Resource Renewal Rate?

ScorpionleaderScorpionleader Florida Join Date: 2015-12-18 Member: 210078Members
I don't own the game, but I was watching a Youtube video where the person said the resources don't renew. This wouldn't make sense to me because of having to craft renewables.

I don't want to get into a game to keep building batteries/power cells and countless other things, but I have to venture further and further away or abandon a place I call home to make a new home for a fresh resource palette. I am LAZY, and prefer to build a base and make it home. Short memory also has a little to do with not wanting multiple bases.

I'm not having much success with early access and developer's being in touch with the players reporting the errors, so I really want to be cautious now.

Comments

• Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited December 2015
    When i started there was a bit of a problem with some materials, but the costs for most things got balanced out and the more the map is growing the more stuff you can get. I have several 20h+ savegames and in none of them am i even close to running out of anything. Also they're working on farming trays right now to regrow the organic stuff, like vines and shrooms.

And for the nomadic lifestyle ... don't worry, moving over the map takes a good amount of time spent ingame ... and you find stuff literally everywhere. It's rare that i have to make an extra trip to stock up on something other than quartz or titanium and the seamoth has storage boxes now. You can have items for days as long as you always return to your base with your inventory full.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    I think it's mostly a good thing that resources don't renew. It drives you to explore away from your safe cocoon , which in turn makes you want a cyclops to operate away from your base. Once you obtain an upgraded seamoth along with that , you'll have all you need to explore for days on end.

I do agree that fish should respawn however , being a necessity to keep playing.
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
    technically you can sustain yourself with water filtration machines and creepvine farms, but it's tedious.

I too belive fish should respawn, and that's not because I eat them all, but because stalkers do. Several times After living close to a stalker (even in freedom mode) I found the vicinity of my base to be out of fishes.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Its not a good thing resources don't renew. It should depend.

Fish should renew itself assuming you did not fully empty everything in the first place. I mean, fish multiply dont they. Also you are not the only predator around.
    Which brings me to the point that predators should also renew.

I can totally imagine that non living resources do not just renew. Like quartz. But that does mean we need lategame tech to get more. Like a device which digs for materials or something.
    That I have to explore to FIND the fragment.. sure, no issue.
    That I can perhaps only do stuff in certain areas, like only on a geyser.. sure.. I can work with that.. again explore.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    That would be tiered access to finite resources , not them being renewable though. Which brings me to another point : Subnautica resources are very plentiful. With thorough exploration you'll have more than you can reasonably use.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I do agree it does become better with each area they are addind.
    Elavion wrote: »
    technically you can sustain yourself with water filtration machines and creepvine farms, but it's tedious.

I too belive fish should respawn, and that's not because I eat them all, but because stalkers do. Several times After living close to a stalker (even in freedom mode) I found the vicinity of my base to be out of fishes.

I have killed several stalkers in the past just to save the peeper population of half a biome. After they eat one, they go right for the next with enormous speed ... primitve AI they are u_u
  • Laff70Laff70 Earth Join Date: 2015-12-24 Member: 210251Members
    Huh, guess I'll just have to spawn some fish in near my base since the fish aren't respawning.
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    No worries, it's the land of milk and honey. Ok, it might depend on your endurance - but usually you get bored ages before you run out anything.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    yeah right now ressources are plentiful, no need for them to respawn except maybe fish as they do indeed breed by themselves. all the ores and crystals takes decades to centuries to form naturally, wouldnt be very realistic to respawn magically after only a few days imo ...
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    ... wouldnt be very realistic to respawn magically after only a few days imo ...

Like it's realistic to be able to build an underwater base by pointing a builder thing at the ground? Or building a Cyclops with half a dozen 'ingredients'?

Come on, this is a computer game where there needs to be a bit of suspension of real life. :)
    Myrm wrote: »
    Come on, this is a computer game where there needs to be a bit of suspension of real life. :)
    You are absolutely right. We need and we've got an enormous suspension travel right now. But hamming it up leads to one fundamental question: Where's the uninstall button?

lxh wrote: »
    You are absolutely right. We need and we've got an enormous suspension travel right now. But hamming it up leads to one fundamental question: Where's the uninstall button?

You're being overdramatic...
    lxh wrote: »

You're being overdramatic...

True, true, Captain. I've got a terabyte HD. *G
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited December 2015
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    ... wouldnt be very realistic to respawn magically after only a few days imo ...

Like it's realistic to be able to build an underwater base by pointing a builder thing at the ground? Or building a Cyclops with half a dozen 'ingredients'?

Valid points on which i agree with you on 100% :D the builder should indeed require lots more reagents to build stuff and the Cyclops recipe should require ALOT more stuff to build, like, ALOT ALOT more lol.

Its just that right now ressources are so abundant that really, we dont need respawning ressources. u need quartz? go anywhere at nighttime, theyre f**** everywhere :p I could see the need if someone played like 40+ hours per week for over 2 months on the same savegame maybe ...... has anyone really ran out of ressources in a game before? :P

Sshhh do not complain about the quartz being many. or this will nerf it to the void it was at first :P
  • coldsnapcoldsnap Join Date: 2015-12-26 Member: 210395Members
    I don't have any problems with resources running out, but my sea is starting to look a little barren. I'd love to see even more flora.
  • 6ismus6ismus Florida Join Date: 2015-12-30 Member: 210592Members
    I say they should add flora that can give you resources and then make the flora renewable or farmable.