Why not make NS2 Combat free to play?

RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
edited January 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
Have you guys thought of using NS2 combat as a platform to demo the game mechanics and as a learning pool?

My arguments for it are;

- Bring many new people to NS2 because free to play,
- COD-like deathmatch rules so easier to learn and like
- Teaches rookies how to play the game before they buy NS2, meaning less skill gap once they do
- NS2 server and community would remain the same aka clean of potential F2P trolls
- Effective way to recruit new players for NS2 and help grow the community
- Deserted (2 players average)

steamcharts.com/app/310110

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited January 2016
    seems to me like the new dev team are looking for new game modes for ns2 like last man standing, why dont they just get combat and integrate it into ns2 and then partner with faultline games to work on both ns2 and ns2 combat together.

those who bought combat all get the lmg rifle model as an optional rifle for ns2 as a thankyou for them purchasing ns2 combat and everyone else gets ns2 combat free as part of ns2. The server list would show both ns2 and combat servers
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited January 2016
    Oh something like faded?
    Mods are great, faded, assault, combat etc.. even before NS1 was a mod itself.
    But if it isnt a free2play it wont help new players discover the game.
    Its generous and cool from UWE to let (talented) modders make money off of their IP and code
    But we have seen that unfortunately combat is not selling well nor played.
    Its a waste, this could be used as a trainer mode for NS2 wich was originally aimed to be.
    Give it exposure, making it F2P would recruit many new players that will try out the gameplay and then buy NS2 if they want the full experience.
    Faultline shouldnt grab onto a dead horse that will make them 10$ p year but hey thats just my opinion.
  • _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    edited January 2016
    Combat's not UWE

Wait, isn't UWE NS2: Combat's publisher? So that would indeed make Combat part of UWE, right? Halo has a crap ton of developers, but I'm pretty sure every single spin off of Halo is still part of Microsoft. Fallout: New Vegas? Still part of Bethesda, right? Call Of Duty? Probably still part of Activision.
    and it's not NS2

As in not vanilla NS2? Obviously, but neither is Siege, Faded, or even NS2+. All mods, just like combat was. Or do you mean not in any way related to NS2 at all?
    These forums aren't in any way related to Combat

They used to be when it was still a mod, but as soon as it went standalone, poof! not related to these forums anymore, which is kinda stupid. Does Fallout: New Vegas have a completely separate forum despite having a separate developer? No. Because separating them is a retarded idea.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    NS2:Combat is running on an older version of the engine, it would need to be remade on the newest engine version. which in itself is a task that's too big to handle for the CDT/UWE/FLG, while working on NS2 as well
  • _Grendel__Grendel_ Join Date: 2015-05-07 Member: 204238Members
    edited January 2016
    TBH I'm somewhat glad combat has it's own dedicated dev team (which I guess is why they decided on going standalone?) because they can focus on just combat. I really wish more people played :/ As for the engine:
    Anti_Boson wrote: »
    We are working on updating Combat to the newest version of spark, but our team is far smaller than the CDT's team. We are also working on a substantial content patch (new toys - yay!), so we are having to further split our already small team between the two tasks. That said, the performance update *should* be out sometime this year.

Yes it's the new year and it hasn't been updated yet, but at least it's being worked on.

As for the FTP topic, I know that UWE has many times said NS2 won't go FTP any time soon and if UWE and FLG have any inkling of a normal developer/publisher relationship, UWE makes those calls.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    Combat is made by FLG, an entirely separate company. They have a contract with UWE to sell the game. FLG has their own forums for combat. That is what they decided. It does not matter if you agree with it, it is what it is. Also the guy who made seige mod for ns2 made his own forums too. http://ns2siege.com/

There are 2 limited factors here. 1) UWE and FLG would both have to come into an agreement to merge the two games as per the terms of their contract. 2) Combat would have to be merged into ns2. Ns2's code has changed so much since combat was forked over that it would be a significant undertaking. It could be done but Ns2 developers are already swamped with work.

The sad fact is that Ns2: Combat may never be merged into ns2. I think increasing ns2's playerbase is a more likely thing to happen if that means anything.
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    NS2:Combat is running on an older version of the engine, it would need to be remade on the newest engine version. which in itself is a task that's too big to handle for the CDT/UWE/FLG, while working on NS2 as well

doesnt need to be remade probably just patched up

look at rising storm red orch 2 i mean tey were seperate games but now they are all a part of the same game and it works extremely well
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited January 2016
    I think it could be a good idea... IF they "fixed" combat so it is actually fun to play again. The balance changes they made after launch did nothing but two things...

1- Removed the "fun" and replaced it with "grind"
    2- Made it even easier for skilled players to dominate.

If they rolled the game back to the state it was in at launch, then actually "fixed" the few minor things that were unbalanced, then the game could be fun again.

As it stands now I think making combat free to play would drive people away from ns2 more than it would attract new players.
    edited January 2016
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    I think it could be a good idea... IF they "fixed" combat so it is actually fun to play again. The balance changes they made after launch did nothing but two things...

