NS2_Fracture

124»

Comments

• MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Hi, I didn't see any playtest of the latest version of fracture. I would be interested in seeing how the map turns out in terms of competitive play and balance.
    By the way, awesome work on the map, it's beautiful even though it lacks textures at the moment. But love what you did with the I think it is called 'Ceremony' room and more generally with the art direction. Beautiful and original. Ride on
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Howser is a slacker. He doesn't want to improve his map. :)

Actually, he didn't change anything since the latest version that was already playtested by SCC & some competitive players just after. I don't think there's any available replay though but other maps had been updated lately and that's the definitely why there's no more playtests for now.

By the way, I'm not so sure you'll be playtest tonight 'cause of the Football World Cup, isn't it?
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Other maps have been updated recently ? Which ones ?

When was the last fracture playtest btw ?
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Around 1st June I guess.

Temple, Caged & Prison for instance.
    And what came out of these playtests ? I'm not so thrilled about Caged, and I barely know Temple and Prison. But Fracture and most especially Relic look gorgeous.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I recorded video for the updated version of Fracture and also streamed it. Currently on a phone, not online at the moment due to personal circumstances, but when I get sorted and back online, I will upload the video from my PC, assuming there are no new recordings made by others, or major map updates in the meantime.
    Nice thanks, don't forget to publish the link here once it's done. Really looking forward to seeing this. Btw, if you streamed it, isn't it still on the "past broadcast" category ? (if you use twitch)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Well the original stream is here:

http://www.twitch.tv/soulrider/b/534455248

It is 3hs 41mins long, but obviously that is more than just fracture. I don't know at what point we played fracture, so you'll have to just search or watch all of the maps we tested that night.

There are the occasional breaks in it, where I leave the desk for a few minutes. I struggle to sit there for that long without a break :D
    Don't worry about it, I'm used to unedited twitch stream replays xD That's not a problem. Thank you. What other maps do you played ? (if you can remember) I'm gonna watch it later today
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I've been taking a break to learn some animation and do some modding, and having bit of a rest from ns2 mapping in general.
    The problem room is coldstorage, its the last area that I'm not happy with. when I think of a solid design/layout for that tech point I'll get working on it again.
    Generally speaking the map seems to have more success with organised games. The layout will allow aliens to just sit back on their 3 'natural' RT's even marines don't keep the pressure and harassment up.
    As a four tp map I need each tech point to be solid but I'd also like them to be original. The bottleneck is getting inspiration/ideas. Might be worth waiting a month or so for me to figure out and rework that section.
    Impo, I don't particularly like the long narrow hallways in this map. Never actually played this map in pubs or pugs yet (even though I'd really like), so I hope they're not unbalancing the whole thing (deadly for lerks, fades and onos, doesn't allow ambushes anymore). I particularly hate the one in Veil connecting Cargo to Dome.
    Anyway, I hope Fracture will be played in competitive games :)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @Howser‌
    In June 2013 you posted screenshots with new textures. I'm confused a little as they aren't in the current version. I may have missed a page or two but is it scheduled so the textures (with little details) will come back ?

If only we had a Props exporter for Blender you could use prop and make it faster as a lot of structures like pillars are the same all other the map.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    @Howser‌
    In June 2013 you posted screenshots with new textures. I'm confused a little as they aren't in the current version. I may have missed a page or two but is it scheduled so the textures (with little details) will come back ?

If only we had a Props exporter for Blender you could use prop and make it faster as a lot of structures like pillars are the same all other the map.

Which screenshots are you talking about?

I don't think this is being worked on anymore. :(
    Howser is working on UE4 stuff, I don't think fracture will be finished, but who knows...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Howser wrote: »
    I've been taking a break to learn some animation and do some modding, and having bit of a rest from ns2 mapping in general.
    The problem room is coldstorage, its the last area that I'm not happy with. when I think of a solid design/layout for that tech point I'll get working on it again.
    Generally speaking the map seems to have more success with organised games. The layout will allow aliens to just sit back on their 3 'natural' RT's even marines don't keep the pressure and harassment up.
    As a four tp map I need each tech point to be solid but I'd also like them to be original. The bottleneck is getting inspiration/ideas. Might be worth waiting a month or so for me to figure out and rework that section.

Or...
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Which screenshots are you talking about?
    I don't think this is being worked on anymore. :(

Page "one" of this thread. You can't miss it.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    The project is on hold for now, I intend to finish off cold storage and tidy up some bugs. seems unfair to leave it in Its current state. But that will probably be the end of it tbh.

I spent over 18 months solidly working on ns2 content to find myself at a crossroads. The level design is more or less done... but to give it the visual polish I wanted it would take atleast another year. Given NS2 appears to be crawling towards the end of its life, limitations of the workshop and the engine I cannot really justify putting that time into it.

As soulrider said I have been learning unreal 4 and getting involved in developing for the oculus rift. Its hard to stick with the old when there's so many exciting things open for development.

It taught me hell of a lot about level design and making models, textures and even game design. Its been a hugely enjoyable endeavour but everything runs Its course and NS2 and I have ran ours... at least as far as mapping is concerned anyway

As for the old texture set and content... there's a lot I didn't release, I reached the max size for the workshop. The idea was to test what I needed to and just save the rest for some sort of packed released.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    This projekt is on hold for the moment howser is trying to find the newest verision of the map (it's on a old harddrive)
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Workshop version isn't the newest version?
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Nope he countinued secretly. One good example is that you won't see the screenshoted room on the workshop in the actual map.