About beacons and signals

RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
I dont know about you all but my memory aint what it used to be :p for this reason when i travel deep somewhere and set a base and/or see something i really wanna be able to find back, i tend to dump a beacon just to be sure ..... before long theres several spots that pulses on my screen and that tends to break immersion. Granted, i can just toggle the HUD off but that hides the whole ui and i find this kinda bothering.

My suggestion is pretty simple, id love to have a command to hide ONLY the beacon(s) signal so that nothing pings in my screen anymore. Then when u want to track back you way BAM toggle the beacon signals back on then when u get there BAM toggle back off. thats just my 2 cents but id find such a toggle command pretty nifty

Comments

• ChaumurkyChaumurky Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210715Members
    Fully agree. I use beacons a lot for navigation purposes but the multiple pulses now not only make gameplay not as enjoyable but it also seems to be impacting RAM/memory usage (slow down). A toggle on/off (filter types of beacons) or other methods for navigating/exlporing the map, our bases, points of interest, etc. would be nice.
  • ChaumurkyChaumurky Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210715Members
    Distance would indeed be nice. Color coded or "type" filtering would be useful too. For example beacons for bases vs. beacons for locations or specific resources. In addition being able to toggle off the beacons ensures that they don't appear on any "photo" screenshots that we can take in game.
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    edited January 2016
    Personally, I'd like to see a map system implemented that would be developed as you explore (you must come within a certain distance of terrain in a vehicle equipped with sonar to have it added to the map), and then shift all of beacons over to the map. This would clear up a cluttered view completely, and then give us the ability to individually add or subtract beacons from the HUD based on when you need them.

EDIT: It's kind of hard to believe that we have all of this advanced technology to travel to another planet to terraform it for colonization, but we don't have basic mapping and distance tracking...
  • XamerzanXamerzan Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210713Members
    It's kind of hard to believe that we have all of this advanced technology to travel to another planet to terraform it for colonization, but we don't have basic mapping and distance tracking...

Well, you could argue that all the important stuff such as mapping and navigation was severely damaged upon entry into the planet's atmosphere. Also, it probably wouldn't be unheard of that the Aurora's radiation could've contributed to the disruption of these mapping systems.

Maybe the AI was damaged as well? Just food for thought.
    Xamerzan wrote: »
    It's kind of hard to believe that we have all of this advanced technology to travel to another planet to terraform it for colonization, but we don't have basic mapping and distance tracking...

Well, you could argue that all the important stuff such as mapping and navigation was severely damaged upon entry into the planet's atmosphere. Also, it probably wouldn't be unheard of that the Aurora's radiation could've contributed to the disruption of these mapping systems.

Maybe the AI was damaged as well? Just food for thought.

All possible causes, but then to not be able to at least build something at a later point to accomplish the task still seems a little far fetched. After all, we still have our magic fabricator that can laser up any material we have the base ingredients for. Terrain mapping has to be less complex than that...
  • TheRelicOfOwlsTheRelicOfOwls Texas Join Date: 2016-01-06 Member: 211014Members
    Xamerzan wrote: »
    This would be vastly helpful. Perhaps have a separate tab on your tablet that shows you what beacon(s) you currently have in a nice neat little list that you can adjust accordingly (alphabetical, or chronological). And when you don't need a certain beacon at the time, just toggle it off with a simple push of a button... or turn them all on/off if you do/don't want blaring beacons in your face! XD

Another addition I'd like to see is a distance number between you and your beacon(s) of interest are. Makes me comfortable knowing that I'm getting closer as opposed to feeling like I'm saying "Am I there yet?!" ¬w¬

this is more along the lines of what I was going to recommend. Make it so that you can pick and choose which beacons are active so you don't get a clutter of overlapping names and pings across the screen. The idea with the tablet having a list sounds like a pretty ideal way of doing that!
    @SpacedInvader, if I am not mistaken I read somewhere that a map system was implemented in previous game builds but was later taken out again (not sure why) by the devs. Can anyone confirm this?
    Chaumurky wrote: »
    @SpacedInvader, if I am not mistaken I read somewhere that a map system was implemented in previous game builds but was later taken out again (not sure why) by the devs. Can anyone confirm this?

It would seem that they are in the habit of doing this (see my post about the compass), but my hope is that they are simply trying to find a better way to implement it, or that they will add it back in at a later time.
    Chaumurky wrote: »

It would seem that they are in the habit of doing this (see my post about the compass), but my hope is that they are simply trying to find a better way to implement it, or that they will add it back in at a later time.

Yes, likewise. By the way I fully agree regarding my first time visit to the thermal vent in the safe shallows... super tense :D

• Lobbyx3Lobbyx3 Israel Join Date: 2016-01-09 Member: 211124Members
    I agree with you, but I think they should add an item or a window that let's you to toggle what beacon is on and showing and what is turned off.
    Also custom naming a beacon after dropping it.
    (I played an older version so I dunno if it has been changed...)

P.s.
    Mapping could be cool as an item and not a HUD for from the beginning.
    Lobbyx3 wrote: »
    Also custom naming a beacon after dropping it.
    (I played an older version so I dunno if it has been changed...)

Yes, this has been changed and we can now custom name beacons.
  • lentinantlentinant Ukraine Join Date: 2016-10-25 Member: 223357Members
    May be necro-thread, but to avoid submitting duplicate ideas, I will up this.

Upvoting distance (may be as module we can equip) and list toggle for beacons. Also, it would be nice to have signals not as items, but as list as well. It is really hard to manage signals right now, because there is even no solid way to distinguish signal items, and I had some troubles remembering what signal I've checked already.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited October 2016
    I agree with this motion. Ideas in this thread are pretty sweet and work with the ideas here. I assume that beacons currently don't give distance readings since they're not fixed points on the map... but why not? If the the game can track beacons from over 1,000 meters away and the blip is persistently displayed, I don't see why beacons can't display distance markers as well, since the underlying data is already there.

At the very least let us have a small set of specialty beacons that we can customize with blip toggles, similar to how the quick-access hotbar works for tools (#1-5) but use Control + number to toggle its blip display. Since beacons store their name data even when they're inactive, it shouldn't be too hard to customize them with this feature.

(Also let me toggle off the blips for the Lifepod, Seamoth, Cyclops and Exosuit!) :open_mouth: