[Port] ns2_hera

KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited January 2016 in Mapping
Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=608817889
Overview (updated):
qJgLfQ2.jpg

Yesterday I decided to mess around and perform a direct ns_hera import from NS1 so that we at least have something to play on....it actually came out pretty good. Yes I know it's not a fantastic layout but so I've made a few changes to at least make things a little better. I've thrown in a few basic entities to allow people to have a few games on it. This is a greybox only and has no occlusions as of yet....so performance may be a little crappy for some. A few other changes include:

- Removed of all doors
- Added ladders to existing ladder locations
- Added a tech point into Holoroom (5 in total)
- Added basic lighting
- Pathing has been setup for drifters, etc....might not be amazing due to some rooms having multiple floors

I'm not sure exactly what my plans are with this but I may or may not develop this further depending on community interest. Just briefly, I've been brainstorming a few high level layout designs, this is what I've come up with so far with the last one being my preference so far.

http://imgur.com/a/OLgcN

So yeah....enjoy I guess :)

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    played a direct port of this like 1 month ago so theres probably one out already still
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sooooo... How many version of Hera do we have now? I know @Rusty from DMD has a port, another group has an NS2 remake and now yourself? Lol?
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016
    There is an existing port but its no longer being worked on as far as I know.

My advice is that you really need to keep it 4 tp not add in a 5th (if you keep it at current size), you also need to make the map BIGGER to account for the sizing of ns2 entites / models vs ns1 / valves hammer editor. you need to scale the map up by either x1.5 or x2 (in all directions, then maybe the layout will work and you could look at adding in a 5th tp).

I would also suggest adding in a vent between cargo and maintenance corridor
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    There's the Janos/Alibi version that's not available, Mal's version that was taken down from the workshop (video of it at SCC), and apparently Rusty has one he ported. I say every mapper needs his own version of Hera, so go for it. :D
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Unless it's smaller than tram, it doesn't need to be bigger.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I say every mapper needs his own version of Hera, so go for it. :D

f07RgRq.jpg
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

I agree. As a test, yesterday I ran around the outside of the map as a marine. It pretty much takes 11 seconds to reach each res node sprinting.
    Loki wrote: »

Yeah that whole section needs to be reworked because that elevator will need to go as well.

Happy to work on any of the other ports if they are still working on them. Likewise if they want to join in on this.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I dont care who's making it, but I personally would love any decent version of hera. Thanks for your effort so far.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Have you finished this yet? NS2 has been out 3.5 years and no-one has completed a Hera remake yet..
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    Kalopsia wrote: »
    I say every mapper needs his own version of Hera, so go for it. :D

f07RgRq.jpg
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

I agree. As a test, yesterday I ran around the outside of the map as a marine. It pretty much takes 11 seconds to reach each res node sprinting.

Yeah that whole section needs to be reworked because that elevator will need to go as well.

Happy to work on any of the other ports if they are still working on them. Likewise if they want to join in on this.

I laughed way too hard at that, my neighbours came over for an intervention...

I will eventually :D
    12681917525_d473d9e0fe_o.png
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Im still pining for ns2_bast, now THATS a map I could get behind!
    Yojimbo wrote: »

wthout the elevators though im not sure i would be happy
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130726/ns-bast-community-remake

Screenshots are a little dark but I didn't bother remaking it further because as @deathshroud mentioned, lack of elevators was a problem.
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I laughed way too hard at that, my neighbours came over for an intervention...

haha awesome, I felt the Oprah meme was pretty spot on for this situation :P
    if i wasnt working on dark i would probably take on the bast remake

I'm sure stairs were invented before elevators?
    edited January 2016

I'm sure stairs were invented before elevators?

but elevators are 100x more fun than stairs, hell i would settle for escalators though

new dev team should make elevators and trams work, best thing they can do with their time
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    if i wasnt working on dark i would probably take on the bast remake

Yeah, you'd need your full attention for Bast. It's either best Bast or bust.

