Should the Knife be removed.

TaiphozTaiphoz UKMembers Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Posts: 176 Advanced user
edited January 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Apparently the developers do not want any lethal weapons in the game, so should the knife be removed ?

With a knife I can kill every single life form in the game, oh not tried killing a reefback, so it's plenty lethal not only is it lethal but its kinda mean as well cos your right in the things face when your stab stab stabbing it to death.

[edit] -- Damn ... failed on posting wanted to add other options but accidentally hit return and it posted :(

Should the Knife be removed. 11 votes

Yes remove it, no lethal weapons at all.
27%
jazz22Taiphozagure 3 votes
Yes remove it.. but wait I can kill fish with ramming them in my sub, that's technically lethal right ?
63%
PoKakatoadgunmetal563Sub12341madmick22Kazza2003ALOL 7 votes
Yes remove it.. Also you might wana remove floaters, I can float fish out of water where they cant breath so die, that's lethal.
9%
Erebos 1 vote
«1

Comments

  • TaiphozTaiphoz UKMembers Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Posts: 176 Advanced user
    Yes remove it, no lethal weapons at all.
    OK so that OP is a bit of a fail I had the following options planned but I think I hit tab and return by mistake so posted it to soon.
    • Yes remove it , I can also kill everything with the gravity gun, don't even get me started on crash fish.
    • No Keep the knife its cool
    • No Keep the knife it cooks my food.

    Anyway I think I made my point, for a game with no lethal weapons there sure is a lot of ways to kill things, so I think what I'm saying is that the developers stance on having zero lethal weapons is either misplaced or simply bad design or the players are taking something they have said and read into it the wrong way.

    My HOPE! is that what they meant is that we will never get any military spec style weapons like sniper rifles or machine guns, but what we might get are spear guns, net's, mod's for the gravity gun that let it shoot stuff as ammo basically improvised tools that can be used offensively.

    Would love to see some developer feedback on this.
  • LordDerpLordDerp NetherlandsMembers Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Posts: 143 Advanced user
    The knife is a TOOL, which people use like weapons. I mean, you can stab someone with a pen. Does that make a pen a weapon? You can smash somebody's head in with a brick. Does that make a brick a weapon?

    People use the knife to kill stuff, yes. But the knife's primary use is as a tool. If we were to remove all 'weapons', the seamoth and cyclops should be removed too, since you can ram fish to death with it.

    True weapons like guns are a no-go in this game I feel. TOOLS which you can use to FEND OFF predators are a good way to go.
    AlphaBlueArxXamerzanEntomoligist
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Members Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Posts: 283 Advanced user
    edited January 2016
    Why not eliminate the whole surival part completely now that we are at it?
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UKMembers Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Posts: 176 Advanced user
    edited January 2016
    Yes remove it, no lethal weapons at all.
    The Knife is a tool, hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...., sorry that actually made me laugh out loud so much that a few family members came into the room expecting to find me watching something funny on youtube, they got a laugh as well.

    I challenge you within the context of this game to find a use for your knife where you do not actually end the life of a living organism.


    If your still content in saying that an item in the game which soul purpose is ending the life of other living things is NOT in fact a weapon then I argue that a gun a laser a rocket a bomb are tools, in fact I could probably find more uses for those things in the game that do not cause harm to life that I could with a knife, seriously a rocket or bombs you could use to demo old builds, get scuttle old ships or make a hole in the sand or rock, a laser you could use if its beam is steady to line up things at long range...

    Its a weapon dude, a and a powerful one at that I can take down a reaper in short order with a heat blade although sadly it does not cook the thing in the process.
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgiumMembers Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Posts: 105 Advanced user
    use the knife to harvest ores from rocks, harvesting little amounts of coral and seaweed, slow down you swimming speed while holding it and damaging you own stuff your own base.
    4 uses for the knife that don't kill anything.

    and yes harvesting to much seaweed and coral it dies that is why I said little amounts.
    also killing animals and plants is a requirement for survival, useless slaughter on carnivores is not, now both you and everyone else stop posting these stupid "give weapons!!!!" threads.
    its the developers game they do with it what they want you have no rights past playing it0
    LordDerpPulsed
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Members Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Posts: 283 Advanced user
    Taiphoz wrote: »
    The Knife is a tool, hahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah...., sorry that actually made me laugh out loud so much that a few family members came into the room expecting to find me watching something funny on youtube, they got a laugh as well.

    I challenge you within the context of this game to find a use for your knife where you do not actually end the life of a living organism.


