Large Aquarium not working?

Lobbyx3Lobbyx3 Israel Join Date: 2016-01-09 Member: 211124Members
Am I not able to place any fishes in the "Large Aquarium" tank???
If I can how do I do that? I don't see any "Open Aquarium" or anything...

Comments

• TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    You have to build a hatch on the aquarium, go inside and then release the fish by right clicking them in your inventory.
  • Lobbyx3Lobbyx3 Israel Join Date: 2016-01-09 Member: 211124Members
  • daeth260daeth260 Hell Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211440Members
    HI. How are you able to build the large aquarium? Thought that wasn't coming out till the farming update.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    @daeth260

It's available in the experimental build.
  • FinrodFinrod Germany Join Date: 2015-09-03 Member: 207683Members
    And how do you get big fishes in there?
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Finrod wrote: »

You don't I think, only edible fish are able to be put in there.
  • DreacosDreacos Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203919Members

You don't I think, only edible fish are able to be put in there.

You can also put Floaters in there, if you are a fan of sudden and catastrophic hull integrity failures :smiley:
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members

Eventually when they add eggs, I believe they can be hatched inside, and you could (in theory) put a stalker in there. At least that's what the concept art shows. Dunno if that is planned, but it would be cool.
    I remember there was a picture where the aquarium is connected directly to the outside hull with a tunnel and a bulkhead door, maybe that will be added later?
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    You can put 2 of the same fish in there and they will breed. I have a thriving population of 30+ fish in mine, I have to clear them out from time to time lol.
  • lunatictrentonlunatictrenton Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211825Members
    I just started playing and the large aquarium is one of the first things I wanted to get, I have about 5 air sacks in there right now. What fish do you personally keep in there?
  • VexareVexare Austin,TX Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210942Members
    I just started playing and the large aquarium is one of the first things I wanted to get, I have about 5 air sacks in there right now. What fish do you personally keep in there?

I keep one with airsacks for emergency water (before I am able to get the purifier parts) and another with Reginalds as they are my favorite food. ;)

I was using a third for our ecosystem / capture-breed-release testing (see big long ecosystem thread) studies - using mostly peepers but a few other species for variation.
    noticed a funny thing I had a tank full of Reginalds and then added a second level to the room and thus added another level to the tank. Sufficient to say that adding more tanks on top of one another does indeed raise the amount of fish that can be bred.

noticed a funny thing I had a tank full of Reginalds and then added a second level to the room and thus added another level to the tank. Sufficient to say that adding more tanks on top of one another does indeed raise the amount of fish that can be bred.

I liked having them stacked but there was a bug (not sure if it's fixed yet in experimental) where the 'base' scenery was appearing in between the two instead of one open tank. This glitch allowed the fish to go back and forth sort of, but players could not swim between the half rendered looking sand and plants, etc.

If they've fixed that then yes, stacking them to hold more fish in one is a great idea so long as you're careful about your hull integrity (weight) values!
    I believe that bug was fixed otherwise I would have encountered the issue.
  • lunatictrentonlunatictrenton Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211825Members
    Vexare wrote: »

I liked having them stacked but there was a bug (not sure if it's fixed yet in experimental) where the 'base' scenery was appearing in between the two instead of one open tank. This glitch allowed the fish to go back and forth sort of, but players could not swim between the half rendered looking sand and plants, etc.

If they've fixed that then yes, stacking them to hold more fish in one is a great idea so long as you're careful about your hull integrity (weight) values!

that is pretty cool. I will have to try that as soon as I get some lithium so I can increase my bases hull strength.
    edited January 2016
    Also plant life in the tanks increases the rate of breeding it seems. I filled mine up with creepvine. I have probably 5 or 6 different fish breading. Going to try and repopulate the area around my base.
    You can see a partial of my tank from the outside.
    uzfypsj4dkns.jpg
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    WAIT, WHAT!

You can stack em on top of each other, is that a bloody tripledecker?

tumblr_mlryue4Iym1r7cssgo1_r2_400.gif
    edited January 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    WAIT, WHAT!

You can stack em on top of each other, is that a bloody tripledecker?

tumblr_mlryue4Iym1r7cssgo1_r2_400.gif

Yup, and the larger the tank (more floors) the more fish it can hold. There seems to be a maximum number per size limit. Also I put 3 to make the tank tall enough to let the creepvine grow. However atm it seems that Creepvine in the tanks can't be harvested and don't grow seeds, but does increase the rate that fish breed.

Also multilevel tanks makes going up and down floors a TON easier than ladders. Just put hatches on every level, and you can jump in, swim to the level you want and get out.
    The only way to grow creepvine and pods for harvesting are in the farming trays you put outside your base on the ground or foundations, not inside aquariums.
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    I remember there was a picture where the aquarium is connected directly to the outside hull with a tunnel and a bulkhead door, maybe that will be added later?

this was the design for how you were able to enter the aquarium but right now its just a normal hatch just like the rest of the base has
    Jacara wrote: »
    Also plant life in the tanks increases the rate of breeding it seems. I filled mine up with creepvine.

I am sorry to say that flora inside tanks doesn't affect the breeding speed of fish tried it out and posted my results in the "food for thought" discussion which is entirely about repopulating the ecosystem and breeding fish
    althought this might have changed since last week i might need to do a new test
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Jacara wrote: »

Also multilevel tanks makes going up and down floors a TON easier than ladders. Just put hatches on every level, and you can jump in, swim to the level you want and get out.

Haha, your own water based lift. B)
  • raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    yh, its fastest type inside transport when there is multiple levels closely together, vertical connector is fastest though if difference on levels is larger than one room
    edited February 2016
    How did you get creepvines in your tank?

Wiki says i can use creep vine samples or seed clusters, but i can add neither of them to the planter. Shrooms work tho.
    How did you get creepvines in your tank?

Wiki says i can use creep vine samples or seed clusters, but i can add neither of them to the planter. Shrooms work tho.

Its broken right now. They will fix it later.
  • deseizdeseiz belgium Join Date: 2016-02-01 Member: 212437Members
    As cool as it is, the hatch thing is kinda screwy, i mean you have to open it and only place you can put a hatch is at the bottom of the tank ... so all the water comes pouring out when you open it?
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Its the same magical hatch system as the one used to enter/exit Bases. Water magically DONT come pouring in the base (or in this case pouring out the aquarium, inside your base :D ) I understand that for the sake of realism a regular hatch system would be cool, where a transition ''room'' would fill in with water when you exit your base or fill in oxygen when you enter your base.

But believe me on this one, the animation would become old and tedious pretty quickly. I was one of those that were very enthusiast when the animation for opening the bulkhead doors went live and now i never close them all (specially in large Bases) cuz its become tiresome to open/close them all, all the time.
    I just imagine that there's some sort of stasis field that stops the water from getting through. Functional airlocks would be amazing though.
    edited February 2016
    I always build my hatch in a corridor with bulkhead and reinforcements to make it a decompression room or however you call it
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    R2T9 wrote: »

Eventually when they add eggs, I believe they can be hatched inside, and you could (in theory) put a stalker in there. At least that's what the concept art shows. Dunno if that is planned, but it would be cool.

Actually it is already implemented in experimental.