1- Removed the "fun" and replaced it with "grind"
    2- Made it even easier for skilled players to dominate.

If they rolled the game back to the state it was in at launch, then actually "fixed" the few minor things that were unbalanced, then the game could be fun again.

As it stands now I think making combat free to play would drive people away from ns2 more than it would attract new players.

its difficult to balance a game when your player base consists of about 20 people, bringing it into the same server browser and as a part of the same package on steam as ns2 would greatly increase the number of people playing and the balance issues would become more apparent and easier to recognize and thus fix
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2016
    Its funny that if anything was going to make ns2 popular and/or accessible, it was combat... And UWE jettisoned it into deep space.
    Despite all arguments in this thread to the contrary, it still seems like reuniting the two would not be impossible, but all I see is roadblocks being thrown up. Seperating combat was a bad move commercially-speaking, as many warned at the time. It would be gracious to accept FAULT (haha geddit) and if the motivator was truly for this game to succeed, combat would be recognised as crucial to this goal.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its funny that if anything was going to make ns2 popular and/or accessible, it was combat... And UWE jettisoned it into deep space

I just hope they will learn from all of these mistakes one day for when they make Natural Selection 40k
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Its funny that if anything was going to make ns2 popular and/or accessible, it was combat... And UWE jettisoned it into deep space

I just hope they will learn from all of these mistakes one day for when they make Natural Selection 40k

Who knows, when I think of things like [the departure of ns2:combat so UWE can become a 'publisher'] and "UWE wants to create a hit game machine" it all seems like UWE has some megalomaniacal tendancies that will only limit its growth in years to come.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Would it be possible that you have a link for buying ns2 combat in ns2 main menu and also a button that switches from ns2 to ns2 combat? This means that would be 2 different games but more accessible over the other. So that would make it feel like a DLC for ns2
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

look at rising storm red orch 2 i mean tey were seperate games but now they are all a part of the same game and it works extremely well

"just patched up" is not actually what needs to be done, AFAIK combat is very dependent on NS2 lua

-->
    Nordic wrote: »
    2) Combat would have to be merged into ns2. Ns2's code has changed so much since combat was forked over that it would be a significant undertaking. It could be done but Ns2 developers are already swamped with work.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    _Grendel_ wrote: »
    Combat's not UWE

Wait, isn't UWE NS2: Combat's publisher? So that would indeed make Combat part of UWE, right? Halo has a crap ton of developers, but I'm pretty sure every single spin off of Halo is still part of Microsoft. Fallout: New Vegas? Still part of Bethesda, right? Call Of Duty? Probably still part of Activision.
    From the Aforementioned thread by one of FLG's devs:
    Anti_Boson wrote: »
    Long story short, NS2: Combat was and still is being developed by the company those modders founded. The copyright to Combat is contractually shared between UWE and FLG, so it would take an agreement between both parties to merge it with vanilla NS2, something I highly doubt will ever happen. Even if there weren't any legal issues, the amount of work to merge and maintain both games would be astounding, whether or not you or anyone else realizes it.

and it's not NS2

As in not vanilla NS2? Obviously, but neither is Siege, Faded, or even NS2+. All mods, just like combat was. Or do you mean not in any way related to NS2 at all?
    I was referring to how it was no longer contained within the amorphous cloud of all things NS2, in an effort to point out why making suggestions for FLG's game "NS2:Combat" on the UWE Forum dedicated to "NS2" was misplaced. Development wise, these forums have literally nothing to do with FLG's Combat.
    These forums aren't in any way related to Combat

They used to be when it was still a mod, but as soon as it went standalone, poof! not related to these forums anymore, which is kinda stupid. Does Fallout: New Vegas have a completely separate forum despite having a separate developer? No. Because separating them is a retarded idea.

Correct, but just as Subnautica has it's own sub-forum within these UWE forums, NS2:Combat would have it's own sub-forum. FLG decided to split off (probably to build up their own community) and that's why they made their own site and forum.

As tech support questions are best when filed into the "tech support" sub-forum, so anything related to ns2:combat would be best submitted to the ns2:combat forums. I was trying to prevent this thread from simply mirroring the one we literally just had about this topic by pointing out how the OP should push this suggestion to it's proper channels.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    NS2 was never a game for the masses and it never will be.
    So please go away with your F2P!!

Did you ever play a F2P shooter?
    I played Warface for 2 month and it was horrible.
    The average skill in in this game is just laughable. The maps and gamemechanics are so easy to learn and people still struggle there.
    A game like NS2 would be the overkill for this kind of players.
    Im sure they are happy that the mouse is not falling from the desk when moving.

A F2P shooter working this way:
    Give people the feeling that they can own everyone when they invest real money in kinda op weapons.
    The problem is, that most players are so bad in shooters there that these weapons didnt really help them.
    So they have to invest more money for better armor, speed boosts, etc.
    But a player with average shooter skills dont need these payed buffs and can kill them with basic weapons.
    Then the "cheater" whining starts.
    Cant be, a player with basic weapons is better than one with op buyed stuff? This guy MUST be a cheater.

