Localized Flora and Fauna for the negative space outside seabases.

Ruslan_DRRuslan_DR probably terrorizing tourists along the coast. Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210578Members
edited December 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
If you're like me, you look at a base from the exterior and go "look at that epic layout.... Just wish the foundations weren't so bland."

So, I decided to see what it might look like if it WASN'T.

Just been thinking, why not have local coral, mushrooms, rocks, etc, and fishes swimming between the legs of the base, allow us to have something to look at from our glass corridors, many windows, and observatories.

Here's a couple areas I spent some hours rearranging with the Propulsion cannon.
(It's unbelievably annoying to be unable to manipulate things you pick up, so this took me a while and some "HRMPH!" moments.)

and if you don't like it, well you can always propulsion cannon it into some deep, dark cave from which it will never escape 8|

It might also be nice to have sand wash over and cover foundations in time, making them look like they've been there a while, rather than always being pristine white. gives corals something to grow on, too.

349476b370.jpg

9b528c67de.jpg

154e859ca0.jpg

db274ecf89.jpg

e83e494cca.jpg

Comments

• XamerzanXamerzan Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210713Members
    I think it'd be cool if your structures over time would start to gain coral growth on non-windowed surfaces, which you could decide to leave it on to make your base look more 'natural', or you can remove it as a constant, but optional, maintenance.
  • Ruslan_DRRuslan_DR probably terrorizing tourists along the coast. Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210578Members
    Xamerzan wrote: »
    I think it'd be cool if your structures over time would start to gain coral growth on non-windowed surfaces, which you could decide to leave it on to make your base look more 'natural', or you can remove it as a constant, but optional, maintenance.

at the very least on flat spaces. I'd like to also see sand roll over the surface and give it a nice tan shade to match the ground better, maybe having a pour line at some corner of the base like on a floating island. Either way, it would be a little something to actually look at other than more bleach white walls. I built this three-tier base in a kelp forest to give myself something to look at, but oddly not even the fish swim anywhere near the base which renders the observatory pointless.
  • coldsnapcoldsnap Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210395Members
    Xamerzan wrote: »

This! I'd love it if my base slowly accumulated corals, plants, small fish and general wear and tear. For me, the game is about exploring and looking, so I wouldn't mind if they went completely all-in with detail. I like to take it slow and just look at the scenery close-up, and I feel the terrain in general could use more microdetailing. :-)
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    We'll eventually be able to color our bases at some point.
  • coldsnapcoldsnap Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210395Members
    edited January 2016
    Is there any concept art of bases, btw? Would be interesting to see what their original vision was.

Edit: Dug through the concept art, very nice! In the actual game though, I feel everything often seems a bit too clean.
    Especially the newly generated terrain under my base often ends up completely barren. I'd love it if plant life gradually covered at least the foundation pillars and the ground beneath my base. Also it would be nice if the rest of the base had at least some gradual weathering, dust and sand gathering in corners etc. Maybe make it removable in case not everyone wants it.

For reference, this is the Aquarius lab after nearly 25 years of operation, somewhat extreme but an interesting comparison! :smiley:
    DJ_LP3D_31_Thumbnail.jpg