Bootcamp Update - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited January 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBootcamp Update - Natural Selection 2

Today we’ve released a small update called ‘Bootcamp.’ Bootcamp aims to create more welcoming learning environments for new Natural Selection 2 players. It does this by allowing servers to restrict...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Big shoutout to @ghoulofgsg9 for putting together this update and pushing for its release!
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Rookie Friendly servers should be allowed again so that when a new player is looking for a non rookie only server but wants one where they can still get help ect they can find such a thing. Rookie Friendly servers are still needed to help new players as they transition from only playing against complete noobs to players who actually know what they are doing.

The strategies and tactics they learn playing against bots and only other rookies can be detrimental against actually skilled opponents. Having rookie friendly servers gives these new players a place to play against highly skilled opponents but in an environment which is welcoming and understanding to their needs and therefore helps these players have a good experience and learn the higher level skills of the game.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    Part courtesy of @Martigen

How about letting experienced players able to go into the command chair aswell as spectate?

This would provide the best of both worlds, rookies get to learn tactics, strategies and follow orders from experienced players.

Experienced players get to be part of something more than just sit in spectate twiddling their thumbs.

Perhaps integrate a vote system akin to SHINE that enables rookies to nominate which experienced player they want as commander that automatically places said commander in the chair prior to round start.

The question you then have is, how would you make it so that experienced players wouldn't be able to influence gameplay i.e. if chair/hive was destroyed yet a secondary techpoint remained?

***Update***

Perhaps a countdown system could be in place that starts once a commander leaves the chair, they would be given an allotted amount of time to re-enter a chair / hive before the timer ends, say 90 seconds? That should be more than enough to get to any part of the map, if he dies, the timer resets til he respawns? If

This can be based off TGNS sudden death mode they had? @Wyzcrak

You could remove this idea entirely because without a commander that opposing team would lose anyhow.

Not that it matters but I believe experienced players will want to do more than just sit and spectate rookies, as good as that idea sounds, experience players will just get bored and leave eventually, if you want to emphasise of letting exp. players spec they'd want to help otherwise there won't be many vets speccing at all.

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    There is no need that "experienced" players can go com there.
    I like the idea that new players can explore stuff by there own.

When you only spectating a round, you are not really involved into the game.
    But an good marinecom can have a huge impact on the game, more than on alienside.
    And what happen if the base is under attck and you have to jump out to defend?
    What happen if one team has a new com and the other team has a veteran as com?

Just let the new players some hrs against there level.
    The polaris war video was an good example, how people can find out things by themself.

And no:
    Rookie friendly didnt solved anything, thank god its gone.
    Most of the unmoderated "rookie friendly" server where only pub stomp areas.
    So the name suggested "ppl are friendly there" but the reality was totally different.

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited January 2016
    After completing the tutorial, or after reaching Hive level 1, they may also join normal servers, but cannot command until reaching Hive level 2.
    Correction: You cannot command until reaching level 3 (non-green), unless you're on a Bootcamp server.
    Players with a Hive rank of higher than two can still join Bootcamp servers, but only as a spectator.
    Reaching level 3 is when you lose your rookie status, so this means only 'green' players can play, while non-green can still join but will only be able to spectate.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Calego wrote: »
    As much as I enjoy helping rookies by commanding, I can agree that letting them go is best for everyone. We'll pick them up once they get the courage to come to the real servers.

Or are forced onto them after hitting level 3. :D
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    edit: seems like the serverbrowser didnt fully refresh all the servers. (so i could only see 2 rookie servers in my region - making me write a rant post about this system)

