Build 280: Modding Tools Update! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited January 2016 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 280: Modding Tools Update! - Natural Selection 2

It’s finally here, the long-awaited FBX compiler tools!  That’s right, you heard correctly: the Spark model pipeline has been brought out of the stone-ages.  No longer shall modders be forced to...

Read the full story here

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Bump to help confused marine.
  • Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
    Glad to see the art pipeline finally moved away from just using frame tags
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Is that all that was changed? Nothing in the game/server?
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Awesome! It'll be interesting to see what models get dragged into mods with this. :)

I suspect there are more changes as I noticed mention of randomising the menu background to show different map scenes.

I also read something about menu changes but I doubt they'd put the new menu live and not make a big thing of it as that would be a massive waste of a hype opportunity.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Whoa, whoa. Let's reel in the puns.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited January 2016
    any quick manual on how to get the peeper with animation as cinematic into the editor?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    For those that are wondering about other changes, this patch is just a tool release with some cosmetic adjustments. No gameplay or server changes have been made. Matso is still on the hunt for some of the recent server performance issues.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    how do i open the peeper in spark
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2016
    Great work!! Is there really a fish now with big eyes in ns2 art assets lol?
    McGlaspie wrote: »
    [*] Fixed Commander blocking / visibile geometry & props around Landing Pad in Docking

Omg thank you, please do this for other rooms and other maps too :# There isn't anything more frustrating as a comm than a medpack not finding its marine.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2016
    @The_Welsh_Wizard Yes! You can find the Peeper assets in the 'assets/modelsrc/peeper/' directory. The Maya and FBX source files are available. If you weren't aware of it, the Peeper fish is from Subnautica. :) If there are problems with other maps / rooms, feel free to shoot me PMs with the details. Just please include screenshots and location data (use the 'locate' console command).
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    how do i open the peeper in spark

We've included the source assets for it in "assets/modelsrc/peeper", you'll need to compile it yourself though. Just make a new mod, and copy the "peeper" folder to your mod's "modelsrc" folder, and run builder. It'll appear in your output folder.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @Loki I suggest you make it happen... Kodiak and Derelict to have Peepers for SCC Sunday. @BeigeAlert You can probably add them quicker than anyone.. I don't care if they don't actually move or float as if dead, I want them in on Sunday :D
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hmmm... I couldn't get a FBX to be exported.
    Building...
    2> Executing '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\CompileModel" -dependencies "Y:\Espace de travail - modder Jeux\Natural selection 2\Outer_rim_ark\source\models\ora\test.model_compile"'
    2> Y:\Espace de travail - modder Jeux\Natural selection 2\Outer_rim_ark\output\models\ora\test.model
    2> Executing '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\CompileModel" -material_src "Y:\Espace de travail - modder Jeux\Natural selection 2\Outer_rim_ark\source\" "Y:\Espace de travail - modder Jeux\Natural selection 2\Outer_rim_ark\source\models\ora\test.model_compile" "Y:\Espace de travail - modder Jeux\Natural selection 2\Outer_rim_ark\output\models\ora\test.model"'
    2> starting...
    2> Error: Couldn't load 'de'
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Build complete (7 seconds)
    0 succeeded, 1 failed, 76 up-to-date, 134 skipped

Win7 64bit FR (legit copy) / Exporting with Blender 2.76 / builder.exe in verbose mode.

Wut da f... is de?? Maybe Hey yo Deee!!!

Maybe 'de' is from "Espace de travail". It seems it's the same config file bug from last time. ... hotfix pls ?

I couldn't find the word "texture" in the manual. Maybe it is stored somewhere else. I just browsed rapidly what was in the full story. Maybe i missed something. If the information is somewhere else could you insert it in the google document ?
  • G_of_the_JG_of_the_J Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186764Members
    Nice to see updates coming. :)
    edited January 2016
    Hmmm... I couldn't get a FBX to be exported.
    Building...
    2> Executing '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\CompileModel" -dependencies "Y:\Espace de travail - modder Jeux\Natural selection 2\Outer_rim_ark\source\models\ora\test.model_compile"'
    2> Y:\Espace de travail - modder Jeux\Natural selection 2\Outer_rim_ark\output\models\ora\test.model
    2> Executing '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\CompileModel" -material_src "Y:\Espace de travail - modder Jeux\Natural selection 2\Outer_rim_ark\source\" "Y:\Espace de travail - modder Jeux\Natural selection 2\Outer_rim_ark\source\models\ora\test.model_compile" "Y:\Espace de travail - modder Jeux\Natural selection 2\Outer_rim_ark\output\models\ora\test.model"'
    2> starting...
    2> Error: Couldn't load 'de'
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Build complete (7 seconds)
    0 succeeded, 1 failed, 76 up-to-date, 134 skipped

Win7 64bit FR (legit copy) / Exporting with Blender 2.76 / builder.exe in verbose mode.