    If your still content in saying that an item in the game which soul purpose is ending the life of other living things is NOT in fact a weapon then I argue that a gun a laser a rocket a bomb are tools, in fact I could probably find more uses for those things in the game that do not cause harm to life that I could with a knife, seriously a rocket or bombs you could use to demo old builds, get scuttle old ships or make a hole in the sand or rock, a laser you could use if its beam is steady to line up things at long range...

    Its a weapon dude, a and a powerful one at that I can take down a reaper in short order with a heat blade although sadly it does not cook the thing in the process.

    Following your logic the knife i use to eat my meals is a weapon too...yeah right.

    Oh look i found a use that's not to end the life of other life forms.

    Also in the game you don't have to use it to kill stuff only, you need it also to harvest creepvines and corals that you need to craft stuff.
    LordDerp
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UKMembers Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Posts: 176 Advanced user
    Yes remove it, no lethal weapons at all.
    Gathering ore is the only real answer there, the rest result in the ending of life.
    • You cut a chunk of coral off , that coral which is made up of hundreds or thousands of individual little microscopic life forms all die, so your not just taking some little sustainable bit and letting the rest recover your mass murdering hundreds of unique little life forms.
    • You slice a chunk of Creep Vine and the life that once pulled energy from the sun and fed the main plant no longer functions because you just killed it, eventually the part you have will wither and die or go rotten as per the games current mechanics.

    And no eating your dinner is irrelevant because it's outwith the context of this game and this discussion.

    I don't want over the top weapons but I do want weapons that are appropriate to the context of the game, if you Dive in the real world you might often take with you a Spear Gun for example, its a weapon that's used for hunting by people all over the world, how would that be any more or less violent or lethal than freezing a fish with the stasis rifle and then swimming upto it while it's got no chance of evading your attack and then just stabbing it in the face, or worse stabcooking it in the face.

    People say the dev's don't want lethal weapons in the game well what the hell does that mean I would love a dev to actually post what they think a "lethal weapon is" how would they class the gravity gun for example, with it you can suck in any fish and then propel it away at such speed that it blows the poor fish apart, you can use it to pick up some form of ammo like ore use that ore as a bullet and then shoot predators, how is that not a lethal weapon.
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Members Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Posts: 283 Advanced user
    edited January 2016
    Mmmmmh i kinda see your point.

    They can be lethal under certain circumnstances
    Chaumurky
  • Ruslan_DRRuslan_DR probably terrorizing tourists along the coast.Members Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210578Posts: 28 Advanced user
    LordDerp wrote: »
    The knife is a TOOL, which people use like weapons. I mean, you can stab someone with a pen. Does that make a pen a weapon? You can smash somebody's head in with a brick. Does that make a brick a weapon?

    People use the knife to kill stuff, yes. But the knife's primary use is as a tool. If we were to remove all 'weapons', the seamoth and cyclops should be removed too, since you can ram fish to death with it.

    True weapons like guns are a no-go in this game I feel. TOOLS which you can use to FEND OFF predators are a good way to go.

    Varies a little, I made a suggestion on a construction-based double harpoon which is less lethal to things like the reaper, it's mostly designed as an anchor or a sort of tether, even a grappling hook for underwater. So I generally planned it to be not a weapon. However, it's sort of like the knife, there's both an offensive, tool, and defensive set of uses for it. It's generally less lethal to things because unlike a knife it was inherently not designed to be used as a weapon. Due to it's size it's also unwieldy.

    The knife is fine as it is, you can't stop people from being people, but you can let people who are going to do what's right do what's right, and i figure stuff like this should stay, maybe nerf it a little. However, even though you CAN kill everything in the game with it pretty much, it's not exactly easy since most large creatures then run, and fish- well IRL you can one-stab a fish probably.
    Taiphoz wrote: »

    People say the dev's don't want lethal weapons in the game well what the hell does that mean I would love a dev to actually post what they think a "lethal weapon is" how would they class the gravity gun for example, with it you can suck in any fish and then propel it away at such speed that it blows the poor fish apart, you can use it to pick up some form of ammo like ore use that ore as a bullet and then shoot predators, how is that not a lethal weapon.

    I think what they mean is items with no inherent use OTHER than killing things, like say a spear gun or underwater pistol or laser guns or stuff like that.

    _______________________________________________________________

    so opinionatively, no, it should not. The knife can be used for cutting cords, catching food quickly like with the heated blade, harvesting things like coral which you can't do bare handed, being a hammer for ore (the real-life equivalent is a glassbreaker tipped knife, sort of like I have.) and gathering creepvine.