So there is one full and one almost empty(2players) non rookie server(and 2 full rookie servers), so I guess at this time the system doesnt force me to either play on 200+ ping servers or not play at all.
    Koruyo wrote: »
    edit: seems like the serverbrowser didnt fully refresh all the servers. (so i could only see 2 rookie servers in my region)
    lol, I saw the pre-edit. We'd love to hear your feedback as the situation evolves. ;)
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    no smurfing :P the amount of times i seen someone with PAX badge and some other cool badges joining a "rookie friendly" server being all "friendly" getting 98 - 2 as fade lol its such shame since the players im trying to learn the game end up leaving out of frustration, the ones getting past this phase however i still play with today and have hundreds some thousands hours and are really great players. Just have to stick with this game to fully enjoy, understand and appreciate it. That is why im all for this update great idea!
  • WoehlerWoehler Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188684Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    Get an option to hide rookie only servers.
    And update the skill rating in the server browser to something more descriptive than just two red arrow down. How can I possible make an informed choise from that?
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Maybe a little suggestion: You could add a server browser filter for rookie only to not show up in the list,
  • SamdamanSamdaman USA Join Date: 2015-12-07 Member: 209802Members
    As a server owner, I am excited about this part

"Bootcamp approximates ‘new players’ as any player with a Hive level below three. If a player has such a level , they can join Bootcamp servers. After completing the tutorial, or after reaching Hive level 1, they may also join normal servers, but cannot command until reaching Hive level 2. Players with a Hive rank of higher than two can still join Bootcamp servers, but only as a spectator."

I can't tell you how many times a rookie jumps into a comm chair and ruins the entire game.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2016
    If anyone still thinks that rookies need mentors, or experienced players to learn the game they do not. At least not at first. The two videos below prove it.
    These guys have never played ns2.

These guys had some minor practice before hand but are total rookies.

Woehler wrote: »
    Get an option to hide rookie only servers.
    And update the skill rating in the server browser to something more descriptive than just two red arrow down. How can I possible make an informed choise from that?

There is double up arrows, one up arrow, an equal sign, a single down arrow, and a double down arrow. You are basically seeing that your hive skill is far above the average of every server.
    edited January 2016
    Everyone of the CDT Team should watch the Copenhagen video of blind multiple times before implementing some mechanics to help rookies in future builds.
    I think this video and the comments of blind tells more than multiple pages of discussion here in the forum.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    @Nordic in case of the Civil War, they did have an experienced Khamander though that cynical dude from Britland. And Angry Joe's army was the inexperienced team, but yeah they did have fun but it was a game of rookies vs super rookie marines :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know Kouji. Maybe total rookies was too strong of language. That is in part why I linked both videos. My point still stands.
  • BofBof Join Date: 2013-08-19 Member: 186972Members
    Nice feature, I hope rookies will have more fun playing the game.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Nordic wrote: »
    I know Kouji. Maybe total rookies was too strong of language. That is in part why I linked both videos. My point still stands.

I killed TB with an Onos, all I'm sayin'
    Ah, and about the "we need a way to filter the rookie server"

Just mark some white servers as favorite and sort them this way.
    Problem solved.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can spectators use all chat? It'd be nice to shout out tips, or teach the commanders how to build things.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016
    Can spectators use all chat? It'd be nice to shout out tips, or teach the commanders how to build things.

Yes you can use all chat , that was kinda the intend to let veterans spectate at rookie only servers ;)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Nordic wrote: »
    They can play together and have fun, yes. Having rookies together just remove the time dimension. They make games last longer due to many factors (see videos). On the top of the list : organization. Also they can play for month ignoring that Gorge can use bile bomb... Up to a point it looks like Combat.

