Transport Pipes.

TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
edited January 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hay..

At some point were going to get I hope some machines that will do stuff, like take raw titanium and process it into pure titanium or machines that will automate crafting if given the raw materials, when this happens were going to need some form of pipe system, some way to connect a pipe to a storage thing and then run that pipe over to a machine so that the machine can pull out the items it needs.

A basic implementation of this might be a room full of storage shelves, all with pipes coming out of them along the ceiling and then going down into a fabricator, then the player goes to the fabricator and says make me a computer chip the fab knows its connected to pipes so it looks along the pipe chain and looks in each storage container it finds for the materials it needs, pulling what it does to build the thing you request or telling you items missing so you can go fill your storage .

Pipes need two basic functions Pull and Push, could all be done with a single pipe just ajusting the connection point to either pull or push, you could then connect one side of a water machine with a pull pipe going into storage and it will auto pull out any salt and water and dump it into the storage you connect it to.

These pipes could work the same way on docked subs, if you pip up say the moon pool then when you dock if your sub has cargo it would get auto sucked out and into your storage.

Comments

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited January 2016
    I vote a qualified 'Yes' to pipes.

However, I think a slightly more 'scientific' approach (at least in terms of Subnautica's world-frame) would be preferable to having a tangled maze of pipes running all over the place. It's difficult enough getting air-tubes to run in a straight line, so I'm sure there's a better way of doing this. Your idea would be ideal for use in a Steampunk setting, incidentally. :)

Matter Transmission. Teleportation.

All The Survivor would need to do is build a number of Transmat terminals in bases and the Cyclops, and have all storage lockers connected in a two-way arrangement that supplies materials directly to all Fabricators, Builder tools and the Mobile Vehicle Bay.

So, what do you think?
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Please don't port Buildcraft to Subnautica... the current fabrication method works perfectly fine , as we have no serious need for mass production.
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    At the moment with very few crafting items but that wont remain like that were going to reach a point where there are lots of things to craft and lots of resources to process while it might not make sense at the moment it's a game in development and im sure its going to make perfect sense later on so better that they start working on it sooner rather than later.
  • Ruslan_DRRuslan_DR probably terrorizing tourists along the coast. Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210578Members
    edited January 2016
    what you're referring to is called a Pneumatic tube, but for the meantime it doesn't seem too necessary, i'm sure we'll think of something when necessary.

Alternatively if we could build pipes like those in futurama that just siphon people from A to B, that'd be cool too. amusing, but cool. Probably faster than boating it from A to B if it's particularily far.
  • terraformer004terraformer004 north america, central standard time Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210832Members
    I like to hand craft the materials. helps keep track of what I have in stock