Creature Suggestion: Hydro Hawk

RaptorfarianRaptorfarian Join Date: 2016-01-29 Member: 212313Members
edited January 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions

Comments

• RaptorfarianRaptorfarian Join Date: 2016-01-29 Member: 212313Members
    edited January 2016
    rk2LX6m.png

Name: Hydro Hawk

Description: Resembles an alien cross between a humboldt squid and a penguin. They have a striking blue pattern and are up to 6ft long with a 9ft wingspan. Their wings are membranous with thin fibres stretchig through alowing adjustments of the feather like tips. They armed with a razor sharp beak and tentacle like limbs. Each limb ends in 2 clawed prongs which it uses to latch and hook on to prey. The jet like structure on it's tail is a symbiotic organism.

Behaviour: The hydro hawk can oftern be seen circling near the edges of kelp vine forests, gently beating their large wings. However once they spot a potential prey item they dart towards it using their jet releasing a stream of bubbles. They then rapidly circle their prey disorientating them before finally latching on with their claws to rip and then bite their prey to death. They oftern latch on to seamoths but quickly let go doing no damage. They are also warded off by other large predators such as stalkers which they will jet away from. Hydro Hawks will occasionally launch themselves out the water gliding for a short period.

Attitude: Aggressive

Biomes: Kelp forest, Mushroom forest

Spawn rarity: uncommon

Chronobiology: Diurnal

Resources:
    Decomposing fish (common)
    Hydro Hawk membrane (uncommon) can be used to make wind turbines and hydrofoils.
    Hydro Hawk jet (rare) Can be combined with an air sack to make a powerful jet that can allow you to blast yourself rapidly in a direction.

IEW8cBt.png

Alternative design.
  • Durumrulle92Durumrulle92 Denmark Join Date: 2016-01-13 Member: 211340Members
    I really like that idea, but i don't think it would be very usefull, i mean like i don't think that people look in the air that much...
    and will care that much, but it's a great design and it's a very very good idea
    I really like that idea, but i don't think it would be very usefull, i mean like i don't think that people look in the air that much...

The creature isn't air based. It flys thrpugh the water much like penguins and ganets do using it's jet to provide additional propulsion.
    Oh ok. Then I would really recommend the owners to add that :)
  • NotAnNSASpyNotAnNSASpy UK Join Date: 2015-12-14 Member: 209978Members
    That's a really great to idea, how about it has nests like birds and the stalkers do. It could at night sit on its eggs and protect them.
    Which version do you guys think is better?
    Perhaps they could spawn in the mushroom forest biomes. Using the giant coral canopys to build small nests on.
    cc92PLR.png

Name: Hydro Hawk

Description: Resembles an alien cross between a humboldt squid and a penguin. They have a striking blue pattern and are up to 6ft long with a 9ft wingspan. Their wings are membranous with thin fibres stretching through allowing adjustments of the feather like tips. They armed with a razor sharp beak and tentacle like limbs. Each limb ends in 2 clawed prongs which it uses to latch and hook on to prey. The jet like structure on its tail is a symbiotic organism.

Behaviour: The hydro hawk can often be seen circling near the canopies of mushroom forests, soaring on their large wings. However once they spot a potential prey item they dart towards it using their jet releasing a stream of bubbles. They then rapidly circle their prey disorientating them before finally latching on with their claws to rip and then bite their prey to death. They often latch on to seamoths but quickly let go doing no damage. They are also warded off by other large predators such as stalkers which they will jet away from. Hydro Hawks will occasionally launch themselves out the water gliding for a short period. Hydro hawks make nests at the top of table coral trees which they aggressively protect.

Attitude: Aggressive

Biomes: Mushroom forest

Spawn rarity: uncommon

Chronobiology: Diurnal

Resources:
    Decomposing fish (common)
    Hydro Hawk egg (common) these are found at their nest sites located at the top of the giant table coral trees in the mushroom forests. They provide a great source of food.
    Hydro Hawk membrane (uncommon) can be used to make wind turbines and hydrofoils.
    Hydro Hawk jet (rare) can be combined with an air sack to make a powerful jet that can allow you to blast yourself rapidly in a direction, to restock the jet additional airsacks are required.

• xXDogeLordXxxXDogeLordXx Doge bed Join Date: 2015-08-03 Member: 206713Members
    I think there better in the upcoming (Or never) Ice biome.
    I think there better in the upcoming (Or never) Ice biome.

How so?
    It just makes a bit more sense or they could appear in both.

Again please elaborate, as part of it's behaviour is built up around the trees in the mushroom biome. I just want to hear your alternative suggestion.

Again please elaborate, as part of it's behaviour is built up around the trees in the mushroom biome. I just want to hear your alternative suggestion.

They look a lot like penguins and could dive in the water to catch prey with there jaws which means it would be easier for it to live and it reminds of how penguins get food.
    edited February 2016
    Yes but they are aquatic. They fly through the water they don't actually fly.
  • darkraptor6darkraptor6 France Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213600Members
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I also like how in your photomerger, it actually looks the part of belonging to Subnautica :D
    Yes but they are aquatic. They fly through the water they don't actually fly.
    No I mean they dive from the icebergs.

Well if you think that with the morphology I've drawn for it that it would even be able to go up on to land then sure. But I have to disagree with you.
  • RasandeRasande Canada Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213655Members
    Well if you think that with the morphology I've drawn for it that it would even be able to go up on to land then sure. But I have to disagree with you.

I think he's saying that they look similar to a penguin and thus it might behave like a penguin. He was suggesting that they could live in both the possible Arctic biome and the mushroom biome, underwater of course, since penguins don't fly but rather "fly" through the water. The Hydro Hawk, as you have said, would live exclusively under the sea.

I love this concept. It would be neat to see something like this in-game.
    Rasande wrote: »

I think he's saying that they look similar to a penguin and thus it might behave like a penguin. He was suggesting that they could live in both the possible Arctic biome and the mushroom biome, underwater of course, since penguins don't fly but rather "fly" through the water. The Hydro Hawk, as you have said, would live exclusively under the sea.

I love this concept. It would be neat to see something like this in-game.

This is what I was trying to say.
  • mndfreezemndfreeze Grand Tempe Reef Join Date: 2016-02-26 Member: 213456Members
    I like it. It should def go in a biome that currently doesn't have any aggressive fauna. I like the mushroom forest. While I think the kelp zone also fits I think it already had enough danger for a player and since it's a required noob zone for crafting prob should keep this to mush alone or mush and another later game biome.
    mndfreeze wrote: »
    I like it. It should def go in a biome that currently doesn't have any aggressive fauna. I like the mushroom forest. While I think the kelp zone also fits I think it already had enough danger for a player and since it's a required noob zone for crafting prob should keep this to mush alone or mush and another later game biome.
    Now thinking about it should stay in mushroom biome as it would be nice to have a day/night time baddie
  • TheJewelOfJoolTheJewelOfJool Southwestern Ontario Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211261Members
    This would be awesome in the game.