiment wise. I always asked for them to use elo formed by games on that server only after that
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members

• to feel like a special little snowflake that's good at the game, to make up for the inadequacies they feel when facing other similarly or higher skilled players
    • Support the game by buying multiple copies (This is literally the best thing I can think of to support it, but still makes no sense).

Anyone know any skilled people that use smurf accounts? What's their internal justification to themselves or to their friends for using a smurf account?

Edit- actually I dont even care, making a thread about it just kinda gives them credence. Delete thread unless anyone has any useful input

way i see it they either got banned and had to buy another account or they are purposefully trolling (or some weird skill loss bug happened???)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Nordic wrote: »
    One reason I know they do it is so they can command or gorge without the skill system balancing against their obscene hive skill values.

This is actually the most legit reason I can think of.

Its a shame I never actually see this in practice, it's usually smurf > straight to marine team before shuffle, stays there for days.
    You would not know it if you saw it, hence the point of smurfing.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I haven't seen this topic before
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    When it's on sale, I imagine some ppl do it for shits and giggles. Anonymity is an internet perk except for when you're already known within a community. Maybe they do it to lerk (yup) deviously in the shadows of their own community and just behave badly without fear of reprise.

Maybe cuz it's a cheap way to expand the amount of servers they can play on, esp since bootcamp.

I do have at least one steam buddy I've encountered in smurf form while speccing a rookies only game. As has been mentioned for other's, his reasoning was that it was an account he created just to comm with but couldn't yet get into chairs yet due to rookie status.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Smurfs...just dont see the point, there is 0 reason why any player should find the need to play on a smurf account, they want to play gorge or command? then just do it??

Playing on a smurf account just ruins the game for everyone on the server as all that it does is induce a stack, i have NEVER yet seen a "Smurf" go gorge or command. SO saying thats all you want is just stupid.

Random teams can be bad enough as it is, but then throwing these losers into it just dont help.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members

I always remembered you as one of those smurf apologists. Surprised to see you write this. But I agree with the sentiment.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Because when you try to pub with other high-skill friends badmins get annoyed and split or kick you even though you just wanna troll and have fun. Pubs are too serious apparently.
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    edited February 2016
    You don't need to rebuy the game to make a smurf account, I already made a post about that but people said it didn't matter and were against it. And they are the same people who are against smurf on this topic. Have fun banning them when you don't want to prevent them from making multiple free accounts with 1 key :) .

I started to use one for com because i already got ejected while playing with my main account. It was either because "your elo is to high you need to play on the feild" or "you just go com to troll, you know we are going to lose". I got the same shit while playing gorge, with some players rage quiting mid games. Last time i went com it was on Thirsty onos, i went com 10 games in a row, 2 win and 8 lost. And of course the server was empty after that.

The system is broken for an eternity, and you don't need a hive 2.0 to fix it. The blame is not on the players, it's never on the players, it' the dev job to find solution.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Shall we talk about developers using smurf? :D
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2016
    I was going to quote myself but @Calego beat me to it.

Alt account users usually fall within one of two categories.

1. You're a shtbag and want to stomp rookie only servers or troll normal pub servers behind your anonymity
    or
    2. You typically are a skilled player and are sick of tryharding in every pub because shuffle forces you to carry. On my alt I often comm and have been attempting to learn lerk... which usually results in my team losing. My lerk is that good. :expressionless:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2016
    Alright that's it, intervention time! Please let's all stop using the word tryhard(ing) :'( It's the cancer of the gaming world, glorifying being bad at games, made up by those very same scrubs to go against the "oh so bad" competitive nature of games. Everyone needs to feel special...

"You're such a tryhard"

"No!!! You just re-he-he-heally suck, I'm not even trying just pubbing. Also called, just playing the damn game"

So yknow, let's instead call it "playing the damn game" :D
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Since it was my post that you were referring to... let me clear it up. To me I can 'tryhard' aka play a pub like it was a match or... I can do silly things like gorge in weird spots, try different strats as comm, attack rooms with 5 marines in it with a lerk... etc. Essentially silly things that are more fun than beneficial to winning.

I do acknowledge that people misuse the phrase but in my case, I was being literal.
    Fair enuf! However I still think we need a different word for that, is all :tongue:
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I always remembered you as one of those smurf apologists. Surprised to see you write this. But I agree with the sentiment.

Never agreed with smurfing.
    Never had a problem with playing with/against high skill players as long as they make an effort to keep the teams balanced.
    edited February 2016
    Because when you try to pub with other high-skill friends badmins get annoyed and split or kick you even though you just wanna troll and have fun. Pubs are too serious apparently.

So, would you say the point of this explanation is-
    [*] troll other players because they enjoy ruining games for newbies
    OR
    Because you want to play on the same team as a friend, without the pressure of a match- With the caveat that they do not care about the impact this has on other players.

Assuming it's the latter, I still honestly do not know what to say to you because you clearly realise this fucks the game for everyone else on the server, and ultimately hurts the game as a community.

What i'm interested in is coming to some kind of resolution, wherein-
    You get to have fun and enhance your bro-bonds with other players
    You are not forced to create smurf accounts to deceive the skill balancing neccesary for pub games to not feel like a stomp.
    Games aren't ruined by 2+ high div players stacking a single team.

I'm open to suggestions, lets hear them. Plz provide useful input outside of "community needs to be larger" because that's not something that can be controlled by us at the moment, besides simply not smurfing in order to stack and ultimately hurt retention rates anyway.

Honestly I dont even know why it matters to you that you're on the same team in a pub game as your friend. When my mumble buddies join me in game we enjoy playing against eachother just as much as with eachother. What gives?

EDIT: Ugh, after re-reading a couple of times I actually realised that in answer to my original question "TELL ME WHY PLAYERS SMURF IN NS2", the answer is literally just-
    To stack.

So now we're back to the old 'omg stackersss!!222' threads fuck me this is going nowhere
  • TinkiTinki Join Date: 2013-12-03 Member: 189715Members
    Koujin_San even tryhard in forums
    The real issue is you don't need to "tryhard" to "stomp" once you're good at this game. You go in a game and you have to actively try to not ruin it.

The only way you can do this is by starting on one team, stomping, then switching teams and trying to win from the major disadvantage you caused.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Tinki wrote: »
    Oh hi, you made it this far?
    Amused-gif.gif?gs=a
    Well than, I guess ya busted me!

Apparently you didn't try hard enough Kouji, someone disagreed with you.
    edited February 2016
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Tinki wrote: »
    Oh hi, you made it this far?
    Amused-gif.gif?gs=a
    Well than, I guess ya busted me!

Apparently you didn't try hard enough Kouji, someone disagreed with you.

Oh really? Well I gues it's fine, he's the one that busted me so I shall allow this infraction :tongue:
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Locklear's 2 possible answers pretty much resolves this thread.

As for @Cr4zyb4st4rd 's scenario of not being able to team up with your other high level player on the same team : I have no sympathy for you. ;)

Split up / command /gorge and do your best not to imbalance a round.. knowing you have the potential to easily dictate the outcome of a round means you have a responsibility to ensure the rest of the lower level players in the server still have an enjoyable experience. If this is too much to ask of a vet, (and as someone who does it allll the time I do not believe it is) then you probably should not be playing there.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016

Games aren't ruined by 2+ high div players stacking a single team.
    Yes they are. In most servers one high skill player is enough to "stack" a team. The only place you can get away with it is wooza or other 40+ slot servers. Anything less that and one good player can easily clean up multiple opponents and have an extreme impact on the game.

Why should I be forced all of the time to play against my friends? If I even play pub it is above all else to have fun. But the atrocious skill balancing system forces me into teams I don't want.
    Ever had to play and lose alien 5 maps in a row be a use hive likes to shit shuffle you? Guess what I don't enjoy having an incapable team that is only "balanced" because my high elo makes shuffle think it's fair. While the other teams avg elo per player is substantially higher that's why smurfs happen.

Fix the ass awful balance so I don't need to be relied on for my team to achieve something. I haven't played pubs in a long time because honestly admins hate on high skill players and shuffle doesn't take into account anything other than an utterly useless elo value.

I have no fun when im being forced into losing teams because the admin doesn't want to lose. I have no fun when admins abuse their power to sv_slay me because I'm better than pubbers.

So yes I used to smurf on pubs to avoid the bullshit that people either expect or admins force out of me and I will happily do it again in the future.

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I dont love smurfs, but I hate even more when votes come up to kick high skilled players from pubs simply because pubbers can't figure out how to team up against these players. God forbid they communicate in a team based game. Easier to vote kick I guess.

Especially aggrevating after having to wait myself for 10 min to find an open slot somewhere. Where else are they expected to play with such a small server pool?

Considering this, it's a bit easier to understand what would drive someone like @Cr4zyb4st4rd or anyone else in that upper echelon to smurf.