They can do that for months. But even if they do that for months, they won't be much of a problem for well organized Vets. Unless someone show them how to efficiently use all the things they can, it'll be like that. You can try this with a completely new map for both sides (vets and rookies), the vets will prevail because of individual / team behavior.
    OP wrote
    Because NS2’s skill curve is so steep, that means a new player might not have the opportunity to get a single kill for several games.
    Such a violent thing. Maybe the so called "kill" shouldn't be the first motivation. Outsmarting (can we say that?) the opponent is way better! Better in the way the opponent is finally put in a shuttle called "Ridiculous & dumb" launched in the void and then crash on a planet called Oblivion. This form of brutality is way better isn't it ? Who never liked a NS game in which everyone do what they're supposed to do (even when it's against instincts) and finally win because of a clever strategy ?
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    They can do that for months. But even if they do that for months, they won't be much of a problem for well organized Vets. Unless someone show them how to efficiently use all the things they can, it'll be like that. You can try this with a completely new map for both sides (vets and rookies), the vets will prevail because of individual / team behavior.
    Its unlikely that they learned nothing from the process. Atleast they will get the very basics down before thrown into the lions pit. They will be bad at the beginning (against mostly equally bad players) but they can't blame "veterans coming to stomp" and "stacking" but only their own inability => Less frustration, early quitters and better learneffect.
    Such a violent thing. Maybe the so called "kill" shouldn't be the first motivation. Outsmarting (can we say that?) the opponent is way better! Better in the way the opponent is finally put in a shuttle called "Ridiculous & dumb" launched in the void and then crash on a planet called Oblivion. This form of brutality is way better isn't it ? Who never liked a NS game in which everyone do what they're supposed to do (even when it's against instincts) and finally win because of a clever strategy ?
    It shouldn't be, but I'm pretty sure that it is for many new players.
    The issue of not knowing how to use bilebomb, or what it even does, should be resolved with the tutorials that @BeigeAlert is working on. Even still, rookies do not need veterans. Let them play the game at their own pace and join the regular servers if they want to, or when they reach level 3. I see no issues here worth mentioning.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only real downside from this is at the short term, splintering the small playerbase and possibly less or not enough players at certain times or regions for non-rookie only servers. Hopefully it works out though and we retain more players by doing this, which would make this a non-issue.

The other day I was trying to play ns2, I had the choice of 180+ ping servers at similar skill level or a 30-100 ping server full rookies, can you guess which one I joined?
    I joined the rookie server, and then I lost 100 hive skill in a single match :tongue:
  • SovereignNS2SovereignNS2 Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186614Members
    edited January 2016
    To be honest this update feels very rushed.

"These bots have been significantly upgraded from the bots you have seen in NS2 in the past."

How are these "significantly upgraded" in any way? The only difference I can see is that the Alien commander uses drifters to build structures. With the way the bots behave now I don't believe this is a positive learning environment for new players. I'm currently sitting here watching two rookies play on aliens in a 6v6 game with bots. I can guarantee you they are not learning the game; this is basically just a sandbox with things that shoot at them.

Having proper bots should imply that when two bot teams face off, the chance of victory for either team should exist. This is currently not true. This game will literally go on forever.

Keep in mind that when rookies play with these bots, this is the impression of the game that they get. They will think that this is how the game plays out normally. How sad is that? Here are some of the things currently wrong with the bots:

ALIENS:
    -**no higher lifeforms**
    -skulks do not go in vents
    -skulks only make a B-line for the marine command chair and don't bite res
    -skulks ignore res blueprints in rooms they own, which means that the alien commander will never be able to place an extractor there

MARINES:
    -no medpack/ammo drops, which means that the marine bots will leave the base, run out of ammo or get hurt (or even die), return to the armory, and repeat. They will never conquer anything.
    -will never buy anything aside from the shotgun, which means that no structure will be ever repaired (command chair included)
    -will never repair power
    -will never construct a phase gate
    -will never claim another tech point
    -will never build a robotics factory, and thus never make ARCs, MACs, or turrets
    -will sit on one base with 200 res forever

Did you guys honestly think this is acceptable behavior to display in front of new players? There are all these things that rookies will never see in boot camp unless there are other rookies who figure it out before them. That means that there is a chance that by the time they graduate this "boot camp" thing, they're still going to go into a normal server with other veterans and get stomped because the game they learned in boot camp was nothing like games played with veterans. At the very least the rookies need to see what's possible before they can get good at in-game mechanics.

At the 52 minute mark of this game (marines are still on one base but with a few rookies on the team) I'm pretty sure I can conclude that this game was devoid of any sort of learning. Nobody has learned how to attack, defend, harass, communicate, or fight in scenarios that aren't marine vs. skulk.

PS, if I try to make my own training match with bots I can't even join a team because I'm not a rookie.
    PS, if I try to make my own training match with bots I can't even join a team because I'm not a rookie.
    Reporting this bug internally