Is the Night too dark?

DchicoteDchicote Germany Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204901Members
edited January 2016 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
I think, during night, it is a little too dark

Comments

• VexareVexare Austin,TX Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210942Members
    Are you asking about the night on the regular build or experimental build? Because I loaded up experimental to give it a spin and man is it DARK in the new graphics looks. I personally think it looks amazing that way because all the bioluminescent flora and fauna just pops out at you like an underwater rave! It looks much more alien that way. Darkness on regular build is just sort of murky looking to me, not dark.
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    Night time in the experimental is amazing for the first time in playing this game I'v gotten scared so many times, I actually scared the wife when I screamed in fear at what turned out to be the frond of a kelp just waving into torchlight.

With things being this dark it really opens up the amazing options they will have to play with bio-luminescence , just think you see a nice little glowing light in the dark it looks odd bright but kinda large about the size of a seamoth your curious you drive/swim toward it to investigate and when its just about to late to avoid it and your torch light finally reaches you reveal this waiting for you, just big enough to eat you alive in one gulp and strong enough to take out your seamoth in a few hits.

maxresdefault.jpg

Now if the devs are really crafty as hell they would not only implement the above but they would also implement something of value that glows in the dark that we need to go get, something that this angler species is imitating.

God I get chills just thinking about it.
  • Monk429Monk429 Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210626Members
    I was shocked to see how dark it got in the experimental...deep sea actually felt dark and dangerous. Finding fragments has become a much more difficult task, especially in the Grand Reef. I like the changes.

One thing did seem odd though. The Mushroom Forest is crazy bright. Seems to be excessive reflection and amplification of light or some extreme luminescence .
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Night is fine in experimental. Yes its dark, but its night.
    I am all for adding upgrades to increase light intensity on subs and stuff or adding optional sleep cycles, but keep the night dark.
  • ChaumurkyChaumurky Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210715Members
    I haven't tried experimental but in regular mode, night is not dark enough.
  • HumpfyGabHumpfyGab Germany Join Date: 2016-01-02 Member: 210798Members
    edited January 2016
    Yes, the night in experimental is very dark.

But considering it is night and you are under water it's just right.
    Also the bopluminescense pops out and looks just wonderfull.

But I agree, that if this lightlevel is kept we will need lights we can build so we can find our way around our bases. ;)
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I think night is too bright for me, heh.. Make it darker though http://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/2/?
  • TheRelicOfOwlsTheRelicOfOwls Texas Join Date: 2016-01-06 Member: 211014Members
    if you compare it to darnkness on an open ocean in real life it's still not dark enough, but for a game I think it's perfect on the experimental right now.
  • terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard time Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Members
    after thinking about it, i changed my mind
    it's not too dark, we just need a more effective flashlight is all...
  • rrichard2rrichard2 Bacon Join Date: 2015-06-17 Member: 205549Members
    edited January 2016
    I love how dark it is in experimental. Makes it 2spoky

67427661B59EC8D8BB6C0520316DCDD9E40EA046

C18BF11321569A394E68F547C976EBA7760C04DD
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    Of course it is too dark (new graphics), but dammit, doI love it ! :D As people said before me, the bioluminescent life has finally chance to shine (lol). In old graphics, the night was not an actual thing, so I am glad devs worked on that :)
  • SporkWitchSporkWitch Rochester, NY, USA Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211254Members
    edited January 2016
    As another mentioned, it's exactly as dark as it should be, and it's glorious. What we DO need is for the lights from the seamoth and the cyclops to spread a bit more (as it stands, you've gotta be about 2m away to see a wall in the seamoth). The flashlight seems fine, surprisingly (it actually seems to light things up better than the seamoth and cyclops combined).

One thing the new darkness definitely requires is the ability to install external lighting around our bases (by all means have this require power from the base to run them; as an aside, could even have dim red lighting inside when a base is unpowered, since it does say it's running on "emergency power" if you lose power). I found a REALLY awesome underwater cave with only two entrances, PERFECT for building a base. Even better? The lower entrance is about 350 feet deep and just big enough for the cyclops. The room of the cave it opens into is big enough to turn it around. The problem? With the new lighting, it's too dark to see anything. If you can even find your way back into the "cyclops berth" of the cave, I can BARELY see the dark blue light from the moon pool.

TL;DR
    Level of darkness is perfect. We need to improve the size and distance of the area illuminated by the seamoth and cylcops. We need external lighting so we can light up the area around our bases, and light up caves we turn into bases.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2016
    Here is video comparison (look in upper left for enabled/disabled messages) if the nights(general game) were darker