I'm sorry. :( I'll get my coat.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The original Bast remake destroyed the name of @Mendasp on these forums for a long time :D. I honestly believe, if we had the disagree posts back then, Mendasp would have as many disagrees as he does awesomes for his NS2+ work :D
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Because of the revolving door?
    new dev team should make elevators and trams work, best thing they can do with their time

I agree.

1. Elevators
    2. Custom/larger doors
    It wasn't really any specific changes, people just didn't like the idea of bast being altered. It's pure original NS, and it was considered sacrilege to touch it. Personally I think Mendasp did a great job with the map, and I loved playing it regularly, but I don't think that was universal, especially initially.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2016
    Kalopsia wrote: »

I agree.

1. Elevators
    2. Custom/larger doors

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/List_of_HL1_entities

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=107977815
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited January 2016
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    The original Bast remake destroyed the name of @Mendasp on these forums for a long time :D. I honestly believe, if we had the disagree posts back then, Mendasp would have as many disagrees as he does awesomes for his NS2+ work :D
    That experience made me a lot more careful when approaching changes/feedback, I actually wrote a blog entry about it (link in my sig, I only have 3 entries, it's not hard to find). When I took over Summit I was SUPER careful as I didn't want a repeat of that, eventually I was comfortable enough with my own judgement that I didn't need to pester multiple people about every single change and that carried on to NS2+, and I'm certainly happy with how that went :)

Sorry for the thread derailing.
    Kouji_San wrote: »

I've always been under the assumption (can't recall where I read it) that there's no point using EEM because each official NS2 update breaks the mod? That mod you linked hasn't been updated since 2013, however I haven't actually tested it myself. Is there any truth to that or should I start using it?
    Please please for the love of god someone take on bast, if you do I would more than be happy to pay monies to compensate at the end.

However if you do, please retain its atmosphere of menacing, dark, gritty with its ALIEN inspired theme, none of this "clean" looking business! :(
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Please please for the love of god someone take on bast, if you do I would more than be happy to pay monies to compensate at the end.

However if you do, please retain its atmosphere of menacing, dark, gritty with its ALIEN inspired theme, none of this "clean" looking business! :(

Bast was a great map on NS1 but you can't port it to NS2 like that.
    You have to redo everything and take care about distances / lag / heights / layer etc... In fact every NS1 port (crude) is performing poorly or is impossible (no elevator vs Onos etc).

You can only create a remake (or reboot). It's like this map with Reactor, biodome and Furnace. Suddenly i can't remember the name, but it's clear it can't be ported like that (ladder/elevator and such).

So it's making a new map and nobody can be sure to make something that people will play (custom syndrome), enjoy, and that plays well naturally.
    edited January 2016
    You can only create a remake (or reboot). It's like this map with Reactor, biodome and Furnace. Suddenly i can't remember the name, but it's clear it can't be ported like that (ladder/elevator and such).

Ah good old Origin!
    Killer Monkey remade that one, but it's changed from the original a good bit:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=115795799&searchtext=origin
    A new version has been uploaded to the Steam Workshop (just in time for testing tomorrow).

As mentioned previously, please focus on the layout, tech/res locations, distance between key areas, etc. Ignore the long corridors at the moment until the layout has been finalised.

Overview
    qJgLfQ2.jpg

Changes
    - Changed to fixed spawn locations (Marines always start in loading bay)
    - Removed tech point from holoroom
    - Widened corridors to help with testing
    - Added additional entry into Vent hive
    - Updated Processing layout
    - Updated Holo
    - Updated Cargo
    - Added stairwell to Maintenance Corridor for testing
    - Added sample props around the map
    - Added glass material to several rooms
    I haven't run around this yet, but if you have long corridors with easy LOS for marines, drop in a crate or two for temporary cover. It'll be difficult to test layout if the aliens get wiped in an empty corridor with no means of escape.