[CRASH] GPU Crashes began with H2.O now happens in ALL GAMES!

AlienPet13AlienPet13 Lakewood WA Join Date: 2016-01-21 Member: 211745Members
output_log.txt
http://pastebin.com/4kdvzsPt

DxDiag.txt
http://pastebin.com/4GHybFai

This is a newly built PC (roughly 3 months old). Never had any trouble until this H2.O update. Display driver crashes on save load, or while in game: all screens go black, "no HDMI input" displayed on main monitor, audible "pop" sound upon event, driver does not recover and requires forced reboot from reset button.

Switched to 'experimental build' was fine for about 40 minutes, then same crash.

Noticed Steam Update, switched back to "stable build" and tried again... same crash.

On three subsequent reboots, graphics failed to initialize and was forced to 'reset' several times until screens started working again. Twice, the same display driver crash while idling at desktop with no games/programs running.

Continue to experience random identical GPU crashes, just as first seen in H2.O version, either while idle, running programs and in ALL OTHER GAMES!!!

I'm beginning to suspect that some kind of permanent damage has been done to my brand new GTX 960, which has been caused by your broken release. Clearly, given the number of people (most of them) experiencing this issue, the update was obviously not tested well (if at all) before release. I have not experienced any such issues before your update, and now it appears there is a persistent problem with my hardware, even when not running your game. I maintain a YouTube gaming channel, and I am now unable to record and upload videos due to this problem.

I have seen at least one other post on the Steam forums of a user having this GPU crash behavior outside running your game.

I enjoy the game (it's one of my top 5 favorites) but I suggest you roll back this release immediately before it damages more systems. I would be happy to ship the damaged hardware to you (at your expense) if you are willing to furnish me with a replacement or compensate me for the expense of buying a new one.

Thanks a lot for completely ruining my day, week, month and for derailing my YouTube channel when I've only just got started! I spent $1700 to build this system specifically for my YouTube channel and am now dead in the water because of your broken update!

Fix your shit!!!!!

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hi there. The GPU crashes currently seen on forums are not affecting Nvidia users, only AMD users as it's specific to AMD user's water shader calculations.

Have you tried uninstalling your Nvidia GPU drivers and getting the latest from Nvidia.com? It sounds like they are corrupt as our game does not affect other games.
  • AlienPet13AlienPet13 Lakewood WA Join Date: 2016-01-21 Member: 211745Members
    It really seems as if you didn't bother to read my initial post very carefully, or simply just skimmed through it, but I did make it clear that my device is now failing regularly, in all games, after it first did due to YOUR GAME. I have not launched Subnautica since having multiple crashes and being unable to play either the latest "stable build" or latest experimental, even in low graphics settings. About 6 attempts to run your game resulted in these crashes, requiring a hard reboot. Thereafter, my GTX 960 now crashes - just like it did from your game - in ALL GAMES and sometimes randomly while idle. If my drivers have been corrupted, then what exactly did you guys put in this update that corrupted it?

I will perform a clean reinstall the latest drivers (which I already have installed), but it is indeed happening to NVIDIA users as well. Check the Steam forums if you don't believe me. One person who tested the H2.O update with two AMD cards and one NVIDIA GTX 960 (same card as mine) reported having graphics driver crashes on all three, and that the update was unplayable.

And obviously I am aware that your game does not effect other games, but if your game damaged my hardware, then clearly the device would have problems in other games as well. I certainly hope that your update did not permanently damage my GPU, but as it is, this problem began with your game and is now an issue for me regardless of which game I play.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2016
    Hi again. Yes, I did read your post carefully and a number of times before making my reply. Based off nearly 10 years in the PC hardware industry, and another 10 years in the Graphics industry, I gave you my advice.

GPUs failing in all games usually indicates either a corrupt GPU driver, or a hardware failure of the device. Being as your PC is newly constructed as you posted, it may have some kind of fault if it cannot handle games.

Our game is not very taxing on systems such as yours, and does not damage them. The reason I can say that, is that we receive emails and feedback from players approximately 1 every minute about Subnautica issues, for months. Our new H2.0 update has been publicly used since December. Yours in the only claim that your hardware has been 'damaged' by our game. I'm sorry, but this is not the case.

It seems more likely based on what you have told me, that:
    1. Your GPU Driver has been corrupted.
    2. Windows is corrupted
    3. You have told us this is a new machine. There is a chance that your GPU might be faulty.
    4. Your system is overheating due to heat building up in the system
    5. Your PSU is unable to provide enough power to your system due to being too small, or failing.
    6. Power cables may not be plugged in properly to your GPU

I've placed these in order of most likely scenario, based off the info in your original post.

The fixes for the above are:

1. Uninstall FULLY your GPU driver, and reinstall a new one from Nvidia.com
    2. You can see if you have corrupt Windows files by opening a command prompt (with admin) and typing sfc /scannow and let it run. It will scan and fix any corrupt system files.
    3. You need to contact your PC manufacturer or if you built it, contact your GPU provider and ask for a new one. If your new GPU cant handle games, it's obviously faulty.
    4. Check to makes sure all fans are spinning on the GPU and system.
    5. If you get a new GPU and it's still happening, it's likely your PSU is failing to deliver the much higher power needed for your dedicated Graphics card and it's crashing out. Firstly, check to make sure it is of high enough Wattage (you'll likely need a 500W PSU or higher). If it's good on Watts, you'll need to contact your PC manufacturer or if you built it, contact your PSU provider and ask for a new one.
    6. Check all power cables plugged into the system (GPU especially).

I must reiterate, our game will not have killed your GPU. It is likely however, our game has shown that your system has some kind of fault (be it software or hardware) that needs to be rectified. Sadly, PC failures can happen at any time.
  • AlienPet13AlienPet13 Lakewood WA Join Date: 2016-01-21 Member: 211745Members
    Thank you for your reply. I will take all of the steps you have outlined.

I'm pretty sure the 650w power supply is adequate but I intend to thoroughly check the entire PC assembly. Not much to this system and what I have are fairly energy efficient components.

Glad to hear your game does not overly tax the GPU as many on the steam forum suggest. I will attempt to replace the card under warranty.

Sorry if I came off overly aggravated... this is very stressful so I hope you understand.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.