Wut da f... is de?? Maybe Hey yo Deee!!!

Maybe 'de' is from "Espace de travail". It seems it's the same config file bug from last time. ... hotfix pls ?

I couldn't find the word "texture" in the manual. Maybe it is stored somewhere else. I just browsed rapidly what was in the full story. Maybe i missed something. If the information is somewhere else could you insert it in the google document ?

That's weird... it looks like it's getting tripped up by having spaces in the file path... but that's nothing to do with the changes I made. :/

Out of curiosity, does this same error happen when you try exporting a collada (DAE) file?

Also, the exporter doesn't do anything differently than the old pipeline in terms of materials. It will simply rename the diffuse channel's input image to the spark material.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited January 2016
    Screw the peeper! I thought the snapper was going to be the star of the show!
    Jokes aside this is amazing news, and exactly what Spark needed to revive the modding scene. Great work Beige!
    Snapper wont be forgotten now!
    t24NUBx.png
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    Howser wrote: »
    Screw the peeper! I thought the snapper was going to be the star of the show!
    Jokes aside this is amazing news, and exactly what Spark needed to revive the modding scene. Great work Beige!
    Snapper wont be forgotten now!
    t24NUBx.png

The 6th alien lifeforms!
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Nordic wrote: »
    The 6th alien lifeforms!
    Ssshhh! You're not supposed to tell anyone...
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Can we make acid rocket come out of that thing somehow?
    I tried using it @Howser, but it seems the files you gave me didn't have animations included. :(
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    That's weird... it looks like it's getting tripped up by having spaces in the file path... but that's nothing to do with the changes I made. :/
    Out of curiosity, does this same error happen when you try exporting a collada (DAE) file?
    Also, the exporter doesn't do anything differently than the old pipeline in terms of materials. It will simply rename the diffuse channel's input image to the spark material.
    Same with DAE.
    Using the original builder config file as the fixed one (here) is the same.
    Same with DAE.
    Using the original builder config file as the fixed one (here) is the same.

Did you recently move your mod projects to another drive or something? The "de" seems to be part of the name of a folder surrounded by spaces. I'm not sure why it's tripping over that part though. :(
  • ReconMarauderReconMarauder Join Date: 2013-09-11 Member: 188134Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Really? No mention of how badly the game's netcode and player interaction has been broken by 279? The game is completely broken for many players now. I now get constant complaints from people of dying around corners, or point blank shooting an alien with the full shotgun spread, yet getting no damage. I have to keep on quitting the game because it gets to the point where I am fed up with having the game decide that no matter what I do, I will lose a duel to an incorporeal enemy. Or seeing an enemy float in midair for literally SECONDS longer than it should take for them to fall after a jump. A big thing I have noticed is that many players simply have less animation frames than in previous builds.

The game is nearly unplayable for me every single day, and we have had many rookies refuse to come back due to how broken the game was for them. NS2 has had a declining population for a while, and it is due primarily to game instability and netcode issues. We need to be able to give a pleasant experience to new players so that they become interested in the game, instead of chasing them away with the current state of the game.

Given the choice, many people agree with me ingame whenever I bring up my preference for build 277 over 279. This is obviously not what you as developers are looking for, and resolving this issue should be your primary focus until the player base reaches a consensus that the game has been improved by your changes, rather than breaking the game for many players and only listening to those who say that they have seen an improvement.
    @ReconMarauder: if someone gave you instruction on precisely how, are you opposed to delivering diagnostic data to those who can help?
    Did you recently move your mod projects to another drive or something? The "de" seems to be part of the name of a folder surrounded by spaces. I'm not sure why it's tripping over that part though. :(
    Nope. "Rebuild" works properly for all other stuff.
  • Legend_BossLegend_Boss UK Join Date: 2014-02-27 Member: 194394Members
    I've been able to compile the peeper without problem, created new mod from basic template, added the peeper folder to the source, run builder then I had it. I clicked "build" instead of "rebuild" but doubt that would make a difference in this case.