    All in all, items depend on how you use them, more than anything. Knife can stay.
    SF362
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain HighMembers, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Posts: 1,025 Advanced user
    You're bridging the gap too much between tool and weapon @Taiphoz. Drinking too much water irl can literally make your brain cells burst. You're saying that because a tool can be abused (I acknowledge that abuse is subject to opinion in this case), it automatically is defaulted back to being a weapon. You're jumping from a to l to z, this debases your argument.

    Following your logic and adding to what had been said above by @LordDerp, you may as well request that sand, water, the player itself (hands, legs, head - all tools which can be used lethally), rocks, flora, fauna all be removed.

    The point of havin "non-lethal" weapons is not to prevent violence within the game (nature is violent), but to force the player to think with their brain and not their gun. Being able to kill/cook a fish for food is necessary, and a tool would be a prerequisite for doing so. Committing genocide against every fish you come across would be clearly crossing the line from tool to weapon, but if you fail to make that connection, it's not a wonder you don't seem to comprehend that the knife in it's current implemented state is a valuable tool and not a weapon. Divers irl typically carry diving knives as a tool. They pry, they cut, they poke, they split, etc... these are functions of a tool.
    LordDerpSF362BoltWarden
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UKMembers Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Posts: 176 Advanced user
    Yes remove it, no lethal weapons at all.
    Nah your wrong, sorry..

    My logic was spot on your understanding of it is wrong, first of all read my posts you wont find me ever saying it's not a tool I simply laughed at some one calling it that since the only thing it can do other than kill is break a rock for ore, what's even funnier is that the action of breaking the rock would happen regardless of having a knife in your hand so its not even an activity that the knifes designed to accomplish it's just something you happen to be able to do while holding a knife.

    Same thing with the gravity gun, the stasis rifle and probably the torch and just about ANYTHING you can hold you can harvest ore's with them all because the action is not related to whats in your hand as is evident from the ability to harvest the ore with your bare hands.

    Can the knife in this game be used as a tool, yes I guess when you break a rock even though it's redundant because you can break rocks with everything including your bare hand, so if like 99% of the use of a thing is in the act of causing harm and killing things and 1% of it is as a utensil, would most people consider it a tool or a weapon.

    My bet's on weapon.



  • TaiphozTaiphoz UKMembers Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Posts: 176 Advanced user
    Yes remove it, no lethal weapons at all.
    Just to drive that home if your approaching an ore node and happen to have anything but the knife equipped are you going to switch to the knife to harvest it or are you just going to smash it with what ever happens to be in your hands..

    Hell now that I think about it does the thing even take durability loss when you use it on a rock if it does not that then hits home your not really using it, it's just in your hands, will need to check that I guess.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain HighMembers, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Posts: 1,025 Advanced user
    You don't have a problem with everything else in the world though? You've ignored that argument twice now. Pretty much everything in the game could be used in lethal means irl. Why do you want to see it removed? Seems like the only reason reason to bring this up is to prove a point, a moot point at that.
    SF362
  • terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard timeMembers Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Posts: 49 Fully active user
    edited January 2016
    i'm sure when they say "no lethal weapons" they mean no pistols or sniper rifles with bullets. they are trying to be unique- too many games are about killing things with guns - but subnautica is not trying to be another shooting game. tbh i find it rediculous to remove the knife just because it's a "weapon"... they aren't trying to be kind to animals, they are trying to set themselves apart from other games.
    2coughLordDerpSF362
  • HydrophobicHydrophobic Reading, PAMembers Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211082Posts: 9 Fully active user
    Go to images.google.com and search for "dive tool". Know what a majority of the images will be of? Knives. Knives made just for divers. There is a reason we (divers) call it a dive tool and not a knife and if you were to ask divers if they would dive without one there's a good chance they'll look at you like you just swallowed your brain.

    If you aren't fond of having an item which you can only see as a weapon in the game, might I suggest you simply forget it's there. Who knows, it may become extremely useful when further updates to the game come into play...
    IDTiaLordDerp
  • IDTiaIDTia New YorkMembers Join Date: 2016-01-04 Member: 210874Posts: 20 Fully active user
    @Hydrophobic I was going to bring up the fact about knives being essential, but I'm not that knowledgeable in that area, so thank you for bringing it up. But also, I don't think he's too serious, more trying to stir trouble.

    Or you never know, some people are that illogical.
    A sleep deprived individual judging you harshly for your grammar, punctuation and spelling. Also a big fan of sarcasm.
    LordDerpSF362
  • HydrophobicHydrophobic Reading, PAMembers Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211082Posts: 9 Fully active user
    I don't think he's being illogical, but I can see where he is coming from with the game in the state it is now. I was trying to show him that, while he has a point that it is a knife and it can be used as a weapon, there are those that view it as a much needed tool. It might be needed late in game, like, if you get tangled up in something (a high likelihood in the real world where the dive tool comes in very handy). If, in a later build, you could get tangled in a mess of kelp or some kind of netting, this tool will be much more useful than any other that is currently in the game.
  • bootsybootsy UkMembers Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211087Posts: 6 Fully active user
    I think none of you have understood him at all, to me it looks like what hes saying and what he actually wants or means are two different things , your all taking him to literal .