So you have 11 year old kids with an brain-hand coordinataion of an ape who are nonstop whining about cheaters in the end in every round and you wil have endless steam posts about cheaters everywhere.

Is this what you want for NS2?
    Plus troll coms in every round.
    This sound like REAL fun.

Be careful what you wish for - you just might get it

To the Combat devs:
    Whats the point on working on a really dead game instead of bringing it back to NS2?
    You tried your best, it failed now let the son come home again.
    edited January 2016

"just patched up" is not actually what needs to be done, AFAIK combat is very dependent on NS2 lua

-->
    Nordic wrote: »
    2) Combat would have to be merged into ns2. Ns2's code has changed so much since combat was forked over that it would be a significant undertaking. It could be done but Ns2 developers are already swamped with work.

well at the very least offer a dlc package for ns2 with funds going partly to the combat guys.

Combat badge, lmg rifle model for your rifle, marine skin from combat. Charge $10.00 and i would buy it. All the work already done why let it go to waste.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    It's already free compared to the price of your PC... no... only your graphic card or your processor.
    bj4l1z65e6xa.jpg
    edited January 2016
    If UWE cant maintain Combat let Faultline do it.
    This doesnt rule out a possibity of free2play model, in fact it could well be more profitable that way, done well.
    By adding paid skins unlocked in both NS2 and Combat (reinforcement/kodiak/reaper).
    And new weapons like rocket launcher and rail gun sniper? Or new lifeforms! :smiley:
    While I agree NS2 shouldnt be free because of the complexity requiring players willing to learn but Combat is simpler.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    "This doesnt rule out a possibity of free2play model, in fact it could well be more profitable that way, done well."
    Again, both parties would have to agree to it.

"And new weapons like rocket launcher and rail gun sniper? Or new lifeforms! :smiley:"
    I don't like the rocket launcher, but the rail gun sniper pretty much already exists in combat. It is called the Cannon and it is OP as heck.

• 3X4L73X4L7 Join Date: 2014-06-13 Member: 196510Members
    Just mod from scratch? I mean you're taking NS2 and layering combat modifications on top...

I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about, but

Reverse engineering has been around for quite some time.
    3X4L7 wrote: »
    Just mod from scratch? I mean you're taking NS2 and layering combat modifications on top...
    I'm not going to pretend I know what I'm talking about, but
    Reverse engineering has been around for quite some time.
    Again, if both parties did agree to put combat in ns2 it would basically have to be made from scratch. This is no trivial task.

edited January 2016
    Man I havent really even had the chance to play Combat for more than a few hours because servers are empty.
    Why people have to pay for this ? No wonder why it has only bad reviews on steam!

And on top of that NS2 still has very active workshop with community maps, assault, faded, skulk with shotgun, etc...

Im not saying its a bad game but a bad deal.
    It is a nice moba remash of NS2, easier to pick up and train.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    The remaining devs on Combat could totally be hired to join the current NS2 team, they have the skills and would definitely be a great addition to the game. Instead of merging both games, why not simply hire the remaining teams add some content from their side? It's legally not much complicated than when it came to recruit the current UWE members. Sole condition, they'd need those Combat dev to agree, and pretty sure they would.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Said it before and I will say it again, Combat going standalone was one of the worst things to happen to ns2. We lost the players who primarily played combat, and when standalone never took off the players never came back. On top of that we lost a fairly easy drop in and play gamemode for all skill levels.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016
    Pelargir wrote: »
    The remaining devs on Combat could totally be hired .

I am pretty sure they couldn't for the same reason why only specific members of the CDT were hired: small budget.

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited January 2016
    IronHorse wrote: »

I am pretty sure they couldn't for the same reason why only specific members of the CDT were hired: small budget.

Then it leads to another question, why was this new team formed with CDT members since UWE had the ability to hire the previous Combat team to work on NS2 (neutral question). For those who do not follow Combat updates (because it's still being updated regularly), they've added lot of stuff that could totally be implemented on NS2. We've seen DLCs to reward CDT members, we could also see DLC to reward eventually those Combat dev for any stuff they do on NS2 without the need to have a specific contract with them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the current dev team has been hired to keep working on NS2 but the question about picking some people over some others who got the skill and proved well doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    IronHorse wrote: »

Then it leads to another question, why was this new team formed with CDT members since UWE had the ability to hire the previous Combat team to work on NS2 (neutral question).

Because the CDT was already a well organized and formed team that had been developing NS2 regularly for a year?

If you're asking why UWE put money behind NS2 development instead of Combat integration, I can't answer for them but could make an educated guess as to why: like they didn't consider it to be a viable development path for retaining players and the future of NS2?
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'm guessing here, but I imagine these discussions were had with FLG people when FLG was started, and they opted to go their own path, rather an be folded into UWE and be subject to their will and whims (a la subnautica). Also remember that at that point UWE was casting off from NS2.