p.res timers

SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited December 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
I've been playing a lot of Reflex recently, there's a ton of features I think would work well in NS2.

One thing is the item timers. This is a 'widget' (aka. mod) which shows the item spawn times graphically in the form of a timeline. I don't personally use this, because it's not allowed in competition - but it is a great tool for casual gaming for pubbers.

Here's what it looks like.
V7JXK9X.gif
Original thread and credit to user: apheleon

In-game video demo:

You can of course change position and shrink/enlarge as you please in reflex.

So what I would like to see for NS2, is a similar representation of when you have personal res for each lifeform or weapons.

Whether or not this should be allowed in competition should be considered and discussed. In Reflex it's not allowed and for good reason I think. In NS2, I personally don't think it's nearly as big of a deal. Either way, there should be a server option to disable it.

I think it's a good tool for casual pub play, and especially rookies. Whether it will be allowed in comp or not.

Comments

• LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't really see the point since your pres is visible on the HUD & scoreboard.

If it goes in, doubt people would even use it in comp.
  • IxianIxian Denmark Join Date: 2014-03-16 Member: 194783Members, Squad Five Blue
    Remembering the number 20, 35 and 55 is not as difficult to remember as several countdowns for powerups. However, I could see a mod where you are warned about timings by the mod, like at 19 Pres a message comes up saying :"LERK TIMING IMMINENT" and the same for 33 and 53. Even competitive players have been known to look at the pres, see 28 and cried out in agony because they could have saved nano with those lerks. I would still frown upon it somewhat in competitive though - just feels wrong somehow.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Oh no, not lifeform notification discussion again B)
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I'm not so sure of this. It isn't that necessary and we don't want to add more clutter to the ui.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    I'm not so sure of this. It isn't that necessary and we don't want to add more clutter to the ui.

It isn't that necessary.. Hmm.. I suppose not, but what IS necessary? Is the goal of the new development team not to improve player retention? This is a tool, that would aim to help rookies, and would hardly affect veterans at all.

As @Lambo puts it:
    Lambo wrote: »
    If it goes in, doubt people would even use it in comp.

Which I agree with. I think like you, that I personally would disable it, precisely to avoid the ui clutter. So I'd repeat, this addition would not affect veterans or competitive players much at all in my prediction.

But remember, this is not about you and me. This is about the rookies, who already have a ton of content that they have to filter through and keep track of. They have to find out on their own that babblers and webs are useless junk. They don't have time to study the evolvemenu or look at their p.res situation. Maybe they don't even know what p.res IS yet.

Now also imagine, a rookie who saved up his pres, because he didn't know better, and goes lerk against 2-2 marines, when he could've gone lerk 3 minutes earlier against 1-1 marines. Perhaps, statistically speaking, that rookie might survive a little bit longer and have a better experience than he otherwise would have.

If this suggestion truly is too cluttery, then I'd suggest putting it in the evolve/buy menus or perhaps even the scoreboard. Surely, there are some creative artists in the development team, who can set that up nicely.