    I think his point which to me hes made perfectly clear is that why not have other weapons when we already have one in the form of the blade.

    I might be wrong but thats how it reads to me , and hes not wrong either knives are weapons whe used to kill and as he said thats what their used for in the game 90% of the time, tool 10% of the time.

    So i agree with him we need more weapons.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at youMembers Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Posts: 1,213 Advanced user
    edited January 2016
    Following your logic the knife i use to eat my meals is a weapon too...yeah right.

    It is if you're near an elementary school, or anywhere in the UK

    Also this thread is bait.
    LordDerpSF362
  • HydrophobicHydrophobic Reading, PAMembers Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211082Posts: 9 Fully active user
    edited January 2016
    bootsy wrote: »
    I think his point which to me hes made perfectly clear is that why not have other weapons when we already have one in the form of the blade.

    His first words are litterally "Apparently the developers do not want any lethal weapons in the game, so should the knife be removed ?"

    In other words, since they don't want lethals, why do they allow a knife?

    The point I am making is that it doesn't have to be viewed as JUST a lethal, it also has value as a tool.
    Xamerzan
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UKMembers Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Posts: 176 Advanced user
    Yes remove it, no lethal weapons at all.
    Wow some one's actually got it.
  • SpaceKrakenSpaceKraken Milky WayMembers Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211108Posts: 3
    edited January 2016
    *sarcasm mode ON*
    Do not forget to remove the Gravity Gun, Seamoth, Cyclops, and of course... cooking .
    All these things can kill creatures.
    *sarcasm mode OFF*
  • XamerzanXamerzan Members Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210713Posts: 32 Fully active user
    edited January 2016
    If you aren't fond of having an item which you can only see as a weapon in the game, might I suggest you simply forget it's there. Who knows, it may become extremely useful when further updates to the game come into play...

    This kinda goes without saying, but just don't build the dang thing if you TRULY believe it to be considered a weapon. You play how you want and we'll play how we want. However, in a survival situation it's KILL or BE KILLED! I'll take a knife over nothing any day.

    @Hydrophobic Thank you for your comments, dude. ^_^
    Hydrophobic
  • Ruslan_DRRuslan_DR probably terrorizing tourists along the coast.Members Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210578Posts: 28 Advanced user
    Xamerzan wrote: »
    If you aren't fond of having an item which you can only see as a weapon in the game, might I suggest you simply forget it's there. Who knows, it may become extremely useful when further updates to the game come into play...

    This kinda goes without saying, but just don't build the dang thing if you TRULY believe it to be considered a weapon. You play how you want and we'll play how we want. However, in a survival situation it's KILL or BE KILLED! I'll take a knife over nothing any day.

    @Hydrophobic Thank you for your comments, dude. ^_^

    and don't forget underwater geysers! those things kill fish too!
    Oh, and other larger fish that eat the smaller fish!

    #aquariumsimulator2016
  • terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard timeMembers Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Posts: 49 Fully active user
    edited January 2016
    *realizes this poll is bait* (thanks @04Leonhardt )
    :trollface: you know what? just get rid of the aurora, the radiation is too dangerous to the animals. and also all vehicles because you can ram the poor fishies. oh and we need to drain the ocean too, guys. 100% of fish who have swum in water DIE, so water has a 100% mortality rate, it's gotta go.
    *exhale* ok now this game is finally safe you guys, phew!

    OK on a serious note, i'm really disappointed in humanity right now
  • BugzapperBugzapper AustraliaMembers Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Posts: 1,098 Advanced user
    Remove the dive knife? Seriously? :D

    Bro, do you even dive?

    I know ten different ways to kill a man with a cured Peeper. Everything is a potential weapon.
    LordDerpBoltWardenlorcogoth
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at youMembers Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Posts: 1,213 Advanced user
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Remove the dive knife? Seriously? :D

    Bro, do you even dive?

    I know ten different ways to kill a man with a cured Peeper. Everything is a potential weapon.

    Bruh I could take a piss in the water and probably kill more things with the PH imbalance
    BugzapperLordDerp
  • bond007bond007 englandMembers Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210960Posts: 16 Fully active user
    the knife could be removed but that involves the thermoblade because you need a knife to make the thermoblade
Sign In or Register to comment.